1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How are you going to use your tax cut to stimulate the economy?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by targus, Feb 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That will be $800 that I would not otherwise have and I am thankful to God for it. :godisgood:

2. targus

targus New Member

And yet you don't seem to be thankful for the portion of your medical insurance that your employer provides.

I have no doubt that it is costing your employer more than $26 a week to provide you with that benefit.

Perhaps instead of going on and on about a government run health care progam you could thank God for what you already have.:saint:

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The truth is I am indeed thankful to God for the medical insurance that my employer provides my wife and me. The truth is I am thankful to God for all of the many blessings he gives my wife and me. :godisgood:

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

God was richly blessing my family long before the Bush-Obama 2 trillion dollar bailout duo dreamed this up. I don't believe God needs the federal government to continue to bless us.

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I looked at a little of it. The bill is unintelligible to anyone not schooled in what bureaucratic jargon.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Us, too. :godisgood:

2) I totally agree. :godisgood:

7. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One can favor a solution that provides insurance to the millions of uninsured while being thankful for one's own insurance. My employer provides excellent insurance for me, but I have friends that are not as fortunate. I am thankful for what I have, but it doesn't mean I should ignore the difficulties of others.

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Enough said... His promise was to change Washington...

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I thought the $500 was a McCain promise so you can buy health care???

Obama said he would not raise taxes for 95% of American's and looks like he came through for us...

10. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No, the 500 was Obama's promise for a new car and college education.

McCain wanted to give a tax credit of I believe 3-5000 (not sure the exact figure) for heath care. So after you paid for the health care all year, at the end of the year you would get most or all of it back in the form of a credit. I would rather of had this than the 400 Obama is giving since I am without health care myself. I can get on my wife's plan for about 350 a month but can't afford to. With McCain's deal I would have had heath care for a year, each year, rather than a few bucks a month for a year or so.

Yeah, horray for Obama!

:applause: Not yet! He has 3 years and 11 months to go. Remember Bush senior? "Read my lips". Do you really believe you will be paying less taxes at the end of Obama's term? I have some ocean front property in Arizona for you to buy into as well!

11. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

In answer to the OP, I'd be like the guy who was asked, "what would you do with a million dollars?" His answer was, "I'd pay my bills as far as it would go."

Then a farmer was asked the same question. His answer: "I guess I'd just keep farmin' until it all ran out."

12. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

No, he promised not to appoint lobbyists, but he broke it. He promised to be bipartisan, and he broke it. He promised to be the most transparent administration in history, and he broke it. He promised to be the most ethical administration in history, and he broke it. And there are others ...

And it hasn't even been a month yet.

13. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Can I ask an honest and open question? I am not 'baiting' you or anything like that, I am just curious.

Did you ever, ever in your life think that Obama or McCain would do 100% or even a small percentage of what they promised?

Obama has done the same that ALL politicians do.. they tell us what we want to hear to get the vote and then do it the way they see fit.

I ask honestly because you are making it sound like you actually believed it WOULD be different. That Obama would be different and since he's not we should all drop our jaw in disbelief.

Can you show me one post pior to the election where you thought Obama would actually do what he said he would?

It's politics as always, what is really new about this?

14. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jamie,

Folks on this board supported and voted for Obama based on his wonderful speeches of CHANGE. Now they are being taken to task on their vote. Those of us who did not vote for the man knew he could not deliver the fairytale he preached. And now we have a teaching opportunity to tell our fellow Christians to come back to the values of Jesus Christ and put these poloticians who support murder out of office. They are not going to CHANGE anything about the way Congress does business, but at least some of them understand we should never torture babies to death in the womb.

Christians actually set their morals aside to vote their pocket books and look what they are getting. I think it is just reward if God chooses to crush the USA ecomomy because of our choice of money over life.

15. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I think that we have been played as fools. :tonofbricks:

16. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Your post makes no sense.

Yes, people on this board voted for Obama. But that doesn't make this a "teaching" opportunity like you suggested. If that was so, that lesson should have started some 40-50 years ago as every POTUS we have elected has failed us in my opinion. Some have done better than others in some areas, but all of politics as we would like to know it don't exsist. This was a problem before Obama so my quesiton to you is why hold his feet to the fire any differently than Bush or Clinton or any other president?

Let's be real, did the people that voted for him REALLY believe he would be different or where they just tired of the Republicans way (Bush) and would have voted for anyone other than another Republican?

There is a difference and I believe more people voted to cast out a party more than they thought the party they were voting for was any better...

Again with a teaching opportunity that has been there long before Obama... why think it will change now?

I will agree, until we MAKE it change ourselves, Washington will NEVER change. As far as the charge of abortion and such that is a single issue that until we start at a local/state level we can't expect it to change at a national level.

I don't talk of abortion much, but here is my take and why I don't care what Politicans tell me about abortion.. I find witnessing to people and showing them the errors of their ways will prevent that error from happening. I haven't been in a situation where I could turn someone way from a abortion, but I believe it exsisits.

An example that is closely tied to this.. I used to be gay. My Pastor through prayer, conversation and many nights talking lead me away from that life. They could have banned gay relationships and me and my partner would have just gone 'underground'.... we wouldn't have let a law come in between our love. It was thought talking on a local/one on one level that things changed. That is how to create REAL change be it abortion, spending, or a gay lifestyle.

They are getting more of the same... like I asked earlier.. what is new here?

17. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Amen and amen!!!!!

18. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Yes, I did. I didn't think they would do everything they said. I knew during the campaign that Obama wasn't going to do what he said he was going to do, particularly on the war.

But they are the ones who said it, not me. Why am I the bad guy because someone else promised to do something?

Yes, and I think that is problemmatic.

He is the one who ran on "Change you can believe in." Turns out we couldn't, and that's not okay with me. It may be okay with Ken and Dragonfly, and LeBuick and all the other Obama slappies, but it's not okay with me. It wouldn't have been okay if it was McCain. It wasn't okay when it was Bush. It's not okay.

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Oh yea, I remember wondering how much this plan would do for all the unemployed who have no money to pay for health care? I guess they'd have no health care and no refund at the end of the year. How many ways can you do for the haves and keep excluding the have nots?

You got me there, I read his lips all the way to the polls. He was determined not to raise our taxes and would have gotten a second term if he didn't have to. However, as Bush Sr. learned, there becomes a time when tax cuts ain't the answer and tax increases might be...

20. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

First legislation, record proportions and 3 weeks through the Congress. I call that change. Never saw that before... :thumbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.