1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How far back can we trace Baptist history?

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Bro.Bill, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like Jim's view .. if we belive the baptist way is the biblical way stands to reason God will preserve the right ..

And history alone isn't enough, each church need to be compared with scripture NOW to maintain its position as a church.

Regards
    Bob

2. dean198

dean198 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a few you might find helpful. Note none of them are Baptist:

http://maranathamedia.com.au/Download/Books/

Contains Schaff's works in pdf download, Bedes work, Hutton's Moravian history, The History of Protestantism by Wylie, The Papacy and The History of the Waldenses by Wylie, Isaac Newton's Commentary on Revelation, and Romanism and the Reformation by Guiness.

http://www.christianhospitality.org/archives.htm

This one has a ton of stuff, including pdf Greek and Hebrew bibles, the complete collection of the Church Fathers in pdf, a large number of Reformation, Baptist and Waldensian histories, and the original 8 volumes of John Foxe. Also contains lots of theological works from Calvin to Wesley.

http://www.homecomers.org/mirror/contents.htm
    Martyrs Mirror

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/thailand/PC-B-001.HTM
    Contains about half of the book, Pilgrim Church.

http://reformerkev.esmartweb.com/library/libraryhistory.html
    This one is excellent.

I might post some more in a day or two. Let me see what I can find.

Dean

3. rufus

rufus New Member

Jim 1999 said:
    Good question! The New Testament DOES CLEARLY teach the principles, et.al. that we hold dearly!

4. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How far back can we trace Baptist history?

The short answer: to the shores of Galilee circa: A.D. 30.
    Some history paradigms:
    1. All human history is biased since all humans are depraved.
    2. Much(not all) of the history of the true churches(assemblies built upon The Solid Rock) has been corrupted or destroyed by the Wicked One.
    3. The only infallible source of history is the Holy Writ.
    4. There is not nor ever has been an entity called The Baptist Church. There are dozens of groups that are called Baptists. They all have diverse doctrines (including history).
    5. One cannot trace the history of the true churches(assemblies) by name. However, one can find them in the groups called "heretics." This does not mean that all heretical groups represent true churches.
    5. The real question should be: How far back can we trace TRUE BAPTISTIC FAITH AND PRACTICE? Part of the answer to this question is found in the annals of human history-- it is usually written in blood.
    6. The only impartial answer in found in the Word of God.

A short(?) exposition:
    The English word "church" has lost the true meaning of the original Greek word: "ecclesia." This word has always meant: assembly (lawful or otherwise). Many English speaking people think of a building. In the religious world, Christians (so-called) think of a universal visible body(the largest of this group is run by the "Holy See" with their Head: The Pa Pa, who claims to be the Vicar of Christ. Another large group, which was basically started by dissenters(defrocked priests) of the aforementioned group, believe the Church to be universal and invisible.
    There is a sizeable group, historically anyway, which believe the Church to be local and visible--period--end of definition.

What did Jesus say regarding Church? Ref: The Book of Matthew, Chapter 16, Verse 18: Upon this Rock I will build my Assembly(Church) and the gates of Hell will not prevail against her."
    This scripture is pivotal to the understanding of the True Church and Her(the Bride of Christ, the Wife of the Lamb of God)history.(This is really not a parenthetical concept: all present and past churches were started by a man (Constantine, Luther, Calvin, Joseph Smith, Alexander Campbell), etal; (or woman i.e. Mary Baker Glover Patterson Eddy). Save one: the one started by The Lord Jesus Christ; the one without spot, blemish or any such thing.
    The so-called Holy See is built on this verse of Scripture. Apostolic succession stands or falls on this scripture. If the Holy See is correct, all others are without authority(see Mt. 16:19. If the Holy See is wrong, then they and all of their children are without authority. How about this for a historical data point: 99% of Christendom, past, present and future is without proper authority!
    (How many survived the Flood of Noah?) (another bit of historical conjecture--for some any) The Flood really happened, brethren, just like The Book says. Only 8 people out of millions "had it right with God".

Let us stop for a moment and return later---

SELAH or: (pause and prayerfully consider what has just been said).

Bro. James

5. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How far back...

Where were we? Tracing Baptist(ic) Church History to the founder and the location. In this case the "who" and "when" is more important historically than the "where."
    We established that Jesus, the Christ, the Son of the Living God, Immanuel, the I AM, during His personal ministry, was building His Church and that the Gates of Hell will not prevail.(Satan cannot win and he knows it; but he certainly has been trying.)
    Another scripture which sheds light on this discussion is: Mt.28:18-20, Jesus said:"ALL POWER (AUTHORITY) IS GIVEN ME IN HEAVEN AND IN EARTH. GO YE THEREFORE AND TEACH ALL NATIONS, BAPTIZING...LO I AM WITH YOU ALWAYS EVEN UNTO THE END OF THE WORLD. Conclusion: if Jesus said He would be with His Church through the onslaughts of hell, He was. If He said He would be with Her until the end of this world--He is still here. This makes Joseph Smith a false prophet. It also means the True Bride predated the Councils of Nicea, Trent, etal, as well as all inquisitions, reformations and Vatican II. She also survived the "Dark Ages," most of the account of which has been destroyed by fire; and the Saints were put to the death with fire, sword and flood. There was a remnant--as the Lord promised--and they passed on to the next generation: "The Faith once for all delivered to the Saints", Book of Jude--that Faith for which we are to be earnestly contending. This trail of blood is authentic corroboration of the Truth of the Word, not that secular history is needed. God said it, that settles it. Whether we believe it or not does not change the verity. Warning we will be held accountable for this truth wherher we believe it or not. Want a secular history? See A HISTORY OF THE CHURCHES OF THE VALLEYS OF PIEDMONT, by Samuel Morland. He has some interesting accounts through the eyes of a historian--whatever his bias may have been.

Time to worship,

SELAH,

Bro. James

6. R. Charles Blair

R. Charles Blair New Member

Re Mosheim: Vol. I comes through the 15th Century (I don't have Vol. II at hand.)

Davis, "History of the Welsh Baptists," is in re-print from an excellent source: Church History Research & Archives, 220 Graystone Dr., Gallatin TN 37066, phone 615) 452-7027. I don't get any commission on their material!

Re Morland: All of us have some bias; the best we can achieve historically is a balance of biases, I believe. Best to all - Charles - Ro. 8:28