1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Honest debate of Lordship Salvation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by canadyjd, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Care to elaborate on this, then?
    I understand sir....... and that is my wish too. It is not about Calvinism for me either..... but I do believe sir that Calvinism is at the root of the disagreement between Lou, Quack and other non calvinist with those who hold to reformed theology.

2. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

I think the problem has already been noted. Canady noted the fact that most Calvinist believe that regeneration comes before one can exercise their faith or at least at the same time. Lou holds to one believing before he is regenerated........ hense the disagreement. JM is most definately Calvinist... and he holds the belief that God's gift is given to man (faith) when he is given the new nature to respond in belief/faith.... and after this he does respond with commitment to Jesus. Does that make sense web. I have a hard time putting things I want to say into words. I hope it makes sense for you.

3. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

I too have a problem with the way JM words the part about whole hearted commitment. Regenerate people may have intentions about being whole heartedly committed to Jesus... but their commitment falls way short too many times.

4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is why I actually took you to MacArthur's website and demonstrated that he didn't require "upfront" commitment prior to salvation and that he rejects the notion of a works based salvation.

However, you just keep repeating the same ole things, regardless of the facts that have been presented to you.

peace to you:praying:

5. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have demonstrated it by comparing what Lou claims John MacArthur teaches with (in context) quotes from MacArthur's website, specifically on this subject.

That has yet to be responded to by you or Lou, simply because there is no denying the side by side comparison demonstrates MacArthur is being misrepresented.

6. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you look honestly at what J.Mac is saying on Lordship, then I, too, have stated the same thing you are saying concerning "wholehearted" commitment.

He doesn't appear, at least initially, to allow for growth in commitment toward Jesus as a person matures in their faith.

If that is what LS teaches, then I disagree.

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Why that is the case, I don't know. I do not see Calvinism as a direct link to the LS framing. Does anyone see a link?

8. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

Yes, the Calvinist doctrine of Perseverance is the primary source for the development of LS. The same conclusions incorporated into P are applied in LS.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's the matter Q ? Can't you admit you made a blunder ? BB is not a Calvinist ( apparently you thought so ) so you made an unwarranted leap and charged Calvinists with holding to his views . Please document just one Calvinist here or elsewhere who claims that someone who is regenerate always turns away from sin . If you can't furnish such a quote admit your folly and move on . But please don't go on a grandiloquent rant in an attempt to cover-up your unfounded assertions .[/quote]

Again ,please document your assertion .

10. Isaiah40:28

Isaiah40:28 New Member

Hi canadyjd,
    I have some quotes from various proponents of the Lordship Salvation debate. I post the following quotes to perhaps help you understand what the LS position is and what it is not. Hope you find it helpful regardless of what stand you take in this issue.

From Kenneth Gentry's short book entitled Lord of the Saved: Getting to the Heart of the Lordship Debate which I have been reading and reading throughout the duration of this thread.
    And this is John Macarthur speaking about the call to repentance from his book The Gospel According to Jesus( revised and expanded edition)
    Here also is Sam Storms (http:///www.enjoyinggodministries.com/article/the-lordship-salvation-debate) commenting on the LS position:
    Sam Storms continues with some thoughts from John Piper:

11. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you very much! These quotes are helpful to my understanding, particularly Sam Storm.
    This was one area which I misunderstood. The idea of "explicit practice of progressive submission to Christ...."deomonstrates that, at least some, advocates of LS do understand a believer will mature in their faith, which will lead to greater commitment to our Lord.

Thank you again:thumbs: Isaiah40:28

12. Isaiah40:28

Isaiah40:28 New Member

Glad you found the post helpful.
    I looked for John MacArthur's teaching on sanctification and found this link:
    http://www.biblebb.com/files/MAC/90-287.htm
    If you have time to read the whole sermon, I think you will find that what MacArthur teaches and believes is very much in line with the views of the others already quoted.

13. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    From what I knew of J.Mac, I suspected that to be true.

What is curious however, is his talk of "wholehearted commitment" being an element (if you will) of salvific faith in his discussion of the Lordship issue. I am, I suppose, not quite understanding what he means by "wholehearted commitment" and how that is related to maturing in the faith.

14. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

This thread has reached the Baptist Board page limit of 30 and will be closed

There is a similiar thread of like subject in this forum---please feel free to continue discussions there

Blackbird

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.