1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Did Male And Female Evolve?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Mark Osgatharp, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

In another thread Paul of Eugene made the following statement:

Now I would like for Paul, or any other daring Baptist evolutionist {talk about an oxymoron!) out there, to explain to me, specifically, how sexuality evolved. How did reproduction change from splitting cells to male and female, complete with all the equipment necessary for sexual reproduction.

No generalities please! Give the specifice mechanisms whereby sexuality evolved. Until you can do this I will consider the subject of evolution a dead horse.

Mark Osgatharp

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

This has, of course, been an enormous problem for evolutionists.

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Does this lend credence to the idea that homosexuality is genetic?

4. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

Why exactly is this a problem? If you look out into the great world that God has created for us, you can see all the steps layed out for your eyes.

The first question that must be asked is just what do you define as sexual reproduction?

Even relatively simple organisms like prokaryotes will exchange genetic information between organisms. Is this in itself sexual reproduction? Why not?

Single celled eukaryotes can reproduce by a variety of means including the same species. Sometimes they may reproduce asexually through mitosis and sometimes they may produce gametes through meosis which then combine with other gametes to sexually reproduce.

Even in higher organisms, it is not uncommon for a given species to reproduce through both asexual and sexual means.

As you go through different organisms you will see our form of reproduction come about through gradual steps. Even with organisms with distinct sexes, reproduction often takes place externally.

For an overview, you can read the following, though it is a bit dated. You will see that there are some things known and some things that are still unknown. But there is no reason to think that it is not plausible.

Kondrashov, Alexey S., 1997. Evolutionary genetics of life cycles. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 28: 391-435.

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Well according to the 3 year old boy I keep....

6. OldRegular

For the truth I recommend the Bible by God!

7. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

For the relatively dated plausibilities you might maybe could possibly consider thinking about the liklihood of the everchanging sureness of that which is so different in only eight years that the truth that it contained is no longer appropriate and a new truth which has the attribute of nearly resembling the reasonable facsimile of standing as known copnditions, then see above. Otherwise wait for the next set of published papers to finally, once and for all, settle what the truth is. You can sort of, nearly, maybe, count on it.

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

If God created man as male and female from the beginnning ("male and female created he them," Gen. 1.27), why not all creatures that have specific sexual reproductive systems of male or femail? I think that is how it was done.

9. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Just to throw another wrench into the works, human cloning would be asexual reproduction of a form would it not?

10. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Does this lend credence to the idea that homosexuality is genetic? </font>[/QUOTE]Naah. That would take other evidence.

11. Paul of Eugene

Why, of course it comes down to whether or not you accept evolution or indidual creation species by species anyway! The whole thing about "sex" is just an interesting sideline to that main question being bandied about on this forum . . .

12. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I wonder why Jesus, Peter,John,or Paul never mentioned evolution?

13. Paul of Eugene

You'll have to ask God about the exact timing, but Daniel prophesied that in the last days knowledge would increase -

14. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

I wonder why Jesus, Peter,John,or Paul never mentioned quantum mechanics?

Or general relativity?

Or plate techtonics?

Or calculus?

Or germ theory?

Or inflationary cosmology?

Or thermodynamics?

Or physical chemistry?

"For the relatively dated plausibilities you might maybe could possibly consider thinking about the liklihood of the everchanging sureness of that which is so different in only eight years that the truth that it contained is no longer appropriate and a new truth which has the attribute of nearly resembling the reasonable facsimile of standing as known copnditions, then see above."

Where did I say it was no longer appropriate? Where did I say it was no longer valid? I was just alerting the reader that I did not search exhaustively for a more recent write up. The one I provided was a few years old. I don't think much has really changed in that period.

So does anyone have a specific problem with the evolution of sex?

[ June 20, 2005, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: UTEOTW ]

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

Some christians spend so much time looking at the world and the universe without God they soon cease to see Him in His creation. God said He did the creating, so whats the problem with christians believing Him? Allow the world to dictate your beleifs and soon there no God in your beleifs.

16. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I spend time looking at the world and the universe with God and continually see Him in His creation and believe that he created as He said He did.

17. OldRegular

Amen, Sister.

18. Mercury

Mercury New Member

I do believe God did the creating.

Agreed. There's two ways to allow the world to dictate your beliefs. You can accept whatever the world says, or accept the opposite of whatever the world says. Both approaches are dangerous.

Instead, our beliefs should be premised on the foundation of all truth, Christ Jesus.

Matthew 5:43-48: "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

Here Jesus explains that while it's not enough to just do what the world does, it's also not right to do the opposite of what the world does. Jesus doesn't tell the people to hate their neighbours and love their enemies. The true standard is found by looking to Jesus, not by blindly following or blindly contradicting the world.