1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Has anybody besides me really looked into Tyndale Bible College and Seminary.

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Plain Old Bill, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Here is the picture I get.
    1.They are in the process of overcomming thier legal situation.
    2.They have added 3 to thier teaching staff since the printing of the last catalog.One is a Moody Grad,one is DTS, and one comes out of a school in England.
    3. Thier LBU instructors are in the process of furthering thier education as are others on thier staff.
    4.They are trying to fashion the school after DTS as it was under Chafer.
    5.I asked about textbooks for some of the courses and they seem to be very good,of course that depends if you like the titles and the authors.
    6. Thier statement of faith seems right on, at least from where I stand.
    7.Many on thier staff seem very well qualified.There are some people of note and some published authors on staff.I know you can't just go by the names but there also must be some name rcognition.Dr. Mal Couch is the head of the school and I doubt many here would quibble about his qualifications.

2. Nord

Nord New Member

I will wait and see but I was not impressed when they first came out. Texas went after them and fined them big time as I recall.

Maybe they can overcome it and improve the school. Best of luck to them.

North

3. Nord

Nord New Member

I will wait and see but I was not impressed when they first came out. Texas went after them and fined them big time as I recall.

Maybe they can overcome it and improve the school. Best of luck to them.

North

4. Plain Old Bill

I know that is still up in the air. They knew going in that they would lose all of the court decisions up to the Texas Supreme court and they are now waiting on that decision,should come anytime between now and 6 months from now.

They have done and continue to do a lot of work to improve the school.

5. Plain Old Bill

Oh by the way they are ACSI accredited.

6. Nord

Nord New Member

Association of Christian Schools International does not accredit seminaries. The recognize programs and approve teacher education programs.

North

7. Plain Old Bill

Then it appears that is what they have done according to the catalog.I forgot to ask them if they plan to go for TRACS accreditation,I will ask monday when they are open.They claim ACCT accreditation but I don't think anybody recognizes them as a legitimate agency, at least nobody seems to know anything about them.I have tried to find out about them over the net and have'nt learned much.

8. Plain Old Bill

Lots of things can happen to new schools even with the best of intentions mistakes are made.If I do decide to take any courses of thiers it will be about 15 months away.I want to give them a chance to improve some more. I'm not saying they are in the top 25 Bible colleges and seminaries but when I see the Newburghs,Bethany's,Andersonvilles, and others that come across here they seem head and shoulders above them.I will be following them.
    I would suggest they are worth a re-look to see how far they have come. You would be in a better position to rwcognize that then I would,you having checked them out long ago.

9. Carol Jean

Carol Jean New Member

They aren't listed as accredited on the ACSI website. In the past the only ACSI approval I have been aware of relating to Tyndale was that some ACSI accredited elementary and secondary schools accepted Tyndale classes as "continuing ed" requirements for teacher certification. This doesn't mean much, really, as any number of three-day seminars (Christian or secular) can also be used and nobody would claim that they were equal to a semester in grad school.

ACCT, last I knew, consisted of a loose association of unaccredited schools who would accept each other's degrees and credits. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Christian_Colleges_and_Theological_Schools fits with what I know of the organization.

I have to wonder why they would openly state that they are unaccredited, then claim this sort of accreditation. That would raise a red flag for me.

If your goal is just some organization and accountability for personal enrichment lay studies into classical dispensational teaching, I guess Tyndale would do as well as anywhere else. But if your goal is to teach theology, you'd have more credibility, better contacts made, and better preparation by going with a larger, more reputable school.

Just my opinion.

10. Plain Old Bill

Thankyou Carol for your input, yours also Nord.I have talked to them several times.Just as an aside note I asked them about seeking TRACS accreditation and they have discussed it amonst themselves.
    Thier thinking goes along two lines.Texas only recognizes regional and ATS accreditation so TRACS would not help them with Texas. Tracs accreditation would be valid everywhere outside of Texas so it would be valid for all of thier extension students and for students transfering to other schools outside of Texas.

This may come up again when they are done with thier court battle.

They have 72 semester hours of language studies and as I recall about 60 hours of theology proper as well as practicle theology.I think this goes well beyond the institute level.

11. TFC123

TFC123 New Member

Hello,
    I did not see this thread yet, I just joined.

As for Tyndale,I was impressed with their statement of faith and the staff that was on the site I saw, and of course Mel Couch.

I did enroll in an MA program. The books are,I feel, good. In the class I'm taking were using Crouch's book,and Geisler, Nix, Moody General Intro To Bible. They also provide a binder with many selected notes. The lectures on MP3 are great.

The nice thing is you only have to pay for one course at a time. Most schools want either all up front or a long term payment plan, monthly. With Tyndale if I don't immediatly have the money for the next course I can wait.

Interaction has been minimal but that's my fault. I felt no need to respond. The directions are very clear.

However, I was not aware of any legal problems. Could someone enlighten me.

Thank,

Terry

[TFC123 since you are no longer a Baptist (now CMA) you are not allowed to post in the Baptist Only Sections of the BB. Please restrict your post to the sections that are open to All Christians.]

[ March 17, 2006, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]

12. Plain Old Bill

As to the legal problems, I don't think they are crucial.So I don't get it wrong it would probably be better to call thier 800# and ask so you get it straight from the horses mouth.

13. TFC123

TFC123 New Member

Bill

Your right. Beside that unless they did somthing really ubethical or illegal, based on what I see there,it'sw probably just more government interference or someones sour grapes.

I don't even really want to know that would be judgemental on my part.

But thanks

[TFC123 since you are no longer a Baptist (now CMA) you are not allowed to post in the Baptist Only Sections of the BB. Please restrict your post to the sections that are open to All Christians.]

[ March 17, 2006, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]

14. Nord

Nord New Member

Hi POB,

I think they are wrong about TRACS. As far as I know Texas accepts any accrediting agency recognized by the US Dept of Ed/CHEA. In fact, a large DETC accredited school used to be located in Irving until consolidation. Also, the State of Texas itself recognizes any accredited degree for employment with the state as long as it is genuine accreditation by an agency recognized by US Dept of Ed/CHEA (DETC, TRACS, RA, etc). The same is not said for licensure as ATS, TRACS, DETC will not work for example for LPC licensure.

The TRACS issue may be more related to the issue that they may not quite be ready to meet all of the standards. That is not to say they will not be able to in the future. Some of TRACS standards like the library requirement, even other Regionally accredited distance learning schools like Northcentral University, which has a distance learning PhD, could not meet. NCU has no library and TRACS requires one.

Nord