1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How can the Arizona Immigration Law be racial profiling ?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by targus, May 20, 2010.

1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Now you're attacking my character. I never just "plug" figures. I'm making a general statement about people. And people generally like their jobs to be easier. If the legislature makes it easier so be it. In my profession I would like more restrictions because this last downturn is an accounting debacle and I don't think sorbanes oxley goes far enough. However, I'm glad for the spreadsheets and accounting programs developed to help me do my Job a lot better and faster thank you which makes it easier.

2. targus

targus New Member

Wrong.

If you meet the description of the suspect they have a cause to stop you.

That you meet the description is reason enough - in and of itself - to question you. They do not need to use the immigration law at all.

I don't know who this doctor is and I don't know what he said or why he said it.

But I do find it absolutely hilarious that after all your whining and hysterics about racial profiling - you make gross assumptions about the race of my wife ! :laugh:

And based on what ? Nothing !!

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You didn't read my earlier post, did you. Our, my wife and I, are the source of this. It is called experience. ROFL

Read my earlier post again ... carefully.

4. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No, I didn't mention your wife's race but its a comment on the probablity on you not having hispanic last name. Also going from stopping to searching are two entirely different matters.

5. targus

targus New Member

:tongue3:
    I see, for you to make assumptions about police officers using racial profiling to make their job easier - that's just a fact?

Yes, sure, of course, everyone knows that all police are racists !

But when asked if your general statement about people on which you base your low opinion of police officers also applies to you - that is a "personal attack" !! :smilewinkgrin:

So what is it that makes you so much better and upright than "people in general"?

Could it be that your generalization is just hot air?

6. targus

targus New Member

So when you are a black man or a middle easterner you are always stopped by airport security?

You can only speak about yourself - not the popluation in general.

At best you can only say that you have observed who is stopped and who is not stopped.

But even that would be nothing more than a reflection of your preconceived notion of who is and is not being stopped.

Your really should stop rolling around on the floor - it's quite unbecoming - especially when you are wrong. :tongue3:

7. targus

targus New Member

Based on probability ?

Sounds like profiling to me. :smilewinkgrin:
    Where does the Arizona immigration law give the right to search?

You are the one making the jump from asking for a drivers license to searching.

Seriously, thinking about this as much as you appear to be can't be good for you.

8. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You misrepresnt me again. I said I KNOW SOME LEOS and SOME ARE RACIST Others ARE NOT. You didn't pay attention. I'm not saying I'm better than people in general I'm saying its a general statement which is generally applied you can't therefore take it and make its specific. There are LEO's who go above and beyond the call of duty and other do not. Accountants are the same. If this ressession has taught you anything it should be that if accountants can get away with something won't they try? We have a self regulated industry and have tried to be even handed but look at where we are at now. Look at all the games played. How many CFO's got in some serious problems? So the same general rule applies.

9. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My example spelled it out. What if for some reason I didn't have documents on me like I was going for a jog and didn't have my wallet on me. It could be a simple oops forgot. And since I can't at this point prove my citizenship what happens. they can search. Or if they were shady they could say even if I did have documentation that it was falsified so that they could search. Either way gives them probable cause.

10. targus

targus New Member

So if you were in the local vicinity of a burglary - and met the description of the suspect - and were stopped by the police for that reason - and had no identification on you... you think that without the Arizona immigration law that the police would just say "Hey, no problem. Have a good day."?

Seriously?

11. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No but they would have to go through more steps before searching and sticking me in jail. Now not so much.

12. targus

targus New Member

What steps?

13. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    They would actually have to go to get a warrent for a search from a judge based on their probable cuase which has to be well articulated. What Leo will do is attempt to search if I say no he has to get a warrent so he calls it in a person at the office has to garner the information type up a report take it before a judge who determines if there is enough to go on for a search and about 2 hours after detaining me they can search if the Judge oks it.

14. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Maybe not but when your walking the perimeter of a consentration camp it would be nice for you wave and say hi before hitting me with a batton.

15. targus

targus New Member

No. Not correct.

If a suspect meeting the description is found in the vicinity with no ID then he takes a trip to the police station.

The police do not stand around on the street for a couple of hours with a suspect while waiting for a warrant for an unidentifed person.

16. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    They do if I'm in a pickup truck. And even there they have to prove I'm illegal.

17. Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett New Member

THinking stuff, they would not have to get a search warrant to search your person. A burg is reported in a certain place and you fit the physical description of the suspect. The LEO now has reasonable suspicion and can absolutely search you, handcuff you, detain you, and have the complainant attempt to identify you as the perp or not the perp. Not trying to be argumentative, but you're incorrect.

18. Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett New Member

Again, they don't if you're in a pickup truck. Irrelevant. They can even search your truck for anything in plain view and, if you are arrested and booked, can search your truck completely without a warrant.

19. Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett New Member

Also, just be advised I am an active LEO. I know my stuff.

20. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok. I'm not a LEO. But that was the sense I was given by my friends. There is currently a due process is there not? What happens once I'm not determined to be the perp as you call it? Under arizona law and not unders arizona law? If I don't have ID will they immediately deport me?