1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How does the holy spirit pray for us?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by plain_n_simple, May 14, 2013.

1. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So Christians don't ever have to speak in tongues, correct?

2. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No....

....they don't have to speak in tongues....and anyone who says they do does not understand the gifts. God gives gifts accordingly, and like his gift of salvation, we have total free will to first and foremost come to Him to be saved....and that free will continues in the giving and receiving of ANY of the gifts. Not all are called to be pastors, or evangelists, of singers, or hostesses, of deacons, or ushers, of teachers, of prayer warriors, or street evangelists, or, on and on and on! You get the idea.

The calling and giving of anything God does in the life of a believer is completely up to the person. Not all have the faith and stamina and capabilities needed to pastor or lead a congregation.

I, for one, have a difficult time doing street evangelism. I've been forced by churches to do so, but never felt comfortable out there.

However, I could go to Skid Row and preach and sing, and minister as a pastor to a group. Yet there are many who could never do that ministry because of the poverty and filth down there as well as the smell of alcohol, and use of drugs and foul language.

Another area of have a difficult time with is being a dedicated pray warrior. And going to another country, especially a third world country as a missionary is totally above and beyond my pay-grade!

What I'm trying to say is simply this. regardless of it being a gift or a calling, not all of us will have a corner on everything God has to offer in order to get His work done here on earth. It takes a village to reach a lost world, and in that world is a million different talents, all working for the same cause and purpose: To share Jesus in order to help as many as possible from going to hell!

So, one more time. NO YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE THE GIFT OF TONGUES, a prayer language, the gift and Faith to lay hands on others for healing or prophetic purpose. Not all are going to accept the gifts as well as being available to receive the gifts and know how to use them for the purpose of edifying and lifting up the church as well as Jesus!

Great question, and I hope I answered it with precision! :thumbs:

3. awaken

awaken Active Member

Good question! We are not all called to the same death as they were either!
    Every ones calling is different! But what Mark 16 says for all believers... I do walk in!

4. awaken

awaken Active Member

Yes! You are correct! I have said that many times! You can be a christian and do not have to speak in tongues!

Tongues or any of the manfestations do not make you any more saved than the ones that do not!

I was a child of God for many years before I embraced the truth concerning the manifestations! Mostly because I was taught unbelief concerning this! You have to have faith to please God...to walk out anything he says you can!
    If christians are in unbelief concerning any part of the Bible (inclucing tongues) they will never experience it!

5. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

It is Charismatics who are in unbelief about what the Bible says concerning tongues, as has been clearly shown on this forum. They want to make the Bible affirm a HS baptism apart from conversion; it does not. They want to make Bible support that the initial evidence of this false baptism is tongues; it does not. They want to make the Bible affirm a private prayer language; it does not. The only way Charismatics can seem to make the Bible affirm their erroneous doctrines is to completely ignore context.

The result: Charismatics want believers to seek that which they already have, the baptism in the Holy Spirit; to seek and practice that which the Bible doesn't teach, a private prayer language.

False premises bring about false doctrines which are backed up by false experiences. So, the end result is a false Gospel, not a "full gospel".

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you do handle Cobras, and do drink battery acid for a drink?

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, now you've said something confusing. You started off saying that Christians don't have to speak in tongues; but you ended by saying that if they don't, they don't have faith.

Can they have faith--in all the scripture and all the scripture promises--without "experiencing" speaking in tongues or any of the other gifts?

8. awaken

awaken Active Member

No, you have yet to prove that tongues is NOT speaking to God/praying in the spirit/ blessing in the spirit! You twist the scriptures to fit your unbelief!

9. awaken

awaken Active Member

Foolishness! I will not answer such foolishness! The scriptures do not tell you to tempt God!

10. awaken

awaken Active Member

If you do not believe in Christ, can you be saved?
    If you do not believe in tongues will you ever speak in tongues?

I did not speak in tongues because of my unbelief in what the scriptures say! I was taught unbelief!

Faith comes by hearing truth/Bible...and believing that truth/Bible....and walking in that truth/Bible!

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the Bible states that Tongues, and ALL the gifts were given as the HS willed it, as he decided who got what gift, so who decides again to speak in tongues?

How can it be unbelief, if its based yupon the HS Himself to decide who got what gifts?

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You claim mark 16 is for the charasmatics, so prove it by doing what they were said able to do there!

13. Matt22:37-39

Matt22:37-39 New Member

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First you said that we could be saved but not speak in tongues; but now you've said that if we don't believe in tongues, that's like not believing in Christ. You've put speaking in tongues on the same level as salvation.

What about those of us that believe we have the truth; we believe the Bible; and we believe it does NOT encourage or promote speaking in tongues?

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    She holds that we operate in unbelief, yet even IF she was true regarding what she states, doesn't the bible state that NOT all speak in tongues, do they?

17. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

"Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.". Romans 8:26

Many charismatics have used Romans 8:26 as a proof text for tongues, but all Romans 8:26 proves is that the Holy Spirit intervenes in prayer, it says nothing of tongues and in fact, what they miss is that what the Spirit is doing CAN NOT BE UTTERED. Since tongues is an utterance, then Romans 8:26 is just one verse that proves that tongues is not a prayer language.

Furthermore, the "glossolalia" in 1 Cor 14 itself means "foreign language" not heavenly language:

"Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
    Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God." Acts 2:6-11

The tongues were recognizable foreign languages.

One of the last things Jesus said to His disciples was Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. The resurrection of Christ was fresh news and needed to be broadcast without delay. Problem is how do you do that since everyone speaks different languages and it often takes years to learn a different language. God altered their language, problem solved.

In Babel, God divided their language so they could not work together to conspire against Him. Gen 11:7. In the church, God united their languages so that the gospel could be given in languages that the hearers knew and understood.

Thus, tongues is not and has never been a "prayer language".

18. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

And yes, tongues is an "utterance". Everything that Paul mentioned in 1 Corinthians 14 to criticize the church's use of tongues bears that:

"Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?" v6

"And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped?" v7

"So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air." v9

19. awaken

awaken Active Member

Do you think you will manifsest what you do not believe?

20. awaken

awaken Active Member

Again! I will not answer such foolishness as you request!