1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heartland Baptist Bible College

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by USMC71, Jun 11, 2006.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

For the sake of unanimity, let me echo Bible-boy's comments.

First, if you are going to make accusations about a school's legal/ethical dealings, you'd better have your facts straight. Bearing false witness does not bear witness to Jesus Christ in any way, shape or form. Go2Church's accusations may or may not be true, but they were presented without factual anchoring (in the form of quotes, links, etc.). At the same time, go2church (as well as every member) is well within his rights to express his opinions about the educational quality of a school and the schools choice (pro or con) of accreditation. I would hope these opinions would be informed. If not, please think twice about posting them. When you read an opinion, remember that it is just that.

As for thjplgvp, no member has the right to respond to a perceived offensive post in kind, using language that is in violation of BB rules. BB rules are structured so that a member may report posts he/she feels offensive and then let the leadership take it from there (incidentally, that's how this topic came to my attention).

Contentiousness reigns in far too forums on this website. This will not happen in this forum.

2. Cailiosa

Cailiosa New Member

Briders Baptists believe that only those who are baptized in a church that can trace it's liniage back to the first church can go to heaven. (its actually a catholic doctrine, so why baptists belive it I don't know)

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I didn't say he pocketed it, I said very clearly that he started another school, and I use that term very loosely. The school is a joke, was from the very beginning. It is far right wing, beginning with the KJV only nonsense. The fact that you try and defend Heartland, by stating that they would rather "prepare" young people for ministry then challenge them with academic disciplines is either complete [unawareness] or a mis-statement on your part. Being prepared for ministry is an academic discipline. Vomiting back what someone tells you to think is not learning. Your disdain for true learning is evident and will leave you or any other Heartland student ill prepared for any ministry they choose to pursue. Sam has to keep the school afloat, it would drown in its own juices if not, not a case of true commitment as you would have us believe, but rather a case of throwing good money after bad!

#23 go2church, Jun 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2006
  4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. USMC71

USMC71 New Member

Since when does God measure the stature of men and the success of a man by State recogniton? The world's approval is the last thing any man called of God needs. As far as finanial Aid or Pell grants, what ever God wants man to do, God will provide it and you will not have to look to the world for your need.

6. USMC71

USMC71 New Member

Confession/HBBC

Two weeks ago I posted a question about Heartland, just to see the response as to what people thinking about it. I have been in Sri Lanka now for a year and a half as a missionary. So, I have been out of the loop a little bit.
    My wife and I graduated from Heartland in 2002, we were the first four year class to graduate. Not once did I ever hear from the chapel puplit, one negative word toward BBC or the BBFI. I know for a fact Pastor Davison did not sell the school, it was a vote of the Board of Directors. Not one penny went into the pocket of Sam Davison, as a matter of fact Southwest Baptist churche has given well over a million dollars to Heartland. I am a member of Southwest Baptist Church and have been for ten years now. To speak evil against a person is one thing, but to lie about a man of God and slander his character is quite another, that calls for repentance. Heartland is KJVO, its Board of Directors are and that is the stand the shcool as a whole takes.

Dave Hardy and Sam Davison are men of integrity, character traits that are vert rare in many ministers of the Gospel. I have sat under their teaching at school and in church, they are humble servants of the Lord. To slander the reputation and the stand of an institution without visiting it for any amount of time is wrong. For that, do not not take your offering to the altar until you make it right with those you have wronged!

"Speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness to all men." Col 3:2

7. USMC71

USMC71 New Member

Hbbc

Heartland, legalistic?? Don't think so. Legalism is adding to grace for salvation, they do not teach that, I should know. Now, high standards I would agree with, higher than the world and most other training insitutions. High enough above the character and culture of the world, "to be distincitve".
    We have not been called to be more like the culture of the day, but more separated as the day goes. With people departing from the faith and churches becoming more liberal in teaching and standards, we need to keep the ropes tight and stand for holiness, if we do not, who will? It is amazing, when you go to the "Temple of the Tooth here in Sri Lanka, (where come to worship the tooth of Buddha) even they have a dress code to enter into the temple, ie.. no shorts, no mini skirts, etc...
    If the heathen over here take that stand of modesty, what should God's people do, especially when ew have the truth? It does not take long to see that many churches and Christians have been swayed the newests fad and culture. We shold be different, not like. So, if Heartland is teaching men and women to be different from the world and contemporary Christianity, "Let er Rip"

8. USMC71

USMC71 New Member

As I stated before, I graduated from Heartland in 2002, along with my wife. It's education is top, and it's preparation for men and women is the best. If it were not for the teaching and preaching of my pastor, Sam Davison and the teaching and preaching at Heartland, I would not able to do what I am doing here. The teachers can only teach and prepare you as much as they are able. BUt, as most ministers of the Gospel will admit, the real training comes when you are in the foreign field, pastoring a church, working on staff, or beginning a state side church. It seems that you are a man that is filled with anger, biterness and and unfounded accusing spirit. I hope that as a Christian, you may find peace in your heart and move on.

#28 USMC71, Jun 27, 2006
  9. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Hello go2church,

Please cool your rhetoric, avoid the use of offensive terms/names, and respond to the issues without appearing to attack the person holding the opposing view (this goes for everyone that posts in this thread as well).

