1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gospel of the Wolves

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by jimraboin, Sep 7, 2002.

1. CatholicConvert

CatholicConvert New Member

Just the fact that they were considering it shows that they have no idea what they're talking about. Don't you find it disturbing that you a member of the laity know better than the American Bishops?

Well, first of all, yes, it does bother me. And it equally bothers me that most of the American RC laity will read this ^#&^%@$(*& and think that it has some validity. The laity in the country are without a doubt some of the dumbest human beings I have ever encountered. Most of them do not know their Bibles, can't defend the Catholic Faith, and are political ignoramouses. This is why pro-abortion candidates keep getting elected despite the official position against abortion in the Church. Here in Pennsylvania, democrats can COUNT on the heavily Catholic areas of Pittsburg and Philadelphia and their surrounding counties to carry the state for them. Shame, shame, shame!!! :mad:

And WHERE, pray tell, are the bishops in all this? Where are they in leading the movement to excommunicate all those who are pro-death politicians? Where are they in making pointed pronouncements against the culture of death politicians and those who would vote for them? That RAT Jesse Jackson can go to black assemblies and preach against Republicans and for Democratic candidates and NOTHING -- NOTHING -- is done to him or the assembly he goes to for breaking the law. :mad: :confused: Where are the priests and bishops who will do the same and then willingly drag these hypocritical politicians into court to either make them be totally fair or once and for all show them for the hypocrites they are?

All this said, (and believe me, I was JUST WARMING UP!!) the doctrines of the Church are still officially correct. This piece of garbage paper from the bishops is just that -- a piece of garbage paper. It has no force. And until either the Holy Father or the Magisterium changes established doctrine into heresy, I will allow the Church to be filled with morons if necessary. After all, at one time, all of the Church except St. Athanasius and the pope were Arian heretics. Did the Church stop being the Church during this period of time?

Of course, ultimately, they are not my bishops anyway, so I can call them idiots. I am an Eastern Catholic and we do not have the problems the Roman Church is having and has developed since Vatican II. In fact, we keep getting refugees from Rome who wish to keep affiliation with Rome, but are fed up with "Guitar Masses" and other such eclessiastical nonsense. I assume this last paper will see another wave of immigrants hit the shores of our Church.

Brother Ed

2. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

Jim,

Perhaps CatholicConvert has a point related to your topic in asking his question.

Why do you not answer directly?

"Will a devout Jew, one who is still waiting for a Messiah, be in Heaven?"

Ron [​IMG]

3. trying2understand

Actually it wasn't even that.

It was written by lay members of a committee.

The portion that most find offensive was written by the Jewish member of the committee. It doesn't represent Catholic thought at any level.

Read it again with that understanding and it becomes very obvious.

Ron

[ September 09, 2002, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: trying2understand ]

4. Nimrod

Nimrod New Member

I agree. Who is to blame? Protestants? Fundamentals?

Sometime in the future I would like to discuss with these ignorant laity and show them the Roman Catholic view and the Protestant view.
    But this is another topic.

5. trying2understand

One thought is that your reading comprehension could be better.

Let's isolate the relevant words:

"...the exposition of the faith was neither made rashly nor at random, but that it was dictated with much research, and after strict investigation: and not that some things were spoken of, while others were suppressed in silence; but that whatever could be fittingly advanced in support of any opinion was fully stated."

Let's break it down further:

"not rashly nor random"

but instead was

"dictated with research and investigation"

as opposed to

"things not being spoken of"

or

"surpressed in silence"

That you read this to mean some person was surpressed in silence causes me to wonder how carefully you are proceeding in your studies in this regard. Are you excercising care to discover truth or scanning to find something to support your preconceptions?

Ron

[ September 09, 2002, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: trying2understand ]

6. trying2understand

Jim, do a web search on "Fred Phelps" and "Westboro Baptist Church" and "Jew".

Then come back and tell me about the spirit of Baptists.

If you can validly point to the words of one man and claim him to represent the spirit of all of Catholicism then justice demands that you allow the same to be said for Baptists.

Do you see my point?

Ron

7. jimraboin

jimraboin Guest

Ron,

The reason I continually reference Constantine is because he is the founder of all institutional Gentile Christianity. The doctrines, creeds, system of governance etc...come from his Council of Nicaea.

Yes, even your Baptist institution builds heavily upon Constantine, even though you are not yet seeing it.

Let's stick to finding this gospel of wolves. Using hind sight we should easily be able to find it historically.

Jim

8. trying2understand

Why do want to just gloss over your prior posts?

You thought that this was very important; so important that you wanted us to "jot it down". I would like to see your address this.

Did you look into Phelp's words? Doesn't justice call for equal application of standards? Are you willing to say that the gospel espoused by Phelps is also a wolverine gospel?

I'm sorry, but I would like you to support your prior assertions first.

BTW, did anyone else catch it?

"Yes, even your Baptist institution builds heavily upon Constantine, even though you are not yet seeing it."

Freudian slip? Movement of the Spirit? ;)

Ron [​IMG]

9. suzanne

suzanne New Member

Just a little information about the animosity that the Jews and Christians have against the Messianic Jews.

The Messianics did not help with the fight during the war in which the temple was destroyed (70AD I think). After this war the Jewish nation was very fragmented.

The Gentile church was building momentum. The Jews were writing down their laws to counteract the writings from the Christians. Politically it was advantagous for the Gentiles to organize the church and gain power through conformity. Anything outside of this conformed orthodox view was seen as the enemy.

