1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Good Works"

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Ray Berrian, Aug 19, 2002.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is one gospel and one only, hrhema.
    The gospel, or good news, that Jesus Christ came to save sinners, and that His people now have a hope laid up for them in heaven.
    Good works is evidence of a grace-filled life but not a pre-requisite or a post-requisite for salvation.
    I think the real question is :
    what are the good works that pleases God ?

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe in the New Testament that it teaches where it refers to a reward that it is talking about heaven - not a reward that is earned by us but by Christ for us as He works out His will in our lives.

My real reference was to those that have developed elaborate schemes that there is a reward for this type of service, and a reward for this other type of service, and a reward for that type of service, etc. And one of the ways they try to motivate Christians to "work" for the Lord is by saying that if you do these things you can get all of these different rewards in heaven - and according to some dispensational premillennialists in a physical millennium on this earth.

Ken
    A Spurgeonite

3. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Rewards will be given by Christ at the Judgment Seat of Christ for our Christian service, not as a reward somhow attatched to our everlasting salvation. 'Good works' as distinctly separate from faith in Jesus. Our 'good works' never secure our final salvation. Solely by faith . . .

4. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I for one don't feel there are any rewards in heaven... To be in heaven is reward enough and since those who are there from the least of them to the greatest didn't do any work to get there everyone will have the same. The central figure will be Jesus Christ and all eyes will be on him. Rewards work in this world only and not in the next... Why do you think it is called Heaven!... We will all be satisfied equally!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

5. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

What do you think about the passage that talks about the crowns in heaven we receive based on our works? What about the chaff that is burned up with the precious metals and stones? What are those metals and stones?

SEC

6. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Tyndale1946,

When Jesus comes for His church He will reward those who love Him most because they have served Him the more faithfully. This truth cannot be expunged from a true believers mind and heart. Revelation 22:12 says, 'And, behold, I come quickly; and My reward is with me, to give every man--meaning {person} according as his work shall be.' At times we have to adjust what we think due to the greater authority of God's written Word. If we don't do this we teach other people error. [I Corinthians 3:13-14] Just because this truth was not included in Reformation Theology does not detract from its clearity and value to 21 century Christians. [​IMG]

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about the story that Jesus told where all of the workers received the same amount of pay regardless of how many hours of the day they had worked?

(Mat 20:9-10 NKJV) "And when those came who were hired about the eleventh hour, they each received a denarius. {10} "But when the first came, they supposed that they would receive more; and they likewise received each a denarius.

Ken
    A Spurgeonite

8. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Another couple of verses to include in an adjusted theology is Matthew 16:24-25 and especially 27. Jesus said, 'For the Son of man shall come in the glory of His Father with his angels; and then He shall reward every person according to his or her works.' The rewards are not levied during this life time, but at the gathering of the church to Heaven at His glorious coming. But as someone has said, the greatest reward will be to see Jesus.

9. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Ken Hamilton,

I believe and think that He was saying that only He will decide the reward of all of His saints. Just because someone is a celebrated, national, teacher and/or preacher, does not necessarily mean that he will receive His great rewards. What about the fully dedicated linguist/missionary to a nation in Africa. One would think that God would also, highly honor this kind of dedication to Him. What do you think?

10. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is Good Works for here or for there?... Good Works are for here and now!... You do the work you eat the good of the land and if you don't you suffer! All the Law and the Prophets hinge on the two great commandments!...

Matthew 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets... This is the work that the Lord commands us to do... Love the Lord entirely, completely with everthing we have... And love our neighbor as ourself!... Like Goliath the Philistine who had a sheild bearer... I'm sure we will be all know Apostle Paul as he will be the one there with a crown bearer as his will be so big he will need another to bear it for him!... Post the scripture that shows us receiving crowns in heaven... Lets get some scriptures for this and see what it really means?... I'm not convinced!... Brother Glen :confused:

11. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is one for you brethren that believe in crowns... Revelation 7:9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;

10 And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb... They already have the crown of eternal life and are Gods blood bought children that will live in eternal bliss in eternity in Heaven... Opps the writer John The Revelator must have left out the crowns... They are not there brethren!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

12. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Argument from silence... Logical fallacy.

He also did not mention anything about the streets of gold, so are those not there either?

13. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

tyndale1946,

I must correct you. The Apostle John did speak about personal crowns for His saints. In the same book that you said nothing is said about crowns we find these words. 'Behold I come quickly; hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.' [Revelation 3:11]

Also, study I Cor. 9:25; Phil. 4:1; I Thess. 2:19; II Tim. 4:8; James 1:12; I Peter 5:4; and Rev. 2:10 & 3:11.

Rewards are earned by works. [Matt. 10:42; Luke 19:17; I Cor. 9:24-25; II Tim. 4:7-8; Rev. 2:10 & 22:12]

Rewards are a future attainment, to be given at the coming of the Lord. [Matt. 16:27; II Tim. 4:8; Rev. 22:12] The last three paragraphs are borrowed from the late Rev. Dr. C.I. Scofield.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My bottom line view on rewards:

I want to be with my Savior forever in heaven and I am not going to worry about what kind of "rewards" beyond that I may or may not receive. In my opinion, I think to teach people they should be working for rewards is wrong as I think it fosters the wrong kind of attitude in our service to God. I believe there will be differentiation between the saved in heaven as Jesus said places have been prepared on His right and His left to John's and James's mother. But He didn't say that we are to aim for those places.

Ken
    A Spurgeonite

[ August 26, 2002, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Ken Hamilton ]

15. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I believe in a works doctrine to get me to heaven then I have let someone take my crown. Since Jesus Christ came we are made kings and priests unto God and made to sit in heavenly places... Since I believe in Salvation by Grace... Of and through Jesus Christ I still have mine. Paul to the Galatian brethren... Galatians 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?... Looks to me like some unsound doctrine came in and stole their crown. Not eternal life but their joy and peace in Christ Jesus as they live in the world. Jesus Christ is my all in all thereby my crown!... You other brethren are free to your own thoughts... Those are mine!... Brother Glen :D

16. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Are Christians allowed the liberty to accept and reject Scriptures that have not been part of their basic, theological understanding? Or Are we supposed to grow in our understanding a spiritual depth as time goes by?

The answer to the first question is No.

The answer to the second question is Yes.

17. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ray... Say What?... Brother Glen :confused:

18. Me2

Me2 New Member

Good Works are works of God Through His Children..

There is None Good But God.

God Is Love

Good Works are God Works

Works of Love...That was too Easy..

Now Heres The Tricky Part....
    Your Life Begins At Birth...Being Born Again
    only your Life "In The Spirit" will Exist For Eternity.
    If Your A Carnal Christian....Your Life Is But A Dream...only To Be Forgotten upon awakening.
    So now...Treasures, Gifts,Fruits,Crowns, Rewards..

A Spirit Filled christian is a Becoming a Living testament.
    Memories, Experiences, Knowledge of Self.
    Our Lives Become Important When We Realize That Is Gods Plan For Our Lives.. A Living Testament. Only To Be Recorded While Giving God Glory By Living Our Life interracting with our Fellow Man. Both here and after death.
    Expressing Compassion....Showing forgiveness and mercy to people who needs it. Witnessing who we are..Who We Represent.
    Some of Yall Want To See Jesus...Look In The Mirror... In Eternity it will Be God (Christ) Expressing Himself Through YOU To Everyone Else....
    So While here on Earth..We Get Practice..with Resistance. And Our Training continues. The Recorder Is Always on if You Are "In The Spirit". Think of Sliding into Carnality...Sinning..anything that does not glorify God...You Will Remove From Your Memory...

Loseing Rewards..your Just Forcing Yourself To Forget A Part Of Your Life That Dishonors Yourself and God....Everything That Dishonors God Will Be Forgotten!..and He Chooses

So Do You Want To Know (yourself) As You Are Known By God.
    Or Will This Life Be Just A Dream.

Better Practice That Love God / Love Man...Thats What Your Becoming..A High Priest.
    And Few There Be That Find It..While Everyone else Is Not Forgiving Their Enemies or Not Denying Self To The Degree God Demands You To.....Its Just A Dream.

Me2
    [​IMG]

19. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

KayDee,

Your statements are good, basic spiritual truths that we need to hear from time to time. I'll be many Calvinists would like to blacken out verses to do with 'good works.' Our Lord must have had a reason to place them in His codified Book. I wonder why? [​IMG]

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ray,

I have no desire to blacken out any verse in the Bible, :rolleyes: , just like I am sure you have no desire to blacken any verse in the Bible either, even the ones that teach man's total inability to save himself, unconditional election, particular redemption, effectual calling, and the preservation and perseverance of the saints.

Ken
    A Spurgeonite