1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gordon-Conwell Charlotte

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone know anything about Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary in Charlotte?

I had previously ruled them out but their class format allows one to drive in and then leave and not have to move to Charlotte (found this out today when I got their catalog). They have a strong MDiv program that has thus caught my attention (hebrew, greek, etc). They also have a MA/New Testament program. I am not sure which program to go for since I already have one MA/Religion. That will be a matter of prayer and counsel. However I am now considering this school (it and Luther Rice).

Any graduates of Gordon-Conwell (any location)? Anyone know of the school by reputation?

Martin.

2. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Martin,

I'm doing my D.Min. at Gordon-Conwell out of the Charlotte campus.

The president of G-C is my former professor of OT, Walter Kaiser.

I would highly recommend this school.

3. panicbird

panicbird New Member

It is quite expensive, with little in the way of financial aid (at least that was my impression when I looked there).

Anyone else know anything about the school? Is my assessment of the financial aid situation accurate?

Lon

4. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't speak for the school, but I've heard good things about Walter Kaiser.

You might investigate Southern Evangelical, also in Charlotte, whose president is Norman Geisler.

5. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

I took about 10 classes at GCTS (Hamilton) toward an MDiv 20 years ago. I was very impressed then with the brilliant profs and conservative theology. I know several people that attend currently who also have great things to say about their experience.
    Did Dr. Kaiser teach at TEDS before GCTS?

6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. In 1980 he replaced my uncle, Kenneth Kantzer, as Dean of Faculty. Uncle Kenneth had been Dean since 1962. In 1992 Dr. Hunter replaced Dr. Kaiser as academic dean and senior vice president of education.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom - why opt to go to Central Seminary if you had "kin" as the dean of another school?

Sorry to hijack this briefly, but just got me wondering. BTW, I have no knowledge of this campus but great respect for Dr. Kaiser.

8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because I am a Baptist. Not just a Baptist, but a BAPTIST. Not just a BAPTIST, but a BAPTIST. Not just a BAPTIST, but a BAPTIST. Just to be on the safe side you better add a frame around that and put a light behind it blinking on and off.

Get the picture? :D :D :D

As for TEDS (now Trinity International University) it is one of the top rated schools in the world. Very impressive faculty. And a huge and very nice campus north of Chicago.

My uncle had a BA from Ashland College an MA in History from Ohio State University. A BDiv & ThM from Faith Theological Seminary and a ThD from Harvard.

My cousin Richard, his son, has a BA from Trinity College, an MA & MDiv from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, another MA and a PhM and a PhD from Yale. He has been at Bethel for about 15 years.

Smart runs in the family. [​IMG]

9. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

What little I have heard about it, it is a good school.