1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grace and love are lost virtues...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jw, Dec 12, 2005.

1. jw

jw New Member

I say this for two reasons. One, the attacks on other Christians, such as C.S. Lewis and Eugene Peterson, on this board have been despicable. Just because you do not agree with every point of the man's theology does not make him a lost sinner. And it certainly does not merit the attacks against him.

Everyone loves quoting John 4:1 "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world." But ignores John 4:2-3 "Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that [spirit] of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world."

It does not say "test the spirits by whatever criteria you can think to come up with." It gives a very specific test, and neither of these men can be condemned by it.

Second I post this because I just came back from the worst ordination counsel I have ever witnessed. A good, godly friend of mine was just completely raked over the coals for two reasons:
    1. He was a Calvinist and no one else on the counsel was.
    2. He said, depending upon the circumstances, when he gets to China he may or may not use the name "Baptist" - but he would teach Baptist doctrine.

They claimed his Calvinistic view would hinder his church and there was no point in him even going to the field, despite his profession that he had a heart for the lost people of China and that he would preach the gospel to every man, not just those whom he deemed "elect" - which is unknowable to man.

What about Judson, and Hudson Taylor? Being 5 pointers didn't seem to slow them down or hinder their work. What about Spurgeon? Was his church a detriment to Christianity? Did he fail to win the lost?

A few of the men were livid over him not dogmatically saying he would use the name "Baptist" in his church. HE'S GOING TO CHINA FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. What does it matter? He said he was going to preach Baptist doctrine! What does the name matter? Once again, look at Spurgeon! He didn't have any denomination in the name of his church (it wasn't even called a church, it was called Metropolitan Tabernacle!) and it didn't hurt him any!

My soul.. I'm just disgusted right now. Needed to blow off a little steam, thanks for letting me vent [​IMG]