1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Help...Am I On Track?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Lori, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Lori

Lori New Member

I tried posting this on the theology board and noboby was paying any attn to it so I'm really hoping that someone will see it here and respond.

Thanks.

I have a theory as to a way to explain sin and the fact that we are sinners to non-believers, but I would like to have y'all review it and let me know if it would be 1)Biblicly(sp?) sound and 2)make any sense Thanks a bunch in advance for your help...

Ok here goes.

1)Give them the Biblical definition of the word sin, and then also give them the definition of the same word from a dictionary (the two should agree right?)

2)Hopefully they've understood that and can agree with those defs so from there you give them an example of a sin. Let's say tell a lie.

3)Ask them if they've ever told a lie to which they *should* be willing to reply yes they've told at least one.

4)Hopefully by this time they're still with ya and understanding what you're saying so you ask them "In society if you lie doesn't that classify a person as a liar?" To this they should say yes.

5)"Well then would you agree that a lie is wrong?" This can get tricky because different people think telling lies at different times/situations are acceptable. So ask them to pick a situation where a lie would be wrong...i.e. you knock something over and have to lie to cover it...they should hopefully see that as wrong. At this point they should be able to see that a lie is wrong (or at least they should bend enough to notice that even to them there are lies that are just wrong).

6)Loop them back to #1 where in if they've lied more than once that makes them a liar and since a lie is wrong and they've done it more than once that would make them a sinner.

Ok how was that? Suggestions comments?

azwyld
    <*}}}><

2. Eutychus

Eutychus Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Generally, a person isn't considered a liar for telling a single lie; a pattern of compulsive lying makes one a liar. Of course, in God's eyes a single lie is enough to warrant eternal separation, which is the main thing you want to convey.

My point is that by making this too complicated you are asking to get the discussion sidetracked. Points 1 through 3 are a good start, 4-6 might be too much.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Food for thought: Killing just one person still makes you a murderer, doesn't it? OTOH, if you once worshipped idols, and abandoned that, are you still an idolater?

Interesting thread.

4. Lori

Lori New Member

Well like I said...it is just a working theory I have as to try to explain sin to people that hear the word, but for some reason it just doesn't sink in.

Thanks both of y'all for answering and giving some good insight. This will remain a working theory until I am comfortable enough to know that it's not going to make a conversation go all wonkey and into outerspace with confusion. lol

azwyld
    <*}}}><

5. paulsfocus

paulsfocus New Member

If it where me I would Probably take them to
    Isa. 64:6- "But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our rightiousnesses are as filthy rags;..."
    and
    Pro. 21:4- "An high look, and a proud heart, and the plowing of the wicked, is sin."

6. Lori

Lori New Member

Well that would sure be quick...thanks for listing those!!

azwyld
    <*}}}><

7. fireweed59

fireweed59 New Member

8. fireweed59

fireweed59 New Member

OOps! I messed up on the last try.

Lori: The "S" word for many today in our culture is a difficult concept, mainly due to the de-Christianization of the culture. I admire your desire to help the unbeliever understand.
    I have found that many people may become resistant or put walls up if you go into a long "sales pitch" of logical buy-ins that they have to agree to as you lead them down a path of commiting to YOUR understanding. There can be many logical fallacies one arrives at by saying if this, then this, right? Then if this then this, agreed?
    I don't write this to disagree with the reasoning in your explanation, just don't get caught up in the method. If someone needs that much explanation of sin, they probably aren't ripe for harvest. Pray and minister to them. Tell them how God loves and cares for YOU everytime there is an opening. Use the culture and current life to illustrate sin and its consequences. One doesn't have to look far.

I just wanted to offer another perspective for your edification. I don't disagree with the other writers either. God Bless your planting, watering, or harvesting. Whatever He decides to do with you. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Lori

Lori New Member

Thanks fireW. I was just kind of hoping that the way it was presented was general enough so that it wasn't something of my understanding or beliefs alone. I will probably wait a while still before using this tract with anyone just to be on the safe side.

azwyld
    <*}}}><