1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hits to a site

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by preach97, May 1, 2006.

1. preach97

preach97 New Member

I have recently taken over for our church's website. www.dayspringbaptist.org We are still in the construction phase of our new format for the site but the site is coming along nicely with many things already done.

What I am wondering is, What is the best way to direct traffic to your site and increase the hits on it?

I would love any opinion. [​IMG]

2. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

You can for a fee use a third party to 'list' your site on all (or most) of the major search engines. I checked out your site...nice!!

I made a website for my former Church in California...I left there under orders of Uncle Sam :( Their website is Calvary Baptist Church

3. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I just hit refresh a few times and your hit counter went up to 80 [​IMG]

4. preach97

preach97 New Member

Thanks James but I am also trying to get new traffic onto the site. I do not really care about the hit counter as much as I care about new hits. Yet I appreciate the help. [​IMG]

5. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Sorry brother, I was having a little fun. I believe our web site recieves a lot of traffic due to scores of articles that our pastor has written on various subjects. I don't know of a good way to get traffic other than having a strong search engine presence. The more content you have available, the better.

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Put the address on church letter heads, any ads you run, in your phone book adds and on any literature you give out in any way.

If your server has any listing/directory, be sure you are on it.

Many of the search engines allow you to submit your address for a search. I'd get it close to finished first so it gets all of it searched.

Google and probably others allow you for a small, per hit fee to have special placing, but not sure that would be a way to draw people to your church, but if you have great content you want to get to the world it might be an option.

If it is useful to the congregation, word of mouth will do a good job.

You could join a "ring" and possibly get more exposure.

Remember it is Christ that will build His church, so yes do the best you can and all you can, but let him build :)

7. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I designed and maintain our church's web site too. I placed a free site meter to get a count, find out the location of interested parties, how long the site is viewed by each visitor, and what site led them to ours. It's a great resource ... check it out. [​IMG]

I clicked on your posted link but didn't find your church's web site, preach97.

8. preach97

preach97 New Member

PJ,

You may want to try again clicking on the link. www.dayspringbaptist.org
    I just hit it and it came up.

Thanks everyone for the advice and keep it coming. [​IMG]

9. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting. I get ...

I'll try again later, preach97. I'm obviously missing something. :confused:

10. mnw

mnw New Member

excentric gives good advice. Get the churches web address on everything!

Purposeful content, like James mentioned, also is helpful.

Though, I just clicked the link and got a holding page of sorts. I'll try again later.

11. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Yeah, I'm getting the same page now. Time to pay the light bill ;)

12. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One other thing, you might google with your church name in quotes followed by your city and state. This normally brings up several listings of churches, if yours is on it contact the site and tell them your website addy and I'd guess you might get added.

13. preach97

preach97 New Member

Okay guys,

I am sorry we are having problems with the site. Hopefully in the next two days we will get this problem fixed. I will let you know.

14. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good stuff! Thanks for sharing ... [​IMG]

15. mnw

mnw New Member

Just got to see it. It's really good, well done.

Something I am working on is motion on the screens. There is a term for it, one of the pros here will be able to tell us. [​IMG]

One thing is I used a free program called Powerbullet to make a flash presentation of the Gospel. Powerbullet does the job but is not user friendly by any stretch of the imagination.

On the front page I have a fading text scroller.

They are just small things but they can help a site in my limited experiance. Of course, too much can be just annoying. But in moderation it can be good.

Not a plug for my site, but so you can see what I'm talking about: www.faithbaptist.co.uk

Okay, so it is a little plug, but my main intention is to share what has helped me. [​IMG]

16. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  17. BroChris

BroChris Member

There are many ways to drive traffic to your site. I think the very best way, though, it just to get your address out there to those who might actually type it into their browser. Put it on your church letterhead, business cards, Sunday bulletins, envelopes, and anything else that your church publishes. Tell people in the church that you just made a new web site for the church.

Get other web sites to link to yours. I used to do this just by signing their guestbooks. Don't just blatantly spam them by saying "hey visit my web site," but give them a geniune comment regarding their own web site, and leave your url. People like getting feedback regarding their web sites.

18. preach97

preach97 New Member

MNW,

Great job on the site. I was wondering were you got the program powerbullet from?

Once again, Great job and keep up the good work.