1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you support students?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Christianbsw, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Christianbsw

Christianbsw New Member

Good evening. I would like to know how individual churches are encouraging and showing to support to ALL students in their membership. What action steps do you take? I mean in addition to the "Baptist Ministry" on campus.

2. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

One thing that Home BC does is via the Youth/Singles Dept.
    What they do is to contact their friends/parents of friends and ask for permission to post their campus POB address, along w/ birthdays, etc. Anything that the individual cares to release (w/in the realm of discretion and after several "filtering" processes).

This then is occasionally posted on a website (user login & password required) wherein those that subscribe to that website can e-mail/snail mail cards or whatever.

This has to be kept w/in the realm of propriety in these times, and all contributors must acknowledge in writing that they've been advised of such.

However, it's one way that we do it.

3. Christianbsw

Christianbsw New Member

Thank you. That is nice that people will send cards and such. I am particularly concerned about the condition of young people who's time has come to move from home. We rarely do work to transition most young people toward this end. Some are fortunate enough to go abroad for a semester in high school. Some may go on a summer time trip to someone's home. However, most are not away from "home" for more than a week before graduating. This is particularly of low-income families. Moving out can be exciting and scary at the same time. Some believe that they are fully prepared and really are not. Others feel totally unprepared and yet are. In order to help the parents and student to transition, it would be nice if churches would step in and offer support so they don't feel alone, yet don't feel smothered by parents, either. I am speaking from the perspective of the over 40 that I am and having gone through this over 20 years ago.
    What other things are done for students by the Church?