1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hear That Long Snake Moan

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Aaron, Jun 30, 2002.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

2. Odemus

Odemus New Member

Nice try DHK, that must have taken you a while.

Strictly music.

Of course music can be a vehicle for sin when the message is evil.That is what I have been saying all along

Music my friend, the challenge is to show that there is such a thing a music with no singing that can be inherently sinful.

That means that no matter what words were sung to it, it would still be sinful.

[ July 01, 2002, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, when replying to lengthy posts, please refrain from reprinting the entire post--especially if yours is the very next one.

It is redundant and clutters the threads.

And in all cases, please keep those sections that you do quote to a bare minimum. No one is interested in rereading long posts (very few are interested in reading long ones the first time! :eek: )

Your friendly co-moderator,
    Aaron

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Elementary music lesson:

A song by definition is words and music.

Here endeth the lesson.

Or does Jake think the Ephesians were so knuckle-headed that that unless Paul specified spiritual words they would be attempting to admonish one another with Big Bad John?

No, Paul meant spiritual words AND style of music.

Now why didn't Paul specify spiritual Psalms? Were there no other compositions designed for the psaltery other than those by David?

Why didn't Paul specify spiritual hymns? Were there no hymns written for Diana?

Yes on both accounts.

Now why suddenly the need to specify "spiritual" songs?

Again, the name Psalm defines the style. It was not a carnal style, and it was understood that Paul was not giving license to use vain or ungodly words in the Psalms. Psalms are spiritual songs.

"Hymn" is also characteristic of a style as well. No need to specify "spiritual" here. It was understood they couldn't use words glorifying Zeus or Apollo.

And those folk melodies that are non-sensual (e.g. spiritual) are also at our disposal, for it is understood that I can't admonish someone with the Ode to Billy Joe.

Pretty basic stuff, Jake.

[ July 01, 2002, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

5. Odemus

Odemus New Member

Lies lies lies, and more lies.Nowhere in the Bible is music ever described as inherently sinful, or sensual or anything of the sort.You are manufacturing your case out of a false unscriptural presupposition.As you can see, Paul never once in any way makes a moral comparison or judgement about music in any capacity.You might as well write it in the Bible with your own hands, because it isn't there!How many times does that have to be said until you acknowledge the truth.

Stop the lies, stop the judgement.

[ July 01, 2002, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Odemus ]

6. Odemus

Odemus New Member

By the way, my name is Jacob.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Odemus said: I did read it, it was as I said, a fetid stinking stool.

Labels are not evidence, and your opinion is even less significant considering that university music teachers consider it authoritative. Let's see if you can counter Ventura's statments with evidence from other authorities:
    Now, do you concede upon this point, or do you have evidence to rebutt it?

[ July 01, 2002, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, from Ventura's essay:

Notice here that Shaw used the music to tell them when to shake it and when to hold it back.

Now I need no evidence here, this is something that is self-evident. Can you imagine a dance coreographed to the tune of "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God?" Only if the coreographer wanted to mock the tune or present something absurd would he direct a dancer to shake his hips. It certainly would not come naturally.

As Ventura states in another place:
    But lest you invoke the lame, debunked myth that our reactions to the styles were culturally conditioned, you have to explain why in every part of the globe in which Shamanism was and is practiced (Voodoo is a form of Shamanism) the principle instrument is the drum, and support your explanation with evidence.

9. Odemus

Odemus New Member

You post that which defeats your own argument:

"When you listen to what I’m playing, you got to see in your mind all them gals out there swinging their butts and getting the mens excited. Otherwise you ain’t got this music rightly understood. I could sit there and throw my hands down and make them gals do anything. I told them when to shake it and when to hold it back. That’s what this music is for."

If the sensuality in the music was innate why would he need to tell him to make the association?Wouldn't that imagery be self evident?The sin resides in the heart, not the music.

Your logic will always fall flat on it's face because it is not based on Scripture.

Oh yeah, Shaman's use the drum because it is inherently evil, not because it provides the most basic element of music...rhythm :rolleyes: .Once again you fail to see, the sin is in the heart, not the pounding of a drum-which by the way isn't even music.

When will you acknowledge that the basis of yor argument is in the 'wisdom' of man, and has nothing to do with Scripture?

Stop the lies, stop the judgement.

10. Odemus

Odemus New Member

As for the post in which you ask me to concede the point about the history lesson..there isn't anything to concede, history is history, what do the sinful actions of men have to do with your unscriptural claim that certain music is inherently sinful?You're in a desperate situation here, stop reaching out to thin air, and reach for your Bible.

It's like saying that the worship of an idol invokes power in and of iself.It doesn't! When your heart is given to sin and sensuality the devil holds the power over you!Not the reverse.When the Isrealites worshipped the golden calf in song, they weren't invoking a power of any kind! The power was already there in control of their hearts and minds!

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Odemus said: If the sensuality in the music was innate why would he need to tell him to make the association?Wouldn't that imagery be self evident?The sin resides in the heart, not the music.

Well, I give up. Anyone at a third grade reading level would know that Shaw meant he told them not verbally, but with the music itself.

If you can't comprehend the straitforward statements of a man, how can you even begin to comprehend the admonitions of the Scriptures?

Your misinterpretation of Shaw's statement is so obvious that at last folks reading this can see that your failure to grasp the concepts I've tried to communicate to you was in no way due to an inability on my part to express them.

12. Odemus

Odemus New Member

A command to associate the music with sensuality.

The conclusion being that if you don't associate the music with sensuality, then you don't understand the music.

So answer this question.Why make the distinction between understanding and not understanding if the sensuality is plainly evident?

The truth of the Scriptures are eternally unchanging and have been established by God as a standard by which all men are accountable.The statements of man outside the Scriptures are irrelevant because they try to create their own standards, much like you with regard to this Pharisaical belief that certain types of music can be inherently sinful.
    Let the 'folks' reading this post speak for themselves, I am not so insecure in myself that I need to bring other people into this debate.I wonder why you should be?

Stop the lies, stop the judgement, stick to Scripture.