1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

hair length/head covering

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jewel, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Jewel

Jewel New Member

I know this was discussed some in the thread about womans hair, but I didn't want to hijack that thread. So, here's my questions: How many of you believe in/practice covering the head for worship, for women? How short is too short for womans hair? (And I'm talking about older teen and up, not little girls.;)) And on a different note, how long is too long for guys hair? For example, two of my brothers have hair a little past their shoulders. They usually keep it tied back, kind of like a low ponytail. Is this length okay, or not?
    Thanks in advance!

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

As for length, the bible does not give us a certain number for length, so many inches, too long or too short. But some will tell you their opinion is biblical, when it's not.

3. JerryL

JerryL New Member

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A joke, right?

5. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Listen to the sermon. He is a fudamentalist preacher that did a doctorate on hair.The sermon is about 15 minutes long.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What...J.I. Clippers doesn't have a sermon on hair length?

7. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

And some wonder why people make fun of fundies. Hairology! I googled this idiot and still can't believe its not a hoax. Listen to the "sermon" its hilarious. Gotta be a joke.

8. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

The guy is a genius:

Well, long hair is out. Short hair is in. And alas, long hair denouncing homilies are seldom heard anymore. But for those of you longing to take a stroll down memory lane, give a listen to a masterpiece of hairology humor by my dear friend and mentor, Dr. James O. Combs. Under the guise of his altar ego, Dr. G.I. Barber, he preaches a sermon entitled, “Shameful Long-Haired Men, Sinful Short-Haired Women, and Sad Sham-Haired Preachers.” You’ll laugh until you cry. And you might just get a little nostalgic as you remember with fond affection the days of the long-hair sermon.

http://www.gracewayonline.com/content/view/31/9/

For those who grew up listening to Jack Hyles will really appreciate this. I haven't laughed this hard in years.

9. JerryL

JerryL New Member

It is a comedy routine. G.I. Barber is the alter-ego of James O. Combs, provost of Louisiana Baptist University. Here is a link for more info. http://www.gracewayonline.com/content/view/31/9/

10. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

Upper GI :applause: :applause:

Scissors of the Lord:applause:

You need to post this on the Fundamentalist Board.

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

That was great...........:)

[​IMG]

12. Danny Hurley

Danny Hurley New Member

hair lenth/head covering

Hair is Very important, and the Lord is very interested in how we wear our hair. If you notice chapter 6, in Numbers when a person would seperate themselves to vow a vow of a Nazarite, to seperate themselves unto the Lord. one of the things they could not do was to cut their hair, after the days of of their separation was completed, they were to shave their heads and take the hair of their head and put it in the fire which is under the sacrifice of the peace offerings. The priest shall then takes the sodden shoulder of the ram, and one unleavened cake of the basket, and one unleavened wafer, and shall put them upon the hands of the Nazarite, after the hair of his separation is shaven. This was revealed to Ezekiel, 44-20 Neither shall they shave their heads, nor suffer their locks to grow long; they shall only poll their heads. IMO poll is to cut. When Paul is writing to the Corinthians he stated that nature itself taught that it was a shame for a man to have long hair, but long hair was a glory to a woman. When we try to say that we don't know how long is long, we deceive ourselves, God would NOT reveal to Paul by the Holy Spirit to write this and not let us understand how we should wear our hair. women, have something special on their head that a man can't have its power that God has given them, they should be thankful if they have long hair.

13. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

I'm giving a lecture on 1 Cor 11.2-16 on Thursday. Maybe I'll post some thoughts about this after that is finished.

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with this, though I can't quite go along with much of the rest of your post. In all we do, we should do it for the glory of God. I believe a good case can be made that our hairstyles should communicate our gender, and a decorum of cleanliness and good order, meaning that we should abstain from looking like thugs and unruly children.

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm, what about "facial hair" A.K.A: A beard.

Of course this isn't a problem for most women.

Why do most men shave off their beard?
    How did this start?

I remember reading something Spurgeon wrote about the new generation of preachers coming upon the scene in his day.

He called them "beardless wonders".

Yes, I have a beard :)

HankD

16. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I must be a beardless wonder.

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That takes a month or so to fix.

But why do most men shave off their beard?
    It's a new phenomena.

HankD

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So how long is too long? Is there a measurement given for how long it should be for men and how long for women?

19. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Jewel: Look into the Archive forums. You will find many, many threads on this subject (and many different views and opinions).

20. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

I'm with annsni. Isn't long/short hair relative/subjective?