The Messiancs were viewed by the Jews as not fully Jewish because they claimed Yeshua as Messiah, plus the history of them not fighting in the civil war.

The Gentiles didn't like the Messiancs, because, even though they believed in Jesus as the Messiah, they still kept their traditions and kept Torah. This unorthodox view did not fit with what developing in the church so the Messiancs were persecuted.

Constantine did not allow Messianic Jews to take part in the council at Nicaea because they were not considered Christians under the orthodox definition. Ironic isn't it?

This travesty may have it's foundation in the Roman Church, but there are many denomination and sects that have also done the same thing.

suzanne

10. susanpet

susanpet New Member

I have Catholic cousins that live in another state. They believe that as long as you believe "in something" you are alright.
    I try to witness to them when I see them and they just want to change the subject.

There is one mediator between man and God and that is Jesus Christ, not Mary or some priest!

Do you Catholics here ever read a bible?

Susan

11. CatholicConvert

*sigh* More ignoramouses. Not a very good witness to the truth or the Catholic Faith I would say.

Susan....yes, we do read the Bible. Reading the Bible is what converted me to the Catholic Faith. When I read the Bible, when I study it, I find the Catholic Faith in it from Genesis to Revelations.

I do NOT find any reference in it, however, to a "rapture of the Church", "altar calls", "invitations to receive Jesus", "profession of faith", or other some such.

Don't you Baptists read the Bible?

Cordially in disagreement,

Brother Ed

12. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

I can't wait for the day when people actually read our tiresome posts on these matters and stop stating the obvious (obvious in that it's obviously not a Catholic belief and obvious that no Christian would believe otherwise).

13. susanpet

susanpet New Member

Name calling doesn't help .
    I am not stupid. I know that you pray to Mary and confess your sins to a priest.

Lighting candles and the roseary are not in the bible either.

14. trying2understand

Susan, CatholicConvert wasn't referring to you. I believe that he was referring to your cousins if what you say concerning what they believe is accurate.

Perhaps, it may be productive to talk with them about it. They may mean something different than you are understanding.

Ron

15. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

Look at what you say here, and what you said first:

"There is one mediator between man and God and that is Jesus Christ, not Mary or some priest!"

Praying to Mary does not add another mediator between God and man. It makes an intercessor between us and Christ, the same that we do for each other here on earth.

Confessing sins to a priest does not make a mediator between God and man, but between us and Christ. And while you may disagree on the interpretation, it's been shown time and time again that confession is Scripturally grounded, and that the priest is not forgiving your sins, but Christ is, through the priest's spoken words.

Don't try to change what you said to make it look like you didn't really say it. ;)

16. suzanne

suzanne New Member

Can we get back to topic? :rolleyes:

I know this forum is for other religions and doctrines and I assumed the conversation would be adult-like without the petty quibbling, name calling and spit balls.

And the religion bashing is very unbecoming of ladies and gentlemen as I hope you would all agree.

What do you think of the comments I made? True, false, didn't know, did know...don't care.

suzanne (putting aside her Emily Post voice) :D

[ September 12, 2002, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: suzanne ]

17. CatholicConvert

Susan dear --

I was calling yer cousins ignoramouses, and it is pretty clear by yer description that this is EXACTLY what they are!!

Which should be a SCANDAL to their bishops!! In fact, the bishops ought to be SURE that NO ONE in their diocese is unable to defend from Scripture the faith catholic.

NO ONE!!

And the fact that there are people who not only cannot, but who don't care to, should be scandalous.

It was people like this who kept me from being interested in the Catholic Church AT ALL when I was younger. After all, if Jesus is so UNIMPORTANT to you that you don't know anything about Him -- well, THAT is certainly unimpressive, isn't it?!?

No....no blood, no foul, okay? I was not referring to you, but I'd bet a dollar to a donut that you have thought the same thing of your cousins in the deepest part of yer heart!

Cordially in Christ,

Brother Ed

18. jimraboin

jimraboin Guest

Good post Suzanne. Thank you for bringing this discussion back.

What I would like to add is that God built, established and confirmed his Body in Israel. Israel is the key. It doesn't matter what Gentiles thought. They were supposed to conform to the pattern God set up in Israel. Consider:

1 Thessalonians 2:14-16

Thoughts?

Jim

19. trying2understand

Well, Jim, let's look at the practices of today's Messianic Jews, who by the way believe that they are practicing the same as Jewish Christians of the first century.

A majority of the Messianic congregations in the United States are "charismatic" (believing in tongues, healing, etc.)

Congregations typically call their leader a Rabbi.

They generally observe the Shabbat (Sabbath), starting at sundown on Friday night.

Many continue the practice of circumcision of male newborns.

Many Messianic Jews keep the strict rabbinical kosher dietary laws.

They observe all of the traditional Jewish holidays, such as Passover, Succoth, Shavuot, etc.

Tell me, Jim, could Messianic Jews who believe in tongues, obeserve the Sabbath starting at sundown on Friday, call their local religious leader Rabbi, keep kosher, circumcise their children as a religious custom, and observe all of the traditional Jewish holidays, join your little church without changing their beliefs or customs?

Be careful how you answer. Someone may judge the spirit of your church.

Ron

20. suzanne

suzanne New Member

:confused: Can you say this in a different way?
    (sorry, must be thick today)
    Obviously they did not conform and threw out those who did

Please note.
    II Thess. So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the teachings (traditions) we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter.

The church in Thessalonia was being persecuted on both sides, by the Jews and by the pagans which they had converted from. But they were still continuing in what they had been taught.

[​IMG]