1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Harriet Miers on Judicial Activism

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Oct 19, 2005.

1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My pleasure to add absolutely nothing to the conversation, Pastor. I was talking about your politics as being liberal, not conservative. As for your theology, I could only guess, Pastor. I don't think that I myself will be setting foot in your church.

2. rivers1222

rivers1222 Member

I for one ams sick and tired of the abortion issue being a litmus test issue. Look, I care about one thing and one thing only: will this nominee faithfully interpret the Constitution in regards to cases brought before SCOTUS? I don't care if the person is a liberal or conservative, I don't want judicial activism from the bench.
    </font>[/QUOTE]------------------------
    Johnv,
    It is how the nominee "faithfully interprets the Constitution" that seperates the liberals from the conservatives. We can argue all day what makes a liberal or conservative, but the way they interpret it IS the litmus test.Judicial Activism is something I have screamed many times, especially when a lower court ruled on something that I didnt agree with and the SC didnt take it up and let it stand. As for abortion, yes John, that is the biggest litmus test for many of us. Both Cons and Libs. This nomination process has become more of an election than at any time previously. It is a shame but it is a fact.

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

4. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, Pastor, the question becomes why you care what conservatives do and why you are suggesting what a true conservative would do?

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because I am a conservative! Just because I don't think like you on every issue doesn't mean I'm a flaming liberal. Oh wait, I think it does in your world but maybe not...I don't know?!?!

If it makes you happy you win, you are more conservative then anyone. Happy?! I have no idea what you're looking for here. Other then an arguement.

6. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Naw, I don't care that much about politics nor do I think that I am the most conservative person around. Afterall, I am fairly down the line with Bush. Miers is okay with me and I think that the intellectuals are wrong on this one. The court is divided up for many decades and now we seemed to have entered an era where there has to be 2 women on the court even if the most qualified person were a man. The court is fairly political in terms of who gets appointed and who doesn't.

I never was for Bush in the primary of 2000 but I think a certain amount of respect and support should be given to any President. I have lived through many Democrats: Harry Truman, JFK, LBJ, Carter, and Clinton, and my folks lived through FDR. I tend to ignore Democrats when they are in power as long as they don't try crazy things like Hillary's attempt to socialize medicine, which affected Indianapolis a lot because we make medicines here at Lilly.

7. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Disagree with you on this: I think that they will begin to strong-arm the GOP Congressmen/Congresswomen to vote yes. They did it with CAFTA, and with the Energy Bill. They can do it with an up-or-down vote on Meiers.

Remember: they have a "mandate."

Regards,
    BiR

8. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

I stand corrected.....

I am honestly surprised that she has withdrawn. I thought this was a sure thing. Kudos to those of you who called this.

Regards,
    BiR (en route to Florida)