1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Good year coming for Paterno, Penn State?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by robycop3, Aug 9, 2005.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I recognize Joe Paterno an an all-time-great coach, not just for his winning record, but also for his above-question integrity and his loyalty and spokesmanship for his school. He has never seriously considered leaving Peen State for "greener pastures", even at the height of success & lucrative offers from the pros.

I'd like to see the grand ole man have one more great season! How does this year's Penn State team look to YOU?

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I personally think that 7 or 8 wins is about the best they can do, but it seems do-able with their schedule. 7 wins will probably send them to the Sun or Music City Bowl. The Alamo Bowl would be a coup for them. I hope that too much will not be expected of the new WR (Williams, I think). Less than five wins and I wonder if the natives won't get restless. Expectations seem to be a little higher this year.

JoePa is indeed one of a kind. I personally think PSU's uniforms look like practice outfits and the helmets needed overhauling years ago (Like putting the baseball cap logo on the helmets...beautiful). I digress...JoePa deserves all the time he wants. He won't get that luxury. No one gets that luxury anymore.

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a silly farce to think any college football coach who has had great success has real integrity, and "above-question" is preposterous. Since I am questioning it, it is herebly disproved. His loyalty to PSU and the projects he has helped push through are apparently true; but of course that does get him more acclaim and fortune, also. Meaning, for one thing, that he could never be fired even if he coaches another 10 years with a 40-85 record.

4. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

I wouldn't count on that! Several bad losing seasons will mean "retirement" for Paterno. Don't know how and why he's still coaching.

5. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Penn State needs some young blood on their coaching staff if they want to imporve, plain and simple. I don't think they will manage to win many games this year, all though they do have a favorable scheduale, so who knows.

6. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Joe has stayed too long. If he were truly loyal to PSU, he would have gotten out of the way. They are at least 3 recruiting classes away from being truly competitive again.

His staying has squandered one of the great recruiting monopolies of all time. At one time, PSU got every good player from Maryland to Maine. Pennsylvannia plays great HS football and NY isn't bad. That would be comparable to a one school monopoly of California.

For all this... I am grateful. I respected Paterno but never liked the Nittany Lions... whatever that is.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Penn State did land the top two recruits that came into the Big Ten this year, according to Rivals.com. I, too, am not a big Penn State fan, but I don't think it's out of the question that they can have some success. Remember, conventional wisdom said Penn State would run roughshod over the Big Ten once they came in. They forgot to tell that to Michigan, Ohio State, and Iowa, who seem to have a lock on the top three spots. Throw in the fact that Purdue, Michigan State, and Wisconsin can be counted on to be pretty good once in a while, and Penn State suddenly is lucky to be "good."

8. BroTom64

BroTom64 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Joe is looking for one more great year to retire on. But if he gets one that falls short of the National Championship the temptation to stay and do better will be almost overwhelming. I wouldn't mind seeing him go out a winner. But I don't think it can happen anytime soon.

9. hamricba

hamricba New Member

D.J. Dozier in the house