1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HIstorical "What if"... if Texas Revolution had been unsuccessful?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Alcott, Mar 20, 2006.

?
  1. Sam Houston would have been executed or else become a fugitive from Mexico (including province of Te

63.6%
  2. The defenders of the Alamo and Goliad would be considered not tragic heroes, but <i>heroic fools</i>

9.1%
  3. The United States of America would have never expanded beyond what was purchased from France (Louisi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The USA would have offered to buy much of the Rocky Mountain states from Mexico and obtained the lan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The USA would have offered to buy much of the Rocky Mountain states, but not obtained the lands

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. The USA would still have gone to war to seize much or all the land historically known as the Mexican

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna would have remained continually in power in Mexico (instead of multiple

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. The USA would have invaded Mexico in 1836 or 1837, because most of those killed in the Revolution we

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Texas would still have eventually become a state in the USA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. European, or other, nations would have seen Mexico's northern provinces as vulnerable to conquest an

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Mexico, a country without much wealth, would have put its northern provinces up for bid to potential

18.2%
  12. Most remaining American settlers in Texas would have left for states/territories under control of US

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Mexico would have supported the Union, supposing the Civil War still occured when it did

9.1%
  14. Mexico would have supported the South, supposing the Civil War still occured when it did

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Mexico, sensing itself a militarist empire, would have tried to conquer more lands, especially Centr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. The American Civil War would have gone much as it did

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. American settlers in Texas would have aided the South in the Civil War, even if illegally

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. American settlers in Texas would have tried to play the Union and Mexico against each other in the C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. The Civil War would have become a larger conflict, involving Mexico, then allies and enemies of Mexi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. The Civil War would have become 'hemispherical war,' with pro-slavery CSA, Brazil, and allies agains

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. The Civil War would have been over in less time, with less casualties and less enduring animosities

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. Mexico, wilth its poor finances, would somehow have still been forced to <i>reduce</i>, rather than

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  23. Mexico would still have dominion over Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, much of Colorado and Wyoming

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  24. An American war against Mexico would still have been fought, but more to obtain California than Texa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  25. Although the 'roads' may have differed to some extent, the historical outcome of a sea-to-sea USA wo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  26. Mexico would have become a much wealthier country in the 20th century, with its control over Texas o

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  27. I can think of other significant effects of the Texas Revolution not 'succeeding'

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  28. I think the Texas Revolution actually <i>did not</i> succeed and Mexico never recognized Texas indep

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  29. No answer-- I don't care about "historical 'what if'" questions

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  30. No answer-- I just want to read poll results

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In spite of the 'low voter turnout' for the first historical "what if" poll since the poll about polls, here is another, but it will contain only one question. Please ignore that some anwers may be predicated on previous answers, and just go by best impressions.

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The key for a successful Mexico after putting down the Texas Rebellion is the discovery of gold in California. California had been written off by all of the colonial powers (Spain, Mexico, and Russia) for its lack of mineral wealth.
    Also factor in the movement of the Mormons into the Salt Lake City area. B. Young and Co, moved there because it was just beyond the reach of any central government. Without a Mexican War occuring when it did, Deseret could have proved a harder nut for Washington to crack.

3. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well you got me there....I never knew Texas had a rebellion.....drat there is so much I do not know!!

4. EaglewingIS4031

EaglewingIS4031 New Member

The French would not have conqured Mexico in the 1850's and subsequently there would be no "Cinco de mayo" And this would have been written in Spanish!