1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heavy Handed Censorship

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Rosell, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Rosell

Rosell New Member

Has anyone else here noticed how quick the administators are on this particular thread to shut down any discussion that points to facts which clearly show that George W. Bush's behavior, policies and record don't square up with the stated beliefs and platforms of conservative and fundamentalist Christianity?

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Wow, that IS amazing since both of the moderator's and Webmaster are supporters of Petrouka! :eek: :rolleyes:

Diane

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

What thread or discussion has been shut down? I haven't seen enough threads shut down. There are far too many lies that are being allowed to stand. They should be edited for truth, but they are not.

So which threads are you referring to?

4. ballfan

ballfan New Member

He worried about a thread he started that judged Bush not to be a Christian. Shutting it down was the correct thing to do.

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I believe the reference is to a thread I shut down the other day.
    It had absolutely nothing to do with whoever or whatever was being discussed. I didn't notice. All I saw was a small group of Christians taking sarcastic and rude shots at each other.
    That is the reason it was shut down.
    It truly hurts me when we as Christians behave in that matter. It's so wrong. Love one another. Love as Christ loved. It's not in the bible for looks, it's the basis of Christianity, it's what caused Christ to go to the cross for us.
    You can support Kerry or Bush or Peroutka or anyone else until you're blue in the face and that's your decision, but remember who you are while you're doing it. A representative of Christ himself. And no matter who the candidate or what the issue, as a moderator of this forum I will do my best to try to keep the tone becoming of believers.
    You have stated in so many words that you believe that posts showing Bush in a negative light are being targeted. If you truly believe that I can understand how it would upset you, but to be honest I do most of the closing of posts in this forum and I give you my word that I do not base it on one's political viewpoint, but rather for the reasons stated above.
    Gina

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Well said and well done, Gina!

7. Rosell

Rosell New Member

In observing other threads on this board, I notice that "Christians" are allowed to snipe at each other over the course of five, six and even seven pages before the thread is shut down.

The KJVO versus Modern Version arguments incorporate some of the most judgemental, unchristlike characterizations that I think I've ever read, yet they go on and on and on.... I realize that there are others moderating those threads, but it seems like policies should be consistent.

When I've posted information here about Bush, I don't expect everyone to agree with it. There are those who are going to support him no matter what, and others who are simply not going to accept any information, no matter how factual it is, that is critical of him. That's fine. There are others who are ready to believe everything negative that's said about him, and that's fine, too. What I post is for those who haven't yet made up their mind, or for those who are willing to read and consider the opinions and facts presented by others. It is up to them to decide for themselves whether they evaluate it as true and accept it, or reject it.

I can also appreciate the fact that you may have an interpretation of scripture that supports your view. That's great. But what irritates a lot of people, and then degenerates into "sniping" is when Christians claim "immaculate perception," that is to say, their view of scripture must be the right view, and they state it that way. The problem there is that the moderators tend to do things that favor the posts of those with whom they agree, and then they gather a little cheering section who somehow manage to get their post on the thread before the moderator closes it down.

I originally posted two articles about Bush's lack of evangelical compatibility--including one from a conservative evangelical source. For some reason or another, both threads got shut down. Now, with that being the case, can you see why I might think that anything that puts Bush in a negative light will eventually be censored from this board?

8. ballfan

ballfan New Member

I saw the other thread. There was a lot of sniping going on but the part that questioned the salvation of Bush was simply wrong. Thats not our judgement to make.

9. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was ridiculous to shut down that thread. There was no "corrupt communication" as Gina alleged. People have different opinions. Ballfan, it's not wrong to question someone's salvation. Jesus said, "by their fruits ye shall know them." That was the whole point of the other thread. Why can't people do the biblical thing and look at the actions of Bush instead of just listening to his words?

10. ballfan

ballfan New Member

I would respectfully disagree with most of your post. Are you suggesting that all are condemmed? I think all of us at one time or another have questionable actions. Applied to Bush are you saying he is not saved?

When Jesus said "by their fruits ye shall know them" I believe he meant those that produce no good fruit but only the rotten things no matter how much they go around proclaiming how good they are. That in my opinion wouldn't apply to Bush.

As for us in general I think the following is the path Jesus wants us to go down.

Luk 6:37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

We might know them by their fruits but that ultimate judgement belongs to God and not us. As to our dealings here on earth we are called on to judge amoung ourselves. That we should do and if a brother is found to be in error we should help to bring him back to the truth. But we have no right to say he is not saved and thus condemned to eternity in the lake of fire which is exactly what we're saying when we judge his salvation incompetent.

So to say Bush is wrong is one thing but to say he is not saved is totally another and not permitted.

11. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

It IS permitted. That is not why the thread was shut down, accordeing to the moderator. I am not interested in arguing whether Bush is or is not a Christian, nor do I think most are.

If someone is burglarizing my house, it does not matter to me whether he is an Atheist or a wayward Christian. Same with President.

12. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

If I owned this board, there would be no politics forum.

Diane

13. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

Fortunately...

But if I owned it, I'd shut down the games forums.

Just kidding.

14. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

15. Rosell

Rosell New Member

I've looked at that thread a dozen times since it was shut down, and I can't find a single place where it appears that there is anything resembling "sniping." There is disagreement, though I don't even see where anyone has accused either Bush or any other person making a post of not being a Christian or questioned their salvation. By posting the article, I'm not questioning Bush's salvation, not at all. I realize that many Baptists and some other conservative evangelicals do not think that other denominations or other believers, particularly those that don't fit the "evangelical" or "Baptist" label, are saved, but they don't define "salvation."

Many of the people who post here, particularly in the "Baptist only" threads, are very narrow in their definition of Christian faith, and tend to exclude those who do not fall within their literalist standards. It just seems a bit inconsistent, at least to me, to hold that position but make exceptions in your convictions to vote for a man who doesn't meet any of those narrow criteria, simply because he occasionally walks through the door of a church and gives lip service to one of their pet social issues. It's fair to point that out.

It's inconsistent to close a thread that doesn't go Bush's way, but to allow sniping and hostility on threads that are anti-Kerry. Some of those go on for five or six pages, and are never shut down.

16. Rosell

Rosell New Member

He worried about a thread he started that judged Bush not to be a Christian. Shutting it down was the correct thing to do. </font>[/QUOTE]You're mistaken.

I did not start a thread that judged Bush not to be a Christian. I started a thread that judged Bush, by his own actions and words, not to be an evangelical, conservative or fundamentalist Christian. There are millions of Christians, saved by the grace of God through their faith in Christ, who aren't evangelical, conservative or fundamentalist.

17. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

18. Rosell

Rosell New Member

Ah, a typical conservative response. Attack something you don't like, or ridicule it, but offer no real intelligent, reasonable or factual argument to support your position.

So much for your credibility.

19. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Okay - here's an intelligent, reasonable, factual response:

Don't like the way the board is run? Take a hike and start your own forum.

As far as "support for my position" just go back and read your posts. Cry baby.

20. ballfan

ballfan New Member

He worried about a thread he started that judged Bush not to be a Christian. Shutting it down was the correct thing to do. </font>[/QUOTE]You're mistaken.

I did not start a thread that judged Bush not to be a Christian. I started a thread that judged Bush, by his own actions and words, not to be an evangelical, conservative or fundamentalist Christian. There are millions of Christians, saved by the grace of God through their faith in Christ, who aren't evangelical, conservative or fundamentalist.
    </font>[/QUOTE]What? The very title of the thread states differently.
    What does not being born again mean to you?

What does being born again mean to you?