1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Handling Pain

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not know the origin of the following.

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a Hindu parable. Mark Nepo uses it some.

I like it. It's appropriate and the Bible, in my opinion teaches the same thing.

I've heard people say, "life is 10% circumstances and 90% how you deal with those circumstances". My opinion is that people who get those numbers backwards are wallowing in their own miserable muck. I've also heard people say, "your problem is not your problem, your attitude towards your problem is your problem".

I was just studying the fruit of the Spirit this morning and after reading the Bible, I found this quote on the internet about that fruit by Wesley L. Gerig.

Much of the fruit of the Spirit deals with what your quote is talking about - viewing life and its troubles through the lens of patience, self-control, gentleness, peace, joy, love and more.

The Bible says, in what I was reading this morning, that this fruit is a "by-product" of being joined with Christ. (John 15:3-5) Jesus says that we will bear much fruit if we remain in Him as our "vine". And it's hard. We war against the flesh Paul says. As Gerig says, "No one drifts into spiritual maturity".

But even thought it's sometimes hard, Jesus told us this about bearing fruit by remaining in Him so that "our joy could be complete".

I like the idea of viewing the big picture (being the lake).

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scarlett,

Thanks for the reply and
    information. Very interesting.