1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

guestbook scripts

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Aaron, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is cgi and perl? I see cgi alot, especially in the BB URL's.

I imagine that is the script that allows us to interact with the web site.

I want to put a guestbook on my home page. All the scripts I can find are cgi/perl. Do I have to have cgi or perl software on my computer to use it? I'll be in touch with the account rep on my new server about the same thing.

Does anyone know of an older script for a guestbook that I can just insert into the html on my pages?

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    CGI stands for "common gateway interface"; it's a way of interacting with web pages.

Normally, your server has a folder called "cgi-bin"; you put your cgi programs in that folder, because it has permissions to read/write/execute commands. Most of the other folders your files are in are not set up that way.

Perl is a programming language. Initially started as a text-handling language, and quickly become something even more powerful.

If your server can handle PHP (another programming language), I've recently gotten hold of a really simple and easily installed guestbook script.

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cool; I personally couldn't get that script to run correctly. I would also advise that you check this script out very carefully; everything I read about it points to security flaws. Considering that the web site you found it on shows a 1995 date, I'm doubtful that that particular version has fixed the security holes.