1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

hallucinogenic drugs

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by God lives within, Jan 18, 2005.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing is unclean in and of itself including hallucinogenic substances.

Many medicines are extracted from these substances.

Every time you go to the dentist and he gives you novocain or pain killer it is a derivative or relative of cocain.

However 1) these substances are to be used only under the direct control of a doctor. 2) it is against the law to possess halucinogenic mushrooms. 3) You can kill yourself quite dead by picking and eating the wrong kind of mushroom. 4) Why do you think you need a mushroom (fungus) to get closer to God?

HankD

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Acts 24:25 And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee.

3. Jayohio1

Jayohio1 New Member

I am having trouble kicking chewin tobacky. I havent put forth a good effort lately, and havent really felt compelled to quit either. I know I should , but I just havent . Anyway BOT, I am extreme antidrug. A lot of folks I chat with use marijuana, and act as if it is no biggie. I always get the comparison to alcohol, caff., etc. Usually I have nothing smart to say in return. I believe anything used in excess is wrong, food, whatever. And anything illegal, is extremely wrong.

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Jay, that's REALLY common around here. You almost trip over the tabacco wads in the Wal-Mart parking lot. Both my grandmother's used snuff.

5. Jayohio1

Jayohio1 New Member

It is common here also. Its such a stupid habit, paying nearly $5 a can, to spit it out and possibly get cancer. I was raised around it and its sort of a family tradition in my family as well.

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

It grossed me out so much that I've never even held a cigarette up to my mouth! Both grandmothers had to carry around spit cans. Ug

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

Unusual for a first post isn't it?

8. Gib

Gib Active Member

Yea, when I first saw it, I thought I was seeing things.

9. God lives within

God lives within New Member

I was looking for answers other than the obvious, and also an idea of what kinda people post here, not trying to rile anyone.
    thanks.
    i will not reply to most of the posts simply for the sake of not arguing.

I especially want to thank Deacon , Dhk and HankD
    for their posts.

The basic consensus looks like No, and they dont give you any more knowledge of God than without them.
    i was hoping for some more 'outside the box' responses.
    Thanks - God lives within
    :cool:

10. DavidsAngel

DavidsAngel Guest

Anything that alters who you are and what you are is compeltely wrong.

Not that there is a specific commandment is not why I say that. This is why I say that:

You are who you are. Taking anything that alters you for a time, drugs, alkie , anything, just devalues the person that you are. It is a temp fix. It will not make things better in the long run. There are no quick and easy answers. There is only one answer. Hard work.

This isn't a lecture, it's a plea. Please don't do that to yourself. If you can not be true to anyone in the world, be true to yourself.

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yur welcome GLW.

You can "alter" your consciousness in a manner approved by God by prayer, fasting and meditating
    in the Scriptures.

Check with your doctor before fasting.

HankD

12. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Seems to me you were looking for some 'outside the BIBLE' responses.

[ January 19, 2005, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: dianetavegia ]

13. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

There is no outside the box answers on this one. Sure God made mushrooms but using them to alter yourself is abusing your body (which is a sin). I'm not sure of their purpose of being here on Earth but I highly doubt it was for an escape from reality!

14. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Comments from a former druggie who did lots of "research" looking for the "next great high".

Psylicibin mushrooms are poisonous. That is why you have hallucinations. It is your body's and mind's reaction to the poison. Eat enough of them, you die. Eat just a few, you have a trip. Is that good enough for you?

Next, marijuana. Have you ever heard of hemp rope? I submit that, THAT is why God gave it to us. Not to smoke it. Probably some clown long ago was burning the leaves after stripping the stems for rope and got loaded. He than said WHOOPEE! and shared it with his buddies. I do not think it was EVER meant as some medicine. There is more tars and carcinogens in pot smoke than tobacco. BTW, nicotine is an excellent pesticide.

What about LSD? It comes from the mold of rye bread. It is called irgot. It was used long ago as an aid for both inducing labor and as an abortive. No good can come of that.

What about other stuff? Every drug causes a reaction to the body. This is called a side effect. Read some info pamphlets next time you are given a prescription. It will blow you away.

I said all that to say this. Does God WANT you to take poison into your body for fun? Think about it.

About beer. It comes primarily from hops and barley. Barley soup is good stuff. Hops on the other hand are cousins to...you guessed it, HEMP! I submit that hops were also for rope, not getting loaded.
    This should be common sense people.

JMO

In HIS service;
    Jim

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Almost all mushrooms have medicinal value. But, just as certain flowers and their seeds (poppy, morning glory) their extracts are controlled substances to be admistered only by an authorized medical professional.
    Extracted from a very interesting long article found in the public domain at:

http://www.naturalmedicine.co.za/sajnm_main/article.php?story=20030729115740949

One day perhaps, mushrooms may provide mankind with antivirals or antibiotics for viruses just as molds provide us with antibiotics for bacterial infection.

My adult children and I are amateur mycologists (mushroom gatherers) and enjoy harvesting wild mushrooms which are in a great abundance here in Washington State. Our favorites: Chanterelle, Morel, Matsutake, Hedgehog and Oyster.

We found about 20 lbs of matsutake this year which would be valued at several thousands of dollars in Japan (if one could get connected to the buyers). These are delicious gormet mushrooms with a sweet cinnamon spicey flavor.

NOTE: Never pick mushrooms for consumption if you are not trained in mushroom identification.

HankD

16. mhoward1999

mhoward1999 Member

...as opposed to partially dead?

17. mhoward1999

mhoward1999 Member

...sorry, I just couldn't resist. [​IMG]

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This would be a LOL, but many people have killed themselves picking and eating Galerina mushrooms ("magic" look-a-like) thinking that they were "magic".

http://www.evergreen.edu/mushrooms/ifm/s42.htm

But you are correct, after eating a small but deadly Galerina you will definitely meet God face-to-face.

HankD

19. mhoward1999

mhoward1999 Member

That's a great link, HankD. I am enjoying perusing it.

20. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Cool link Hank. It has convinced me to collect my mushrooms from the store!