1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Have you heard the voice of God? Or, if He talks, what ways do you hear Him?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Nov 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Yes, and He then uses that Word to guide us, nothing outside of its truth, but He does use inner promptings to direct us according to truth, in ways we cannot explain fully. This is not to say we are of those in Colossians 2:18 who 'make their stand' on 'visions' they have seen, or of those who like the extra-biblical teachings of Sarah Young, or of themselves. The sheep need nothing extra, nothing fantastical, no myths, no fables, no stories (2 Tim 4:2) because the Word is to those who are His sheep more than sufficient (2 Tim. 3:16) and is loved by the saints (Psalm 119)

#101 Internet Theologian, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  2. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His word is also a lamp to our feet. If you don't open the bible, you can't see what He shows.

• Like Like x 2
  3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps, to some posters on this thread, they are assuming that I endorse some "revelation" that is either inconsistent with the Scriptures or in some manner enlarging upon the Scriptures.

That is not the case in the slightest.

What my intent was to portray the believer as one who lives the Scriptures and in that living experiences both God's leading, His enlightenment, and His peace.

As such, in that living, the believer will "hear from God" as to direction, purpose, and insight not only about their own living, but the conditions, needs, agendas, ... of others - in particular as to their own gift and the outward expression of it.

For example: When I posted that I wouldn't sit under a pastor that has not heard from God, it is true. Every pastor should have such an intimate relationship with the Scriptures and impulses of the Holy Spirit that they intuitively hear from God as to the message that the assembly needs, the helps that the assembly needs (or members have), and how to give a fit answer for every occasion.

Personally, there are times when my own living has experienced the direct communication of God. The prompting was clear and specific to every situation necessary for that moment in time. These times were "extra" (meaning outside) biblical (meaning Scriptures). They were not in conflict, nor in any manner contrary to the Scriptures.

I ask a pastor, if he heard the "Call of God" to be a minister. He said yes.
    Then as the conversation moved along, I ask him if he ever heard from God. He then launched into some of the same writing that I have read on this thread. Either one "hears from God" or they do not.

If the Holy Spirit is given to the believer to "guide them into all truth," then it follows that either the typical un-hearing believer is deaf, isn't aware of such guidance, to immature to recognize and discern which "spirit" is the Holy Spirit, self or other deluded into thinking that such communication is unwarranted or evil, or merely ignorant.

Haralan Popov was a man who experienced great torture for his faith. One can find his account here: Tortured for His Faith
    If you want to hear him, there is a testimony given HERE. He communicates what I am attempting to write.

Could the typical modern believer (without the 66 books physically with them) survive in conditions this man faced?

A more important question, does the typical modern believer have a relationship with the Scriptures and experientially hearing from God that they know "whatever state" they are in is from God?

4. ElenaP

ElenaP Member

In some defense of TD Jakes, who I think has had some supernatural experiences, I heard him once say that God will not talk to you through your eyes or your ears, as those are tainted channels. He will talk to you through your heart, in a soft, quiet voice.

5. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess he forgot what God says about the heart in Jer. 17:9

The heart is deceitful above all things,
    and desperately sick;
    who can understand it?

If the eyes and ears are tainted (where is his Biblical support?) Then I'm going to go with the Bible and say that the heart is also tainted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll also go with the Bible and point out that those who have received the Spirit have a new heart:

Ezekiel 36:26-27
    I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will remove your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. I will place My Spirit within you and cause you to follow My statutes and carefully observe My ordinances.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Further:

2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I know of that and then I would point out the many NT verses that say he who has ears let him hear. And that Paul makes it clear that Faith is by hearing the word of God. There is no need for extra Biblical revelation with the Canon being closed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ElenaP

ElenaP Member

Ok just forgive my ignorance, but if he has taken your deceitful heart and given you a new one, then why would he not talk to you through it?

10. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where is you Scriptural support?
    The Canon is closed there is no need for extra Biblical revelation, and to say there is attacks the Suffiency of Scripture.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ElenaP

ElenaP Member

Honestly, I do not understand what you are saying. I really truly want to understand where you are coming from. Are you saying God does not talk to us? Or does he? And if so, how?

12. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes God talks to us. He does so through His Word. The Bible is complete, it has everything we need for faith and practice. There is no need for any extra Biblical revelation and to say there is, is to deny the Suffiency of Scripture. You will find that Sola Scriptura is one of my passions since I see it attacked by so much of the modern church.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ElenaP

ElenaP Member

14. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, there you have it folks.

GOD DOES NOT SPEAK TO US AS INDIVIDUALS.

...uh, what do you do with those who can't read?
    Or those who are deaf and there's no interpreter available to hear the preacher?
    Or those who are blind and can't read Braille?

Did the Lord "speak" to any of you naysayers when HE CALLED you? Or did you read the Word and decide you just wanted to be saved?

#114 HAMel, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  15. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to the bible the heart is more deceitful than the eyes or ears.

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

• Like Like x 1
  16. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    private revelations.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  17. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry that God has not spoken to you though His word. Keep reading and studying it and you may be surprised :)

Well you can listen to the Bible on the internet, have someone read it to you, get it on CDetc. My church supports a lot of missionaries with Gospel Recording Network that makes recordings of Scripture in native tongues for illiterate societies. My husband and I think that is a wonderful ministry to fill a gap while Wycliffe and others do their work of translating and teaching different people groups how to read.

Or those who are deaf and there's no interpreter available to hear the preacher?
    Well they can read the Bible, it is available in lots of written forms for them, and there is a group that is working on having the whole Bible produced in ASL. Here is John 3:1-8 in ASL if you're interested
    http://www.bible.is/deaf/ASESLV/John/3
    Again there are a lot of audio options out there for listening to the Bible.

No one decides that they want to be Saved, that is all up to God. But when He saves you the Bible comes alive, and it starts making sense as the Spirit Illuminates passages to you.
    Although I wonder why you are so down on the Word of God considering Paul makes it very clear that Faith comes by hearing the Word of God.
    Rom 10:17

18. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @blessedwife318..., how quickly things get out of "whack".

Know for the sure the Lord has spoke to me often through His printed Word. He has also spoken to me in other venues as well. He has spoken to me through song, through sight, through the humbleness of a child, He Has Spoken To Me Always.

No, I do not hear Him tell me things like one who suffer from psychosis and claim God told them to do such and such. No. my Lord speaks to me often. No, I do not hear him audibly. Yes, He impress's me on a regular and recurring basis.

For you, or anyone to even begin to think that God has NOT spoken to me though His word is absolute nonsense!

19. heisrisen

heisrisen Active Member

I've heard Jesus speak audibly to me once, and that was in a dream when I kept disobeying his assignment in my life. And he just said "obedience" in the dream and that was it. That shook me awake and I obeyed. But other than that, God speaks to us through our conscience, that "still small voice". And he speaks through his word and when we fellowship with him in the secret closet of prayer.

20. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just took you at your word when you said in all caps that God does not speak to us as individuals

]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.