1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured GOP Congress Hypocrisy :Zika Bill Fail

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Zaac, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not entertain compromise instead of labeling everything a poison pill. Or better yet, why not fund Planned Parenthood in a stand alone bill?

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Was there any reference to PP in the original appropriations bill? Why come back and add those stipulations unless you didn't want it approved?

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The funding is in the general appropriations bill. To de-fund it the GOP should introduce a stand alone bill and see if they can push it through.

They, the GOP, should not put living people and unborn children at risk by adding an ear mark they know will result in the entire bill being killed. It does show their stance on the unborn is a sham.

4. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Three words: Line item veto.

Then, if something is distasteful enough, it will have to stand on it's own merits.

5. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I thought about the line item veto also. My personal opinion is that while the line item veto is an attractive concept at first glance. But looking at it in a long-term way I believe it gives the president, any president, far too much power. Can you imagine how much damage a pernicious president could do with this power.

The line item veto bill of 1996 was passed but did not live past a quick judicial review.

6. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I agree. It is not a magical, perfect solution.

How about this, a line item veto power that is only usable in years with deficit spending.

7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find myself actually agreeing with Crabtownboy! Every bill should stand alone. And every amendment to any bill should be required to address the content of the bill and nothing else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only problem with that, TCassidy, is that the lazy lawmakers would have to write and vote on bill after bill - it's simply easier on them this way.

There is NO "poison pill" in this ZIka bill, and Rubio tried hard to pass a "clean one" in the spring, but the left didn't want that either. Their big beef is that there isn't an earmark for their precious PP.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

That's what I'm reading, too. The original bill was brought up, and the Dems down voted it, because it didn't contain an earmark for PP. Now that there is, and the GOP wants to take it out, suddenly the GOP are the hypocrites, when it was the Dems who shot it down in the first place. It's unreal the twists and lies people are throwing at the GOP. And these same lies are being propagated on this very site.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, and they're STILL lying:

A leftist will lie and if PP is involved in any way, they will always lie.