1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you pick a good commentary

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by richard n koustas, Mar 31, 2005.

1. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

withoug spending lots of $$money$$ in the process?

there seems to be so many to chose from these days.

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

depends on what kind of commentary you are looking for. Are you looking for a devotional commentary which will take some passage within a given book and work on them; an exegetical commentary which will work verse by verse without a ton of language references; or a highly technical commentary which uses the Greek or Hebrew as the basis for its work and goes from there primarily working on grammar, theological, and language issues...

there are many to choose from in all of this

3. ituttut

ituttut New Member

One that you can buy in paper back, per book for $4:00 to $5.00 is at ttb.com (Thru The Bible Radio). It covers just about every verse in the Bible. It gets expensive but well worth it. This program is on Radio all across American and many foreign countries. His messages and writings are probably heard and read by more than any other. Radio broadcasts are in more than 30 languages, and writings I forget, but well over 100, if I am not mistaken.

Every home Library would do well to have the understanding of many scriptures explained in these books. I have a set of 5 Hard Backs that covers all, and I believe the cost is in the vicinity of $250.00. I’ve had mine for about 20 years. The Author, J. Vernon McGee has been dead for many years. This is not for you if you are looking for the intellectual approach of theology of what every one from after 100AD to the present has to say. These explanations come over a 5 year “Through The Bible” journey of where the “Rubber meets the Road”.

His style is very easy to understand, and he is not ambivalent in what he says. He can bring a smile or laugh, or show we should be on our knees, when we are not standing on the promises, for otherwise we are just sitting on the premises of God.

The books are used by some teachers of different denominations, including Baptists. He is very close to Baptist doctrine. I do not agree with all, but it helps with some when the Holy Spirits interpretation is not clear to me. I have three main sources, outside of His Word, that has made possible the Holy Spirits interpretation of His Word. Through The Bible Radio for a general understanding; The Christian Foundation for views and more insight from those people, and for understanding about the fallacy of Christmas, and Easter. Then lastly, for correctly dividing His Word, I was shown the Berean Bible Society. I find these three helps make a composite for understanding His Word to its fullest.

If it is His will, when it is time, He will guide you to information He wants you to have for helping to understand His Word. You get some good advice here, and it is not all from me, and some will so none. I am fairly new here also, but have been a Christian for many years. When I got down to business of really wanting to know and be able to explain His Word to others, as well as myself, He got busy with me. It took close to 30 years to plainly see His will. I used to give to and follow one great world evangelist, but saw (almost 30 years ago) something was not right. I now see where this famous one is not sure if he is worthy, or righteous enough. We are to know and understand whether Christ Jesus is worthy enough or not. Christian faith, ituttut Galatians 1:11-12.

4. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Thump it. If it sounds hollow it's good.

5. ituttut

ituttut New Member

But open it up, and we can then eat it up, and even drink the juice for it is ripe for the picking.

Hello James. See you are waiting for watermelon season too. That and Lone Star Park may keep you out of trouble until the Dallas Cowboys move in. Christian faith, ituttut

6. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Most ARE hollow!

Stick with your Bible and let the Holy Spirit be your commentator. Submit, trust and obey. You can't go wrong.

In HIS service;
    Jim

7. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

But open it up, and we can then eat it up, and even drink the juice for it is ripe for the picking.

Hello James. See you are waiting for watermelon season too. That and Lone Star Park may keep you out of trouble until the Dallas Cowboys move in. Christian faith, ituttut
    </font>[/QUOTE]You won't catch me hanging out at the races or watching the Cowboys this season. But I love me a good watermelon. [​IMG]

8. JohnB

JohnB New Member

Devotional commentaries:
    Warren Wiersbe's "Be.." series.
    McGee's "Through the Bible"
    MacDonald's "Believer's Bible Commentary"

Exegetical:
    By far the best is the Expositor's Bible Commentary series. (on CD, the whole set of OT & NT is $80)
    Wycliffe Bible Commentary (good one volume.)

