1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured "Heaven Is for Real"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jedi Knight, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Exactly. :wavey:

2. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Right on "high fives":smilewinkgrin:

3. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

actually some would argue that that was a Parable and not literal:thumbsup:

4. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

so explain how and where did Paul go into Paradise and hear unspeakable things that was not lawful for a person to hear ?

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The Scriptures just do not say. But Paul never said that he went when they thought he was dead. Since John had a vision when he was in the Spirit on the Lord's Day, it very well could have happened anytime.

6. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've read a few different stories about clinical death experiences. I'm not sure if they are real or imagined. Some doctors will tell you it's what the brain does when we start to die. It's being starve of oxygen and causes hallucinations. Which could be true I suppose but that does not explain why some of these recorded experiences are similar in what people claim. Being in a dark tunnel and floating through it towards a bright light is the most common. This one my own mother told the family about after a surgery she had when I was still a teenager. I didn't know what to think of it at the time, I just accepted it because my mother told us about it.

I've read about many of such experiences even a few about people claiming to be in Hell. Though I do not believe God would ever send a Christian to hell even if he could come back and tell us all about his experience as a warning of where we might end up.

The thing about similarities in these experiences is that it makes no difference in what a person believes. I read one of a man from Japan who was a Buddhist who had a pleasant experience in that he to went to Heaven. This one caused me to doubt they are genuine experiences.

One thing for sure these kinds of stories sell really well for a short time
    MB

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The issue is that this young boy never died. Yes, he was being worked on by the doctors but from my understanding, his heart never stopped beating where they had to resucitate him. So how did he have a NDE when he never actually physically nearly died?

8. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

well it didn't happen anytime--paul said he knew a man(himself) 14 years ago you can trace that 14 years from the time he said that and I believe you got it about the time of the stoning at Lystra--I may be wrong here but I think its about right.

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Not a fan of the genre.

If they were dead like Lazarus and came back, or dead like Jesus and came back that's one thing.

But so many of these stories are people that are "clinically" dead - i.e. they were pronounced dead, and perhaps they were "dead" as far as this world is concerned, but they didn't actually DIE.

Not wasting time to read or money to buy those books when I already have the whole story in THE Book.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    problem is that Lazarus and paul were really dead, both had true out of body experiences, yet God recorded for us NOTHING they saw or heard, paul was forbidden to speak it even by God!

if they could not, why trust these others were, especially as much of it contridicts the bible or adds to it?

11. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

Where do you guys get that Paul died and came back to life?

12. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

what passage?

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I believe they were saying that when Paul was stoned and brought out of the city as dead was when he died and came back to life. Or at least that it is a possibility that is what happened.

14. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

Jesus replied, "A man went from Jerusalem to Jericho. On the way robbers stripped him, beat him, and left him for dead. Was he really dead? Nope,and to me its clear nether was Paul.

15. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

For once, HisWitness is right. Not about Paul dying, but rather about the stoning at Lystra.

Paul's telling of being caught up into Paradise was in 60 A.D..
    The stoning in Lystra was in 45 A.D..

While the dates seem to add up. "Above fourteen years ago," i do not believe Paul was actually dead. The Bible does not say he was dead, only that they supposed him to be dead.

16. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

I don't think he actually went into heaven either now---no one at that time hath ascended up but he that came down--Yeshua

IMO--the resurrection had not occurred at that time--and of course I believe everyone was DEAD---no intermediate place for the righteous and evil ones.

of course that means that I think Rich man and laz. was a parable that was putting forth a picture of what was to come after the resurrection of the DEAD.

whether he was alive or dead he heard things unlawful for a man to hear--

:love2::flower::love2::flower:

17. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.
    3 And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;)
    4 How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.

The Bible says he was caught up into the third heaven, the paradise of God.

Why say he wasn't?

Heard things unlawful to hear? Really? Where does the Bible say that?

#37 Steadfast Fred, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2013
  18. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

Paul didn't die twice as you presume...scripture said they "presuming him to be dead"...not he died.

19. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

I find it interesting that he heard--what about saw anything ??
    he didn't even know whether he was in the fleshly body or not ??

maybe he was let in on a conversation that was going on up there without being actually there himself---maybe he was symbolizing it as he was there but not was there. ??if he didn't know whether he was in the body or not and just heard things---then how would he actually know in reality where he was ??

20. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

some saints of the OT was raised when Yeshua was raised and walked the earth--scripture doesn't say what happened to them--we can speculate on both fronts----but it is a strong possibility they died again after being raised just like lazerus did . :thumbsup::thumbsup:

so there is proof of a person dieing 2 times in their lifetimes-

#40 HisWitness, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.