1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heritage Foundation: Throwing Good Medicine After Bad

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here’s a pop quiz: Your doctor says you need an oxygen concentrator to live. Do you (A) buy one for $587, or (B) rent one for 36 months through Medicare and pay $1,443 in co-insurance? The total Medicare bill for the concentrator would amount to $7,215.

If you’re a Medicare patient, the answer is B. Why? Because that’s what the Medicare bureaucracy says you — and the taxpayers who subsidize your coverage — are to pay under current law.

Under our hopelessly complex Medicare payment system, bureaucrats — not the open marketplace — determine how much you pay for a range of home health care equipment, from oxygen concentrators to wheelchairs to diabetes supplies. And bureaucrats are not known as smart shoppers — at least not when they’re spending taxpayers’ money.

More Here

Now, let's put the rest of our health care in government hands. Because it works so well there. All evidence shows that government run healthcare is a mistake.

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you want to see how the U.S. government runs a hospital, go visit your local V.A. hospital. I'm guessing you won't want that for yourself...

I was watching a reality show on BBC America last week about the "worst teeth in Britain." As you can imagine, there were some Brits on the show with real dental problems that affected their health and their ability to do simple things like chew their food, interact with others and advance their careers. One of the people they profiled needed to have dental work done under general anesthesia and was put on a waiting list. How long was her wait going to be? TWO YEARS!

No thanks, I don't want that kind of "health care" here. Even the poorest, uninsured people in our society can get free (or greatly reduced) dental care within a reasonable time frame.

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Love them or hate them the VA hospitals do performs services. One saved my father-in-laws life last year and one is giving my brother better care than he has had all his adult life. He is a farmer and FINALLY is getting some care. I had a hard time convincing him he should enroll in the VA.

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I certainly agree. However, the quality of the facilities is generally much lower than hospitals for the general public. I work for an architecture/engineering firm and it is surprising how many of the V.A. hospitals haven't seen upgrades since the 1950s. Since the V.A. doesn't have to compete on the basis of quality or qualifications, there is little incentive to improve. Furthermore, the needs of the V.A. system are held hostage to the whims of the political climate.

I happy to hear that.

Unfortunately, I have a friend who suffered through misdiagnosis of a genetic disorder for several years through the V.A. system. They prescribed treatments and medications that made the situation much worse and likely shortened her lifespan and mobility. The only way she was able to receive a correct diagnosis and begin effective treatment was to leave the public system and seek out a private physician who was much more interested in pursuing her case than processing patients.

#4 Baptist Believer, Jun 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have several friends and church members who go to the VA regularly. One told me the other day his own VA doctor told him he wouldn't go there. The red tape is excessive and wait times for simple checkups often exceed four hours. Add to that their costs for services are going up regularly so it is becoming less worth going.

The point is that when government gets involved with any program it is inefficient and expensive. Government never makes it better only worse. Not one program has been taken from the private sector and improved upon by the government. In the end we can expect terrible service and unnecessary costs exceeding reasonable levels.

6. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The scariest possible scenario---

You have had a major disaster in your family - there's a knock on your front door - you open the door - you are greeted with "Hi, I'm from the government; I'm here to help you."

ANXIETY ATTACK!!!! :praying: :praying: