1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Can We Help Missionary Translators?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, May 7, 2015.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here we go, a positive thread for once.

Last night we had a missionary translator at our church, working on a Tibetan translation. Before the service the missions director and his wife, the missionary family, a couple of interested grad students and my wife and I all had supper together. He is working from the Greek, but is largely self-taught, so I offered the services of my son and I as translation consultants. He humbly and gladly accepted, so we'll be corresponding.

You won't be able to help missionary translators in this way unless God has gifted you in this area (I know a couple of you are gifted in the original languages), but there are other things BB denizens can do. Any thoughts?

2. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well now, come on you who are interested in Bible translation and post here. Put your money where your mouth is! Missionary translation is "where it's at." Who needs another English translation?

So one obvious answer is prayer. Find a Bible translator on your website of choice and pray daily for them. Here are some mission agencies and Bible societies that specialize in translation. (Caveat: simply listing them here does not mean I completely agree with or support their ministries.)

WorldView Ministries: http://worldviewonline.net/

Wycliffe: https://www.wycliffe.org/

New Tribes: https://usa.ntm.org/

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Pretty much the two best things we can do is to pray for them and support them financially. If we can also befriend them and find out some practical helps for them, that would be great too. :)

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If some of us serve in leadership positions within our local assemblies, we need to monitor our missionary support efforts. Like good stewards, we need to invest in productive efforts. As JOJ pointed out, establishing frequent correspondence with members of our missionary family, which often includes translation efforts, either directly or indirectly, helps keep the whole body of Christ working together effectively.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great input. Thanks folks.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, next time you feel the urge to go out and buy another $50 leather study Bible, send the money to a Bible translating missionary instead! Or if you simply have to have that English Bible, buy the $10 hardback and send the rest. :type: