1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Historic Baptists???

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Phillip, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Hi, Squire Robertsoon,
    I saw you post on another thread and read your profile and was interested in the church you belong to.
    It does sound interesting. Would you mind sharing with us more about it?
    I'm assuming you try to pattern worship as close to historical churches as possible? Am I correct? And what age are these historical churches? How did your particular group get started?

If you do not wish to answer, that is okay. I know this is a debate site and I'm not trying to debate. You just have my curiousity peaked and I would be interested in hearing more about your church. [​IMG] I hope you didn't mind me using your name in the subject -- you may change that if you wish, I simply wanted to catch your attention.

[ March 30, 2004, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: rsr ]

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some of us belong to churchs founded long before the modernist/fudamentalist controversy. In my case, my home church was founded in 1881. So, we were fundamental before fundamentalism was fun [​IMG] . Sometimes I use the cumbersome phrase:
    My home church's (which for the sake of discretion, I will not identify further than the use of her historic but no longer used name.) founding document identifies it as holding to Regular Baptist doctrine. I interpert that in light of her following history as those doctrines and practices commonly held by the Northern Baptists of the period. Mind you the NBC didn't come into being for another twenty years. So, we started as an independent church. During the following 120+ years, we have affiliated or identifed with the Northern Baptist Convention, the Conservative Baptist Association and the Fundamental Baptist Fellowship.

However, for the purposes of this Board, we (as a church) have never been affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention. Nor have our pastors come out of any of the SBC schools.That is not to say in days gone by we did not fellowship with local SBC churchs.

Hope this helps