1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How do we define what is good and evil?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Sad day on the BB... :tear:

Skandelon was the first to propose it, and when I responded firmly, he never returned to answer my questions.

Then Benjamin picked up on it and pressed it harder, but he too fails to actually answer my questions.

Now, Webdog picks up on it because he smells blood and comes running... But he too cannot answer the question (or can he?).

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Glf...ever read 2 Cor. 4:4? While I admit it is figurative, did not the Holy Spirit inspire that usage? Benjamin is simply stating Christ defeated sin, death and the curse. You disagree with THAT? :eek:

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Amy, the very hebrew word for satan is "adversary". Do you think Is. 14:12-14 is dealing with man?!? When satan fell it was due to BEING God's adversary, wanting to dethrone Him!

4. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

1. no reason for person attacks Benjamin. Let's not resort to that.

2. There is no misuse of straw man. If one posts something about someone else that they don't believe, then it's straw man. This happens many times. So it's not a valid conclusion on our position because it's not our position.

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can see both sides of this argument but how do you treat these verses? Are not the beast and the false prophet an adversary of Christ?

Rev 19: 11 Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war.

14 And the armies in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean,[f] followed Him on white horses. 15 Now out of His mouth goes a sharp[g] sword, that with it He should strike the nations.

19 And I saw the beast, the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against Him who sat on the horse and against His army.

6. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

It may be wise to define what the term "adversary" means.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

1. Glfrederick gets a passs?

2. Strawman is deliberately twisting someones argument, then defeating that caricature. Your definition is off. See glfrederick's caricature of Benjamin's beliefs for a true example.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

People want to dethrone God too. Are people God's adversaries?

God won the battle before it ever started.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You are probably right.

10. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

I only responded to Benjamin because he was speaking to me. There has been other posts that shouldn't been posted.

True, but you know what I mean. I figured the latter part was understood.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

how else can you describe it? Instead lets put to rest this lame caricature that there are tiny gods running around the universe and believe the Bible that God is not His own adversary as the determinist would have us believe

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

so are now conceding satan is an adversary of God unlike before?

13. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Who believes on here that God is His own adversary? Any quotes on this?

14. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

As I said definitions.

I believe some were saying "adversary" as if there was a real opponent that was strong enough to win. We of course know that Satan in no way has the power that God has and can not defeat God. I believe that is what some were trying to say. They would say God has no real adversary kinda like we would say if we were in a contest against someone that could never beat us.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What are we supposed to conclude given that sin and evil are in the world...yet God has no adversaries (per glf and Amy)? What is left?

16. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Ok, so you don't have any quotes from anyone that believes God is his own adversary, yet you posted it anyway. How come you would make up something like that? There are other options on the table for what they mean without posting straw men like this. (good example of how a straw man can worth though)

17. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Of course not, but THAT is NOT what is being debated here.

What IS being debated is that there is SOME (one, thing, entity, etc.) that GOD must defeat in order to be soley God.

My point is that there is no entity that must be defeated for God to be God.

Here is the opening salvo in this issue:

I challeneged Skandelon about this other "actual adversary" for I (rightly) see that he means by that SOME ENEMY OF GOD THAT COULD ACTUALLY CHALLENGE GOD!

My response to that statement is/was as follows:

From there, Benjamin reitterated Skandelon's statement:

My statement was clear. There is NONE who can challenge God. Even Satan is shown in Scripture as having to ask God permission to act. There is NO enemy that God must defeat in order to be God. Yet, the challenge to that statement continues.

I am not arguing that God -- FOR US -- has defeated death, Satan, and hell, but none of those are actual challenges to God, Himself. To say otherwise is purely heretical and yes, I AM bringing out the H word for this argument.

Who can stand before God?

What other god is there that does not bow to God Almighty.

Whom does God have to defeat in order to be God?

Whom can ACTUALLY fight against God and have any hope of success?

The answer is NO ONE. God is sovereign -- PERIOD. There is no challenge to the God of the Bible.

So, what say you?

18. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Actually, that is PRECISELY what they are arguing FOR!

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Come on, you do know what circumstantial evidence is, don't you? When I have time and not on my tiny phone I'll go back through these 6 pages and make my case.

Ironic you didn't answer my question though :rolleyes:

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wrong. Again, this is a perfect example of a strawman. Nobody here said, alluded to, even hinted at ANYONE being able to defeat God. Learn!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.