1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Happy Reformation Day!

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Bible-boy, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

The Protestant Reformation started on October 31, 1517 when Martin Luther posted his 95 Theses. [​IMG]

You can read the 95 Theses here: 95 Theses Link

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Great day and a vital event in breaking the bondage of religious traditionalism!

It does raise an interesting point. How many Baptist brethren see themselves as spiritually descended from the Reformers?

3. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

The Reformation Day is being celebrated in many Lutheran churches today.

4. mozier

mozier New Member

In addition to it being Reformation Day, it is also the anniversary of my salvation.

On October 31, 1997, I accepted Jesus Christ as my savior and then renounced all my ties to the Roman Catholic Institution. I then typed out a statement of what I had done and nailed it to the door of the local Roman Catholic cathedral!

Very Lutheran of me, wasn't it? [​IMG]

mozier

5. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Happy birthday/ anniversary!

Yours in Christ

Matt

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Amen! Happy Birthday!

7. mozier

mozier New Member

Thanks, Matt and Christ4Kildare!

You know, Matt, every time I think you are an arrogant liberal jerk, you show that you are actually a pretty decent "chap" after all. [​IMG]

I will just have to accept that you and I are light years apart on politics, yet still brothers in Christ. And all I ask is that you don't figure me to always be a right-winger, either. I do have centrist, if not slightly to the left views at times, myself. ;)

mozier

8. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thank you (I think!). As I keep trying to 'splain, although politically I'm centre-left (although right-wing on matters like abortion and homosexuality), theologically, I reckon that I'm as conservative as most on these boards.

Yours in Christ

Matt

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I am not "landmark" (apostolic succession) I have never considered myself as Protestant. Baptistic beliefs have a heritage far older and actually quite different than Luther or Calvin.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I also do not consider myself a Protestant, but greatly admire the stand taken by Luther against the corrupt, legalising church which he left. He had his own problems, like we all do, but he did help insure a Europe not bound by Catholicism.

11. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

A minor point, perhaps, but a Lutheran would probably say he had "received Christ" rather than "accepted Christ."

Also they teach that men cannot be justified before God by their own strength, merits, or works, but are freely justified for Christ's sake, through faith, when they believe that they are received into favor, and that their sins are forgiven for Christ's sake, who, by His death, has made satisfaction for our sins.
    Augsburg Confession, Art. IV, 1530

12. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have always considered myself protestant. Not particularly because of the Reformation, but because baptist type churches seem to have been around in cvarious forms as long as church history has been recorded and always seems to be the voice protesting against the prevailing religious group. Always the minority bible centred ones facing the establishment in all its forms.

Think we gained much from the reformation and those that followed, including the English puritans, so don't let us get too proud oof being protestants before it became an acceptable term.

Regards
    Bob

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Bob,

I certainly hopemy post was not perceived as pride, that was not my intention my any means.

14. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't take it that way, my apologies for obviously not wording it clear enough.

My intent was simply that we all, me included, need to enjoy and learn from our history but not get that caught up in the details that we forget that the church is God's and different folk see history from a different perspective.

Regards
    Bob

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Thanks for the clarification and your godly spirit Bob.