1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Have any found themselves called by God but not a Church?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Living4God21, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

Well, if you have the education and have been volunteering, try to be patient. Having to relocate can make things extremely difficult in that you never are able to build a record before having to start over again. Still, God is faithful; if He has called you into His service, He will provide opportunities.

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Apparently, that speed reading course did absolutely nothing to help my reading comprehension."

So much truth in that, I took several courses in Bible college and have been paying for it for years. :smilewinkgrin:

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I accepted the call to full time vocational ministry in the fall of 1988. It was 1996 before I was called to serve a church. In the mean time I taught Sunday School and Discipleship Training. I served as an RA counselor. I was asked to serve as a deacon and did. I led a prayer ministry. I took on the job of Nominating Committee Chairperson (twice: I was a glutton for punishment). I taught adult VBS. I filled in for the music minister and preached whenever and wherever I was given the opportunity. More than anything, when the church doors were open I was there. Here's another thing. When opportunities came available I didn't wait for someone to ask me to serve. I stepped up. That was seven years of very valuable training and when the time was right God gave me a church to serve.

4. BroChris

BroChris Member

I can understand that you feel strongly about finding a church that aligns with what you believe the Bible teaches in all the areas that you mentioned. I have a lot of beliefs that I believe are biblical, but I'm sure not every member of my church agrees with me on. And I'm okay with that. Being part of the family of God means agreeing to disagree on the non-essentials. No church is perfect in action, so how can we possibly think that there is a church who is perfect in their beliefs?

But I suppose there is no way to convince you to compromise on what I believe to be non-essentials if you believe them to be essentials. So I'll move on.

How many churches seeking a pastor have you contacted? Contact three a day (via letter, phone, email, or otherwise) and you'll get some leads. Find them via association newspapers, online convention postings, Christian job boards, word-of-mouth, etc. Don't give up hope. If God has called you to be a pastor, you WILL be a pastor.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is great to read about your willingness to serve God and do ministry no matter the position or location. That kind of experience will serve you well. When you are in the pulpit nobody can claim that you are not like them and do not understand.

6. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

I've noticed a disturbing trend among seminary graduates to desire the places of authority at very young ages. Throughout Scripture, God called men after they were well seasoned in life experience and maturity. I urge you to get a job, get involved & grow a few gray hairs before seeking the higher places in church. Four years of schooling is a poor substitute for experience & the maturity of age.

7. Batt4Christ

Batt4Christ Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was blessed to be called by the church I was a member of when I was saved and when I surrendered to the ministry, as associate pastor. The position was created basically for me to give me said experience. It didn't pay much - but getting to preach at least once per month, plus several other times when our Pastor was out of the country for mission work or at other churches with the mission project.

If you are truly called of God into the pastoral ministry - then HE will proved the open door in His time. Keep your eyes and heart open. Speak to your pastor about preaching opportunities in your home church. If your church is part of an association, see if you can be listed in that publication as available for preaching/pulpit service/pastoral ministry as the Lord allows...

8. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

There are opportunities to serve in every church, false church, cult, & religion known to man. I do not consider every "open door" to be opened by God. We must look to Scripture & make wise, sound judgments, and not be led by blind faith & personal ambition. It seems that blind faith & feelings too often takes the place of Scripturally sound judgment & common sense. Perhaps we should ask how many were called by a pastor instead of being called by God.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I usually find followers following leaders who promote what we see in their followers.

Paul said to Timothy . . .

Do some research on who typically starts new churches and their ages.

Do some research on John Mott too and see what he did and how old he was at the time.

10. Siberian

Siberian New Member

When I read the frustrations in posts like this one (the OP, at least) I think of Joseph, and the time he had to sit in jail knowing that God had a purpose in it all. He had to be patient, and so do you.

You might try to gain some experience by applying to Associate/Assistant pastor ministry vocations. If you worked as an associate for a few years, your understanding of the church will grow and your experience may serve as a credential for a senior pastor position.

I am an assistant pastor. While I do not see my position as a stepping stone to anything else - I just want to serve Christ with all my heart in the ministry he has given me today! - it has helped me to understand pastoral ministry in ways that I did not know before. If God sees fit for me to one day serve as a senior pastor, so be it. But I love my ministry now.

God will place you where he wants you, brother.