1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Harper Collins NRSV and the "Disciple" class??

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by annsni, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A friend of mine online is starting this class at their church and they were to purchase this particular Bible for it. She said "I bought my brand new Harper Collins Study Bible today - they say not to use your personal Bible b/c you need the annotations of the study bible and you write all in the margins, etc. " It's supposedly a 34 week class where you go through the entire Bible in study. I have NO clue how they do this because it took us 4 years to go through Genesis on Sundays! LOL! My pastor is quite thorough, though, and covered EVERY verse that was there - even the tough ones.

Anyway, does anyone have any info on this Bible (I know about the NRSV and the gender neutral stuff but I want to know about the study part of it - Amazon is no help for this!) and this class??

Thanks!

Ann

2. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I believe it is little more than the NRSV with wide margins ... but there are some footnotes and other apparatus that may help in cross-referencing passages.

"Disciple" is a United Methodist program, designed to cover the Bible in segments and around theological themes. If you think it's hard to cover the NT in 34 lessons, just imagine covering the OT.

These courses came out about the time that Southern Baptists were producing and selling a lot of discipleship courses, premiere among them Blackaby's "Experiencing God". In a sense, then, "Disciple" is imitative.

It employs a workbook, class discussions, home assignments, and videos with various Bible scholars. I think its chief value is that it does introduce, albeit with a light touch, some critical elements to lay people who would not have been exposed -- e.g., documentary hypotheses for the Pentateuch and the Gospels. Personally I think it is too light and too broad to be a real Bible introduction course; but, to be fair, the stated intention was not so much a comprehensive study of the Bible as it was/is growing disciples who are knowledgeable of key Christian ideas.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thank you SO much!! So, it sounds OK, huh? Well, shallow, but OK. I get so leary of things in other denominations since my ILs (who go to a Methodist church) had for their Sunday School a study on Genesis when we were doing it in our church but they were using the Bill Moyers PBS special on Genesis! Yikes!!!

BTW - I like your name. My dad is Joseph Smith as was his father and my brother!! LOL!

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I'm not sure, but I think this Bible might have a liberal bent in its study notes. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's what I was wondering. Harper Collins is not known for their religious books, I don't think.

6. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Let's not be frightened of what someone may call a "liberal bent". In order to have a reasoned faith, we need to consider viewpoints that may seem strange or unusual. Spiritual and intellectual growth takes place best when we engage new ideas rather than just asking for our old ones to be confirmed. I have some books in which I have written down in the margins a variety of questions and comments, mostly comments contradicting the author's assertions. I have learned more from those dialogues than from reading things that did not stretch me.

As for HarperCollins, I have on my shelves any number of books published by Harper and its various successors, including HarperCollins, among them the Harper's Bible Dictionary and the Harper's Bible Commentary (a one-volume compendium). I find them very useful and a fair summary of scholarly conclusions, written without obvious bias.

Ah, my name. Glad somebody likes it. I have struggled with it for years, because it is so utterly common. I was named for my maternal grandfather, who, though he was a Joseph, was not, of course, a Smith. I am told that had I been a girl, I was to be named for my maternal grandmother, Mary -- like that would be an improvement! I do wonder if my grandparents took some teasing through their married life for being the Biblical Joseph and Mary!

The one good thing about my name is that it startles the Mormon missionaries who come to my door .. and when they find out I am a Baptist minister ... wow!

7. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Harper Collins is the parent company of Zondervan now for what that's worth.

The Harper Collins Study Bible contributors and editors are all from the SBL (Society of Biblical Literature); I'm sure the "liberal" bent charge may stick. However, one's pastor and church will shape one's theology more than notes in a study Bible. I doubt there's too much to be scared of in the pages of that Bible, but if you're curious visit your local bookstore-even Borders or Barnes and Noble-and I bet you'll find a copy of it on their shelves to see for yourself.

BJ

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Funny thing - my dad's sister's name is Mary. Then there's Catherine and Walter. :D My mom was Patricia, and I'm Ann. Smith can make almost ANY name totally common! LOL!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.