1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hewbrews 1:6

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by PostCode, Jun 22, 2005.

1. PostCode

PostCode New Member

And when He again brings the firstborn into the world, He says, "AND LET ALL THE ANGELS OF GOD WORSHIP HIM." NASB

I understand the firstborn is Christ but am trying to understand when. Firstborn from resurrection or the new kingdom? If it is the resurrection then do the angels worship him now? If it is the firstborn at the millennial kingdom then do the angels worship him now or will they worship him then?

The word "when" and "again" are telling me that this hasn't occurred yet and so is not a reference to the resurrection but rather the firstborn into the new kingdom, His second coming.

Am I reading this correctly?

2. PostCode

PostCode New Member

Argh. Sorry about the title name typo there.

3. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

It is my understanding that "firstborn" is a reference to "position" not actual birth. That fits the context, since the author is saying that Jesus has a higher standing or position than the angels.

4. Athanasian Creed

Athanasian Creed New Member

Heb 1:6
    Bringeth in the first-begotten into the world Bringeth in the first-begotten into the world; by his incarnation and the events that followed it, thus establishing in and through him "the kingdom of heaven" among men. It is of this kingdom that the ninety-seventh Psalm, from which the apostle immediately proceeds to quote, speaks. It describes, by anticipation, the coming of God as king to destroy the wicked and save his people, verses Heb 1:3-6. His reign is one in which "the multitude of isles," the whole gentile world, is called upon to rejoice, verse Heb 1:1. The ancient Jews rightly understood the psalm of the Messiah, in whom alone it is fulfilled, and whose kingdom it describes in its whole extent to the end of time. Let all the angels of God worship him Let all the angels of God worship him; quoted according to the Greek version from Ps 97:7, where the word "gods" in the original Hebrew means the heavenly hosts. As Christ in his deepest humiliation received the worship of angels as well as of men, and as he is now receiving it in glory, it is certain that he is God; and that in paying him divine honors they and we are not breaking, but obeying the command, Worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve. Mt 4:10; Re 5:8-14.
    - Family Bible Notes Commentary

Ray [​IMG]

5. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think that first-begotten is the better description!

6. wopik

wopik New Member

first-begotten implies other begotten children of God.

"...that he (Jesus) might be the FIRST-born among many brethern" (Romans 8:29).

Or as the New Revised Standard Version says, "...that he (Jesus) might be the FIRST-born within a large FAMILY."