To save money, you can get almost any commentary series in software format at www.rejoicesoftware.com. I have ordered from them numerous times. They are fantastic and run sales often. I got the complete works of McGee for $15.

9. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

I agree with av1611jim, most are hollow...
    Protestant leaning...
    Catholic church history leaning...
    Bible correcting...
    Worthless!

Don't waste your money...get Matthew Henry's or Wesley's for free on-line...if you must have them.

Get yourself a good Bible program...some language helps...always give the word of God the Benefit of the doubt...and utilize the greatest commentary around, the Holy Spirit!

Just my thoughts,
    Max

10. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

This might help you:

http://www.studylight.org/com/

I would encourage you to read a variety of commentaries. Despite what some say, I believe it is benefical to learn from and build on the works of those before us.
    Believe me you can tell the difference between a preacher who reads the commentaries along with personal Bible study and one who relies on just his own interpretation.

You are a Pastor correct? What is the difference in listening to you give your "commentary" every Sunday morning or reading John Gill or John Lightfoot commentaries? You feel you are "led by the Spirit" and they were not?

11. NateT

NateT Member

Pick up a book by DA Carson entitled "New Testament Commentary Survey." I bought it yesterday at lifeway for 7.83. It covers 1 volume sets, as well as individual books. He describes what he considers the best one or two on a particular book and why they're the best. He'll then describe some of the other leading ones and tell you where they're lacking. He seems to say also if it is a techinical(languages required) or not. I've enjoyed it as a reference the one day I've had it [​IMG]

12. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

I guess if we shouldn't rely on the writings of spirit-led men, we shouldn't rely on their sermons either.

[​IMG]

I really like the MacArthur series.
    Pricey, but they cover historical background and customs, which the Bible really doesn't explain at every juncture.

MacArthur uses the Greek very well also.

MR

13. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

Rather hypocritical isn't it? I guess if their sermons are in audio form they're OK, but if they are written then they are hollow and useless.

14. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

I have a HUGE personal library that is spread all over two houses. Naturally its going to depend on what you are looking for... Devotional, exegetical, practical?

Thru The Bible, my opinion, now, is the one I would pick if i could only have ONE. McGee is not afraid to tackle the tough verses and he does give much more than a sentence or two on the passage being discussed. Great commentary, my first pick.
    I am a little hesitant with large commentary sets and prefer to pick them on an individual book-by-book basis if I can.
    WHY? because writers have their strong points and weak points. MacArthur is geared for the Gospels and someone like Lahaye would be better than MacArthur for Revelation.
    So, go for McGee first.

15. richard n koustas

I'm not sure what i'm looking for.

I have MacDonald's believer commentary and i like it a lot...

Commentators I like the best are: HA Ironside, CH Mackintosh, Authors i like: Ada Halbershon, and C Mueller (sp?).

Recently a sunday school teacher told us not to trust commentaries that are over 20 years old, i disagreed...Bill MacDonald is the only on I like that's still alive. btw have any of you read his book: Joseph Makes Me Think of Jesus ?

16. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

My favorite series of commentaries on the Bible for serious study is the International Critical Commentary, but it is not cheap. The commentary on Ephesians in that series by C. K. Barrett retails for $150.00. The commentary on Revelation in that series by R. H. Charles retails for $130.00. However, each commentary in that series provides a substantial amount of data that can serve as a good foundation upon which to begin a personal study of one’s own, and better prices on these commentaries can be found on the Internet.

[​IMG]

17. mioque

mioque New Member

"they cover historical background and customs, which the Bible really doesn't explain at every juncture."
    "
    Because this part of Mountainrun's statement needs to be repeated. [​IMG]

18. richard n koustas

What triggered my OP: I was reading an artile in Uplook Magazine

What I really like is when a commentator looks for and finds Jesus in OT types, psalms and prophecies.

19. Dave G.

Dave G. New Member

A worthwhile starting point for commentary recommendations is www.tms.edu/850.asp. It's "850 Books for Biblical Expositors", compiled by James Rosscup of The Master's Seminary. Not infallible, but some truly excellent suggestions.

20. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

I take the opposite view.