1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heaven

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Steven2006, May 22, 2008.

1. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I have never done very much study on Heaven and admit my ignorance on the subject. I do have a few questions, and I am curious what others think? First I want to state that I believe much of our time will be spent in worship and praise. But after that how much time do you think we will spend with our loved ones? How much of our earthly lives will we remember, and will we visit and talk about our memories? Might there be things that we now currently enjoy, say fishing for example, or just a long walk by a stream? Does anyone have any thoughts and insight as to how we might spend eternity?

2. skypair

skypair Active Member

Spiritually, I believe we arrive in heaven just as we left earth (Rev 6:10-11 is like I imagine it will be at first). We will have the same knowledge, emotions, and desires but they will no longer be torn between flesh and conscience/soul -- between self and God.

Likewise in hell, BTW. The spirit will arrive separated from God, burning to have again the pleasures of the flesh, emotionally thirsty but intellectually in the dark for the love of God.

I believe that if we are raptured to heaven, we will see what Paul (Heb 12:22-24) and John (Rev 4-5) saw even, post-Bema, participating there with the proceedings as we see the 24 elders do. Stripped of our human wisdom, thoughts, and glory ("wood, hay, stubble") at the Bema (1Cor 3:13-15), we will actually direct, with Christ, the judgment of the earth.

One thing I think we can look forward to is Mal 3:13-18 -- the "book of remembrance." In heaven I believe we will remember, as God will, the times we sat together with believers and "thought on His name." There will no doubt be "jewels" among the walls and pillars of NJ for those who didn't believe it was in vain to serve God and who worshipped and were not mournful in His presence. Yes, I believe we will be reunited with all such loved ones in heaven if "book of remembrance" means anything at all!

skypair

3. nunatak

nunatak New Member

Wow, that was a beautiful post SP! Gives me much hope.

4. skypair

skypair Active Member

Thank you. And if you are in East Texas and retired, like me, you already are experiencing it!

skypair

#4 skypair, May 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2008
  5. nunatak

nunatak New Member

East Texas=yes
    Retired=nope!

6. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Hello Steven,

I recommend Mike Wittmer's book Heaven Is a Place on Earth (Amazon link here). Wittmer does a fine job grounding his views of heaven and earth in Scripture and exploring some of the ramifications for our doctrine and practices today. I think you'd enjoy the book.

Setting aside the intermediate state, my personal thoughts on your questions is that our life after resurrection in our spiritual bodies (physical bodies that are so close to the Spirit so that in a way you can say the Spirit operates them), all that we do will be worship. Sure there will be singing, prayer, and meditation, but even things we consider mundane now will take on a worshipful character without sin. It's hard to say what we may or may not remember. I think we'll remember quite a bit about our life before the resurrection because it's the same life before and after. I think that there will be much to enjoy on the refined earth (or "heaven" if you like) that we enjoy now.

BJ

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Heaven by Randy Alcorn is an excellent, in depth read about Heaven.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Welcome back WD! I thought we had lost you forever. :tear:

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What?!? You now think we can lose our salvation? ;) How long was I gone for!

:laugh: Thanks for the welcome back. I hope the mods don't get such a quick trigger finger this time around :D

10. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

welcome back web.

BTW...Calvinism won while you were gone. Just trust me on this one...no need to ask anyone if this be true.

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I'm reading NT Wright's Surprised By Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection and the Mission of the Church. Here' a quote:

You can check out my blog, for more on it: A Confused Rereading of Heaven?

12. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    just finished this one a few days ago, and I now sing "This is My Father's World" with a new perspective!!!

Been anxious before, but I'm chomping at the bit now.:godisgood:

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm glad 100 years of debate was decided due to my absence :D

14. skypair

skypair Active Member

I have to agree -- we ARE citizens of heaven NOW. What is going on there is imagery of what is happening here below. BUT Rev 4-5 is not now. It is after the rapture as John's experience in Rev 4:1 clearly teaches us.

skypair

15. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe Jonathan Edwards did a sermon on heaven. The title was something like "heaven is like nothing on earth".

He based that on the description of heaven in Revelation. "Pure gold, clear like glass...etc". Since gold is not "clear", then heaven is something other than what we can imagine.

I tend to think we will stand in the presence of God and simply enjoy Him forever.

Think about it...If you are standing in the presence of God, where else would you want to go? What could you possibly see that is better than God? Who could you possibly talk to that would be better than talking to God?

Fishing? puuuuuuulease!

BTW, I told a Sunday School class this once and one guy said "you just burst my bubble! I thought I'd get to go fishing every day!"

And he was serious.

peace to you:praying:

16. skypair

skypair Active Member

OK :laugh:

Interesting. Puts a real edge on the difference between 1) the indwelling of the Spirit (which we have), 2) the filling of the Spirit (which we can have as often as we do what you suggest, and 3) being "in the Spirit" like Paul (2Cor 12) and John (Rev 4-5) were.

I certainly agree that there could be nothing better than having the visions of glory that they experienced. Have you ever experienced such? Paul told the Romans that he absolutlely "groaned" awaiting his "adoption" into heaven (Rom 8:23-25) and in the same letter that Paul reports of his "trip" to the "3rd heaven" in 2Cor 12, he tells us in 2Cor 5:2 -- "For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:..." and further, that "that mortality might be swallowed up of life."

I don't think we can achieve such ectasy and, if we did, we might even get suicidal-sounding like Paul (Phil 1:22-24) if we did. "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. ... For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: 24 Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you."

Anyway, Paul says we earnestly hope and patiently wait for what we have not seen -- heaven, the REAL "kingdom of God."

skypair