1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hail to the Lord's Anointed (Psalm 72) & tune

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Haruo, May 11, 2003.

1. Haruo

Haruo New Member

Our Bible study this evening will be on Psalm 72, and whenever possible I like to get us to sing the psalm we are reading/studying. This is a great one as it has yielded (by the pen of James Montgomery, one of my favorite hymn lyricists) one of my favorite hymns, "Hail to the Lord's Anointed". The most common tune for it seems to be Ellacombe, though in Northern Baptist hymnals it has usually been set to Sheffield ("British Grenadiers") and this is my own preferred tune for the hymn. I'd be interested in knowing whether any of you sing it, and if so what verses and to what tune.

Here are the verses given in The Cyber Hymnal [click] which also gives Crüger, Woodbird and Zoan as alternative melodies; I have bolded the stanzas I am accustomed to seeing in hymnals:

I have lately noticed a revision of this hymn by Bert Polman (1985; © 1987 CRC Publications), in some places bringing it closer to the psalm text, in the Psalter Hymnal (of the Christian Reformed Church, a pædobaptist Calvinist outfit of Dutch Reformed and Huguenot antecedents) where it is #72 and set to Es flog ein kleins Waldvogelein, apparently just another name for Woodbird:

Haruo

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nice hymn. The update seems to be pretty good too.

Seems the Hassler/Bach Passion Chorale would be a good tune too.

Ellacombe is the tune to which I have traditionally sung Watts "I Sing the Mighty Power of God," which in the Cyberhymnal is listed as an alternate.

I SING THE MIGHTY POWER OF GOD IN CYBERHYMNAL

3. DanielFive

DanielFive New Member