1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Golf Game Update

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Nicholas25, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

The last 27 holes I have played I have shot 64, 65, 62 per 9. Did anyone else start out this way there first couple of months and then improve. I will be practicing in my yard and think I am getting better but then on the course I play to the scores you see above. Anymore advice or information. Thanks guys.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Nicholas, some folks, particularly those who are athletically gifted, can improve their scores by playing more. Others will take to the practice range and try different things, and sometimes they'll find something that will help them make better contact with the ball.

But as a general rule, few people ever improve their golf games without lessons from a professional. Your best bet is to go to the golf course where you regularly play and arrange with the pro to purchase a series of lessons. Not only can they see what you're doing wrong, they know what you can do to fix it.

The things the pro will suggest will feel awkward at first, but with enough practice they'll eventually start to feel natural.

Now, my favorite golf joke: A man had been a member of the Pebble Beach Golf Club in California for many years. One one hole, the second shot is all carry over water to the green. He had never gotten a ball over that water, so when he came to that spot on the course, he's drop an old, scuffed up ball, hit it into the water, take a penalty stroke and move on.

He was getting up in years. One day, he came to that spot, dropped an old ball on the ground, and prepared to hit it.

"Put down a new ball," roared a voice from heaven

"What?"

"I said put down a new ball," the thundrous voice from heaven replied.

"Wow, okayyy." He dropped a new ball.

"Take a practice swing," said the voice. He took a practice swing.

"Take another practice swing." He took another practice swing.

A few seconds of silence followed, then the voice from heaven said:

"Put down the old ball."

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

ROFL... No hope heh!

4. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Funny Tom,

Concerning golf perhaps I am a odd ball but I did not start playing until I was 48 but I have read and asked many questions concerning my golf game which started out in the 130's. The clubs make all the difference in the world go to a place where they can check your swing speed and length of club. I was using graphite shafts for the first 4 years and was as inconsistent as all get out. When I finally sprang the money for a good set of Hawkeye clones with one ounce of heel weight and steel (dynalite) low flex shafts my game turned around almost over night. Five years later with the same set of clubs I now shoot high eighties with no mulligans and break the mid eighties several times a year.
    Also my 3 iron and 3 fairway wood had to have 1/2' trimmed off.

Just a thought or two

Thjplgvp

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Grip and stance are key to getting your game off the ground.

Get good clubs that actually fit you.

Forget the driver. Forget the long irons. My best rounds when I took up golf were rounds where I left the driver at home. To this day I don't carry anything above a 5 iron but I do carry five woods (driver through 9 wood).

Practice the short game - don't go to a range that doesn't have an area for short game practice, or at least spend the bulk of your time hitting 7 irons and below off the grass.

Man, I love Golf! I wish my health would let me play more!

6. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

Golf Game

Guys, I broke out of the 60's and shot a 57 today. That's 5 strokes better than my previous best. I was terrible on the first 6 holes shooting 6, 6, 8, 8, 6, 6, 5, 8, 4. I putted very well today, my bad scores on the first 6 holes were bad because it took me so long to get it to the green, not because of bad putting. I shot 3 bogey's on the day which is the best I have did so far. Like I said I started out horribly. I swung and missed like 3 or 4 times on hole #4 while trying to hit the ball off of a bank. On hole #3 I hit the ball sideways into the ROUGH rough and had to take a drop because it couldn't be hit out. Anyway, it wasn't pretty but it was improvement and I will take it. Just for your info, I counted the swings and misses and I played a couple of drives that were ground balls, so we play our shots, we don't drive again. (I don't know if any of you guys do or not.)

7. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

shoot...i've been playing golf for 10 years and those are pretty close to my score per 9 holes still. My problem is that i'm lucky to get a round in per year. Not easy to improve playing that often.