1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grudem Bush Has Been a Success

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Martin, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "He is changing world history in a right direction, a direction that will give more freedom for everyone to determine their own governments and their own religion, and, of significance to me as a Christian, more freedom for the proclamation of the Gospel around the world"

==Sorry while I disagree. Bush's policies have created more unrest in the Middle East, has brought together two of America's most serious enemies in that area (Iran/Syria), and has given them a third partner (Iraq). He has gotten us "stuck" in a war he refuses to win. He has also expanded the size of government, and has jumped with both feet into nation building. After having the White House and both houses of congress Roe v. Wade is still law. I could go on, and on, and on.

In my judgment George W Bush will be judged as a failed president.

Btw, this is not partisan. I am a republican. I voted for Bush twice.

"Overall, Grudem said Bush “clearly identifies himself as an evangelical Christian” who regularly reads the Bible and believes it...he is a man who is not ashamed of his Christian testimony"

==Bush is a universalist, Grudem should know this. However I guess people see/hear what they want to.

Link

#1 Martin, Nov 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2006
  2. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Well stated (I too voted for Bush twice :( )

3. ScottF

ScottF New Member

Historically, the most successful presidents have always been the ones who hold the bible in high regard and read and studied form it regularly. I don't think Bush particularly holds the bible in very high regard, let alone read and study from it regularly.
    Look at Thomas Jefferson for example. This guy said the bible was the greatest book he ever read and pronounced it the infallible word of God. So did Lincoln. In fact, Lincoln quoted from the bible extensively during the civil war in many of his speeches and adresses.
    Now compare these "great presidents" to the ones who have been generally accepted as "failed presidents" (Grant, Carter, Clinton, etc.). When was the last time you heard Bush quote from the bible?
    These "lesser" presidents tend not to mention anything about the bible whatsoever. Interesting isn't it?

#3 ScottF, Nov 21, 2006
  4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably not that interesting.

Let's look at Jefferson, who considered himself an authority on what Jesus really meant, so much that he excised parts of the New Testament he considered spurious. His second term was pretty much an unmitigated disaster, anyway. (A commonplace, by the way.)

Lincoln was an avid student of the King James Bible, and especially of the King James Bible's cadences, which echo in his public addresses. I would not be tempted, however, to draw too much theology out of his quotations. Although he was raised Primitive Baptist, he didn't have much use for organized religion but seemed to dwell of predestinarianism (fatalism, actually) as he continued in office.

I can't imagine any modern president being more familiar with the Bible than Carter, and it didn't mean he was a successful president.

If anyone can provide any proveable correlation between presidents and their knowledge (and espousing of) the Bible, I would love to see it.

5. ScottF

ScottF New Member

Carter displayed himself publicly to be a "southern bible christian" alright, but he was also a liberal. And liberalism and the bible just simply don't mix. The two contradict eachother by nature. They just cancel eachother out and aren't compatible at all. Simple as that. Just like oil and water don't mix, never have, never will.

#5 ScottF, Nov 21, 2006
  6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Bush Sr. said his Son read the Bible twice. Not once, twice.

You mean how the early Church sold all the had and brought the proceeds to the Church who in turn distributed the wealth as needed? Is that the concervative Church?

7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    So ... being conversant with the Bible (actually knowing what is says and trying to live by it) counts if someone agrees with your politics and doesn't count if it disagrees with your politics? Glad we got that straightened out.

8. ScottF

ScottF New Member

Not to mention the fact that the Holy Spirit must be working in that particular president to be able to understand and interpret what the bible is saying. That is why the bible is so difficult to understand to so many people. Some may read it but most simply don't understand it because the Holy Spirit isn't teaching them the meaning. Remember; the author of the bible is God. That is why it is so hard to understand to a non-christian and even a christian who doesn't have the Holy Spirit working through him. This has probably happened to more than one president I'm sure. It's pretty clear wich presidents had the Holy Spirit on their side (Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, etc.) and which ones didn't (Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, etc.).

1 Corinthians 2:11 proves my point:

For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God

#8 ScottF, Nov 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2006
  9. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Can I buy a pair of those rose-colored glasses? :rolleyes:

10. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Nonsense.... :rolleyes:

(BTW, I find it quite interesting that you completely ignored LeBuick's analogy. No wonder you seem to think Jefferson held the Bible in great regard. Seems you like to pick and choose also)