Yours in Christ,

Bible-boy,
    Forum Moderator

#29 Bible-boy, Jun 27, 2006
  10. USMC71

USMC71 New Member

Go2church, since you seem so positive of the Joke Heartland is and of its education , please tell me, How many classes have you sat under at Heartland, how many professors have you taken the time to get to know and what their qualifications are, how many chapels have you sat in?
    My missions teacher was a missionary to Japan for 25 years, quite qualified to teach missions, my Homiletics teacher pastored the church he started for along time, I believe for over 30 years, quite qualified to teach Homiletics and on and on we can go. Each instructor either pastors a church, is a staff member of a church or either pastored.
    In regards to Southwest keeping Heartland "afloat", it is the Lord that keeps it afloat. The same goes for any Bible college or institution. For example, "If all the churches stopped giving to BBC, Springfield, it would go drowning away". Or is it the power and purpose of God which keeps it going, you cannot have it both ways.
    Hopefully one day, you will be able to go and visit and take time to get to know the students and faculty and see the spirit that is behind them all, surely, the Spirit of the Lord is with them.

11. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing to cool here as far as I am concerned, Heartland is a terrible school, a fact supported by the state of Oklahoma, and the US government

#31 go2church, Jun 27, 2006
  12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    None thankfully! My mentor in seminary was a missionary for 42 years, that proves what exactly? He taught at seminary because he had earned a doctorate, you know all that silly academic discipline stuff. Somehow he was able to combine ministry and academics! BTW, don't get the impression that I am a fan of BBC or the BBFI, I'm not!

13. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why the initial cryptic post? Why not tell folks from the beginning that you where a Heartland grad. Where you looking for a fight?

14. USMC71

USMC71 New Member

No, not looking for a fight at all. I was interested in what people thought of a new school that was established. But I would recommend that you visit the campus before making your opinion of its quality of education. It is very unfair to claim it to be a terrible school without visiting and meeting the faculty. Nope, never thought you were involved with the BBFI or BBC, I really don't have a problem with them, I cannot give any opinion of BBC, since I never visited the campus or classes. Remember, I used the words "for example". I do think it was unfair for you to state that Heartland graduates willl be ill prepared, I guess you meant at the same time, that I am ill prepared? Again, state accredidation does not mean a school is good, or bad. It just means is isrecognized by the state. Why should a Christian look for approval from the state? I know some Christian Universities that are accredited and are liberal in philosophies and theology. Just because the state does not recognize it, it does not mean God does not recognize it.

15. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

It is fine for you to state your opinion of the school. However, when I have to edit offensive terms and/or personal attacks out of your posts you most certainly have something to cool. All I am asking of you (and the other posters) is that you abide by the BB Posting Rules by being sure to show grace to your fellow posters and do not make personal attacks when you respond. :Fish:

#35 Bible-boy, Jun 27, 2006
  16. USMC71

USMC71 New Member

You are right on that, 25 years or 42 years, it does not make a man qualified to teach on the subject. Since being in Sri Lanka, I can see that there were many things nobody was able to teach from a text book, I, like may others, have been in situations that can only be taught about if you have been through them. Each country is different, its culture, language and religion, even Buddhism and its teachings vary from country to country. Since Sri Lanka is a new field and very unevangelised, we have to learn it on our own. There are only three Independent Baptist Missionaries here at this time. The Southern Baptist one was pulled out a few years back, for which reason I do not know. Regardless of that, each country has the same need, and that need is Jesus. The need is committed missionaries whose goal is to know the language, evangelize the people, baptise them and train them to pastor and start their own.

17. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the whole issue of accredidation we will have to agree to disagree, I think it is important and wouldn't go to a school that wasn't. Attending PCBBC for a year made that very clear. Nothing I would say would change your mind. Moving on.

18. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Go2Church is right about the importance of accreditation, but wrong about the fact that, just because a school chooses not to have accreditation, that makes the school a joke. There are some good, non-accredited schools out there as all educational experts admit (though these schools are the exception to the rule). There are some lousy accredited schools, though that's not the fault of the accreditation.

USMC71 is not correct in believing one must visit a school to know something about it. I don't have to stick my head in a garbage can to know it's got trash in it. One can make a reasonable judgement based on a school based on its standards, accreditation, statement of faith, courses, etc. We are each entitled to our opinion. The most informed opinion is one where someone knows professors, has attended classes, etc.

Presenting an opinion as fact, or hearsay as fact is an entirely different thing. I think that's what USMC71 is reacting against, and you are correct to do so.

19. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Doing exactly what Tom said, my assessment of HBBC is that students who attend there will get a good, but not superior, education in the Bible from a KJVO perspective.

Students won't be given a fair assessment of the greater Baptist world, let alone the fundamental/evangelical world.

The higher standards mantra will create a smug prideful attitude in some.

For those who go in believing the KJVO doctrine and the higher discipline values, they will come out happy with their experience, at least in the short term.

For those who think, process information, and are willing to raise valid questions, I think the experience may prove hurtful.

It takes alot to come out of a group like that in tact, when they reject you as "unteachable."

20. USMC71

USMC71 New Member

I understand the principles behind accreditation. I am not arguing that point. We can and know what a school believes by their Statement of Faith, but we know nothing personally of it's spirit behind the teaching, until you sit and see for yourself. I know of one school who holds to the same doctrine that has been delivered unto the Saints, but does it with a very mean and self righteous spirit. That is not the spirit behind Heartland. Out of my four years there, I am not aware of anyone being labeled "unteachable". It is the responsiblity of those who chose to come to any school, to visit the campus for a season, to speak to the staff and students. If they disagree with its teachings and spirit, then they should not come. They should not come hoping to make changes or being of a stubborn spirt and will not be open to change. Students like that have no business enrolling. If they do leave it should be out of a meek and quite spirit, not one of accusation and discord.