1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

History of YOUR home church?

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by convicted1, Jul 16, 2011.

1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Thanks Bro. Squire for the correction. Now, does anyone have a history of the Pilgrims, and did they form a church that ended up sprouting an association?

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Bro. Mike, why did Mt. Zion change their name from Little Maudie, and in what year did this take place?

Are you talking about the Stonecoal church in NS located at Garrett, Ky. If so, I would have never thought it would have been around since the early-1800's.

BTW, thank you for your response to this thread. :thumbs:

3. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Old Regular

What is the orgin of the Sovereign Grace association?

4. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    FBC, Osprey was organized in 1909 with 21 charter members. Osprey was a little fishing community pretty cut off from the rest of western FL, so people came by boat, horses or hand cars on the old railroad tracks. They shared a pastor with 2 other churches for the first years. But they started giving to missions ($2.35 on the first Sunday). And that became a part of our DNA as a church. They baptized new believers in the Gulf of Mexico.

Osprey is still a small community that is rapidly being swallowed up by Sarasota. For those who were raised here, we are still viewed as the community's church. But as our community has changed so has the church's membership and ministry.

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Thank you, Bro. Tom, for your quote in this thread. I pray that God blesses you to grow!! :thumbs:

6. SonPraises

SonPraises New Member

Wow! What a small world. My aunt is a Regular Baptist. I think it is called the Mountain Association.

She is my favorite aunt and they have a memorial service once a year for the deceased members--which still strikes me as odd. As she is a widow she invites me.

I must admit that the style of preaching is too difficult for me to follow, and it could never be my home church.

A while back I was describing the style of singing and sent the person a youtube link of "Amazing Grace" being lined and sung in the style of the Old Regular Baptists. They sent back this video which you might find interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3MzZgPBL3Q

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Hey, thanks for your imput in this thread. Would you care to give us a history of your home church, and its origins?

Now, as for the once a year memorials, most, if not all, ORBs have these. My home church has ours the third weekend in September, on that third sunday. If you think about it, each time we meet at church, it is a memorial service, remembering one who has risen from the grave, and is now on the right hand of the Father, making intercession for us, when we stumble. You talk about "Amazin' Grace"!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbsup:

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Thanks Brother for your input in this thread, and the history of your church. :thumbs:

Your church has been around since the 1800's and still going? Amazing! Bro. OUB on here, his home church has been around since 1820(??). It does my heart good to know how great a God we serve.

Your church sounds similiar to mine, size wise. We have 19 on the book, and about 13-15 are there every time the door opens. We have 25-40(sometimes smaller) come and worship with us, with 50-60 being the biggest crowd. But, we have had some dandy meetings in that little church. We have just about shook the sheetrock loose. LOL