1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

happy to go to hell?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by timothy 1769, Mar 6, 2003.

1. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

would you be happy to go to hell if...

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's a loaded question. Going to Hell cannot glorify God, since you are absent from God completely.

3. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

hmm... i've always thought that everything was working out to god's glory, including the damnation of some...

[ March 06, 2003, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: am ha'aretz ]

4. D.R.

D.R. New Member

JohnV

I categorically disagree with you on the grounds that God must exist in some form in all places and at all times. Not only is that the orthodox definiton of omnipresence, but it is also logical to understand that if God upholds all things, He must be present in the specific place or locale where He upholds this specific thing. Just because there is an absence of God's blessing, does not mean He is not in some way present in Hell. In fact, Satan has no power to uphold Hell, therefore without His upholding and sustanance of Hell, it would cease to exist. Furthermore, it does glorify God for people to go to Hell because it vindicates His righteousness in that sin is paid for in Hell since because God is righteous and has declared that sin reaps death and punishment and must be punished or paid for. Even if one believes that Christ paid for the sins of all men on the cross (which I do not), He still did not pay for the sin of unbelief, nor did He pay for the sin of the Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit (for it can not be forgiven). Now these two are mutually exclusive (i.e., they are not the same). Still, this sin of unbelief (and all others in my theology) must be paid for in Hell. The paying for sin does glorify God as did Christ's propitiation (though not in the same way, and not to the extent and effectuality). Also, as the last poster said, all things glorify God, for if God did anything that did not glorify Himself, He would sin because since He has declared that we must glorify Him, He, too must glorify Himself. Said in another way, there is nothing greater than God and thus (as said by the Westminster Confession), the cheif end of God is to glorify and enjoy Himself forever (and in all things which He upholds and brings to pass). I hope this is clear,
    DR

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had to answer the question truthfully. No, I am not at the point in my Christian discipline where I could be happy to go to hell if that were God's will for me.

I know many baptists disagree with this, but that is exactly what Christ did when He died for my sins. "Yet not my will, but thine be done."

6. russell55

russell55 New Member

I put no because I don't know how I could be happy to not be with Him. Maybe you should have put "willing" instead of "happy".

Not that it would have changed my answer.....

7. Matthew 16:24

Matthew 16:24 New Member

This is a silly question. Why are you asking anyway?

8. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

i'm curious what people think about the idea. on another board someone asked my how i really knew i was saved and not going to hell? i responded that if i were to go to hell for my many sins at least i would be happy to know that my just punishment would glorify god.

[ March 06, 2003, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: am ha'aretz ]

9. Gib

Gib Active Member

Inquiring minds want to know the weirdest things. You're not weird, just the question. Some may ask, would you (not you-you) commit adultery, murder, or molest children if God spoke to you in an audible voice and told you to do it.

At one time or another God has put us all in a difficult situation that in the end glorified Him, but the question here is beyond my understanding. But, I'm just the music guy. What do I know?

10. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Well, if I was going to hell, I would not be happy about it. Of course, if I am going to hell, it doesn't matter whether I am happy about it or not.

All I can say is, I love God because He first loved me. What more needs to be said? If you are going to hell, of course you are not happy about it because you don't even love God.

11. kung_foo_christian

kung_foo_christian New Member

Didn't God once ask Abraham to do one of those very things and he was more than willing to comply.
    If God had not provided another sacrifice, I'm sure Abraham would have gone ahead with it anyway.
    As for me, if I heard an audible voice telling me to kill someone I'd check the room for hidden speakers and then have my head examined before I stuck my (hypothetical) son on an altar.

-KFC

12. Gib

Gib Active Member

Yes, you are right. But, murder and molestation would have to come from a person filled with anger and hate. Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son was done out of His love for God. I don't believe God would ask me to go to hell or do any of those other things.

I saw a drama set to music about Abraham's sacrifice. My 2 sons were there. It was an eye opener. Like you I would have to see it on the wall, literally.

13. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I'm glad I don't have to worry about going to hell! [​IMG]

14. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

It just seems that the question creates a paradox.

I understand this:

at least in that just punishment does glorify God, at least indirectly, as that just punishment upholds his word.

But what I don't get is why anyone going to hell would care what God thought? Or why a person who did care what God thought (for the sake of clarity - I'm putting saved people in this latter group) being going to hell?

Paradox.

If God wanted me in hell, I guess I'd be pleased to do His will, but in order for me to go to hell, He'd basically have to make me not want to do His will, and then I wouldn't care about doing His will anyway, and would no longer be pleased to go to hell.

And now I'm dizzy. [​IMG]

15. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

i agree, it's a paradox, of sorts, but so was god's command to sacrifice issac. don't think too hard, just answer [​IMG]

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Didn't God once ask Abraham to do one of those very things and he was more than willing to comply.

And God stopped Abraham from killing his son, since that would have been murder. The point of the story is that God wants us to be completely faithful to him, and as a result God will never require us to do something that is immoral.

Since eternity in Hell results from rejection of Christ, which is immoral, I once again say that this is a loaded question. Kind of like asking if God can make a rick so big that God can't move it.

17. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

The point of the story is that God wants us to be completely faithful to him, and as a result God will never require us to do something that is immoral.

i've always interpreted it this way: we're expected to obey god in everything, EVEN IF we think it's immoral.

18. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

The key to the question is "if it would glorify God". Yes, I would, but I also know that is a strange thought that would never have crossed my mind if you hadn't asked it.