1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hall of Fame, Part 1

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by TomVols, Jul 18, 2007.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Keith Hernandez. 11 Gold gloves. .296 lifetime BA, good enough for 3rd in his era. Top 10 in his era in hits, runs scored, and slugging. 7 times in his career he had a .400 OBP or better. Slugged better than .400 in every full season but one. Modified HOF number is 135. Verdict: In, standing up.

Dale Murphy: 398 HR, most in his era. 4th most RBI in his era. Hit 30 HR 6 times and drove in at least 100 runs 5 times. Lifetime OPS of .815. Played every day from 1982 – 1985, and from ’82 – ’88, missed only 9 games. A 7 time All-Star. 5 Gold Gloves. Won the NL MVP in 1982 and went and played in Instructional League ball! His reward? Another MVP the next year. Probably the most feared hitter in baseball for a time. But that time may have been too short and was spent on some poor Braves teams. Modified HOF is 125. Still, Murph belongs in the Hall. Verdict: In, standing up.

Tim Raines: The Rock didn’t run like one. 808 steals. 2nd most in his era, 5th all-time (Most all-time by a switch hitter). His other batting numbers are not earth-shattering: 2,600 hits, .294 BA, 385 OBP, .425 SLG. But remember that this guy was feared in the lineup. Half of his comparables are already in the Hall. His Modified HOF is 117. Sentimentally, I think he belongs. Verdict: In, just under the tag.

Graig Nettles: 5th in his era in HR, 9th in RBI. 11 seasons with at least 20 HR. His BA is not great (.248), but 7th best in his era. Hit 390 HR. A 6 time All-Star who is a vital contributor to some Yankees’ postseason magic. Bill James even lukewarmly supports him. But I just can’t. He is a great player. He does have four comparables in the Hall, but he’s just not quite there. Modified HOF: 95, and 30 of that comes for just being a long-time third-sacker. Verdict: Called out on strikes.

2. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Whoo boy! I agree with Raines. I agree that Nettles should not be in. Hernandez and Murphy do not have the career numbers to deserve it. Murphy played in a cracker box, so his homer totals are inflated and not that impressive to begin with. I think they are both close, but my standards for Hall selection are much higher than yours, so they do not get in.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

What about Andre Dawson?

4. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I think he should probably be in. He is more deserving than Rice, Hernandez or Murphy. He was a complete player for most of his career and has pretty good career stats. His only negative is his low OBP. He also didn't deserve the MVP in '87 - Ozzie did.

If you put Raines and Dawson in the Hall, that means the Expos of the early 80's would have 3 Hall of Famers, along with Gary Carter. What other team would have 3 Hall of Famers in their prime and not make the World Series? Not many. They came close in the '81 strike season, but Rick Monday's homer in game 5 foiled them. That Expos team was way underachieving. That had good pitching, too - Rogers, Gullickson, Sanderson.

5. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Dale Murphy - Not enough years.

Iffy on Hernandez, and because of that, I'd say no.

Just fine with Raines in.

6. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

These 4 players are good players, but not Hall of Fame players. Dale Murphy , Hernandez are a lot like Chipper Jones, very good but not Hall of Fame type. Graig Nettles was never the best on his team and a good bit below the two above. Raines is just a little above the others but I believe just short of getting in.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I consider him a lock. I typically pick guys that are not locks. Now, if he drops through the box (like Murph did), then I'll start beating the drum. Remember that there was a time people thought Murph was a cinch.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

People said the same thing about Kirby Puckett. That logic escapes me. He had well over a decade, although his most impressive years were probably his first 7 or 8, and comparing him to players of his own era (the gold standard for players who have had injury shortened careers) he's second to none.

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Their pitching just wasn't good enough, and I don't think the Expos' front office was ever committed to builidng a winner there. I just don't see it.

10. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I thought Murphy only played about 7 or 8 years in the first place.

11. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Dale Murphy played 18 season and had 398 home runs 1266 RBI's and batting average of 265. Nice guy just not Hall of Fame type.

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Compare him to players in his era. Compare him to HOF comparables. Use the HOF monitor stat. The numbers say otherwise.