1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How many of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit still operate today?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Yeshua1, Dec 17, 2016.

1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am, strictly speaking a cessationist — in lands where the Gospel has been preached in its fullness. I am open to arguments that the gifts are being practiced in areas that are new fields to the Gospel and the miraculous workings of the Holy Spirit are signs to the population. Of course, just as is evident in the New Testament, such signs can be counterfeited.

As a teenager I attended some services in Pentecostal churches that purported to speak in tongues; I found instead that the "tongues" were practiced in contravention to Paul's teaching or were hysterical utterances induced by the minister. To be fair, I believe that extended "altar calls' in Baptist meetings played upon the same emotionalism that is found in Pentecostalism, without the speaking in tongues.

The Holy Spirit is free to move as He wills, but we must always practice discernment and realize that our response must be an act of the mind "our reasonable worship," as well as our emotions, which are unreliable gauges of the truth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I quite understand your unwillingness. especially in the light of verses like Psalm 78:41 and Psalm 115:3, but on a practical level I think it is quite dangerous. How does one deal with charlatans and false prophets or help those who are caught up in some of the dangerous nonsense that comes out of many charismatic churches?

I have in front of me what purports to be an open letter from God to the people of Britain dated February of this year, and telling Britons to vote to leave the E.U. It is written in the first Person as if God were speaking, but in fact it is written by some fellow called David Noakes who is claiming to be giving me God's very words. On what basis do I reject this document if I think that such prophecy may perhaps be genuine? It was given to me by someone whom I would have tended to regard as a reasonably steady sort of fellow. How can I counsel him if I think there is any real chance that this Noakes fellow may have been given this 'prophecy' by God?

If I think 'tongues'-speaking may be for today, then clearly Paul wishes me to practise it (1 Cor. 14:5) so perhaps I ought to be trying to speak that way. If I try, there is a real possibility that I shall discover the knack of speaking fluent gobbledegook.

For me, the only sensible course is to search the Scriptures and see that Apostles and prophets were given for the foundation of the Church (Ephesians 2:20). How many foundations does a building have? Just the one. When is the foundation built? Right at the start, and never again.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello Brother, As always I am grateful for your perspective.

The disagreement that I have had on this thread is mostly one of interpretation. I disagree that 1 Corinthians 13 dogmatically evidences that sign gifts are nonexistent today. Instead I have offered a different interpretation (one I believe the natural reading and meaning of the passage). Of those who agree with my position, some (John Gill) also believe that these gifts have ceased. Others (John Piper) do not. I am not sure where Joel Beeke and D.A. Carson stand on the continuation of these things, but it was their words that I used to represent my view. So on that part, I was not arguing for the continuation of tongues but against what I saw (and still see) as forced interpretation of Paul.

While I believe that these gifts may still be given today, I also share your concerns over the charlatans and false prophets that seem to have led many astray in churches today. I do not know the environment in which you find yourself, but I often see otherwise faithful believers looking to these types of people for “Christian” guidance. To answer your question, I do believe that this is one role of a local church. My concern is that as a whole (speaking from my experience and not as an indictment against any particular local church) modern Christianity has let slip the doctrinal bounds that once secured sound teachings. We are called to discernment, but so often this command is usurped by some sense of toleration and freedom of religious thought within the local church itself. There is a sense by where we have liberty, but there is also a sense by which the church, as the local expression of the Body of Christ, weighs carefully what is taught within its area of responsibility.

My answer as to how we deal with that type of dangerous nonsense is by discernment through the local church. Since I do not believe there is enough evidence to denounce the existence of these gifts today, I think we look at individual instances where these gifts are said to have been exercised and determine if that is indeed the case.

I understand the gift of tongues to be as a sign of God’s presence with His people. I do not believe “tongues” to be unintelligible utterances (although perhaps unintelligible to the speaker) but actual languages that the unbeliever would understand. Of all the instances where I have heard this “gift” exercised (only on video or audio), I have never been exposed to one that met the biblical criteria.

I understand the gift of prophesy as proclaiming what has already been revealed, not an announcement of a new or special revelation. This is how I understand Paul’s command to allow those who would prophesy to speak while others pass judgment. If what is declared is not Scripture then it is not prophesy. I believe the gift of prophesy is, as Grudem puts it, the work of the Spirit (supernaturally) spontaneously bringing to mind truths of God’s revelation. We have the benefit of testing these things against Scripture.

So I believe that these sign gifts were never given to the local church in order to introduce new revelations apart from what has been given by the apostles and prophets. Paul leaned not on the exercise of sign gifts to validate the authority of his words, but on the gift of apostleship. Tongues may have evidenced to the unbeliever God’s presence, and he was certainly given the gift of prophesy, but this was not enough to introduce doctrine into the church. His “badge” here was Christ and his calling as an apostle.

To summarize my position, you could say that I agree very much with TCassidy on the nature of these things. The exception is in application. Where some may apply this to a “Universal/Invisible Church” or a dispensation, I believe that it can be applied to the local churches and the environment in which they exist. The fact that Scripture exists and that local churches are functioning as the Body of Christ may be of no immediate consequence to peoples isolated from their influence. It is in this context that I believe God may, at His liberty, gift those “sign gifts” of which Paul spoke.

I apologize for the length of this post, but for clarity's sake I covered the ground I thought necessary. There seems to always be (at least) two accusations of me – either I am vague and unclear or I am rambling on without meaning (akin to the modern notion of “tongues”, I suppose). I pray neither is the case here, but suspect both flaws may be evident and would appreciate any correction or feedback you may offer.

4. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not arguing for or against cessationism...but I just want to say I live in the same land as you and the Gospel has not been preached to the fullest. Hardly anyone I speak with knows the Gospel. Maybe 1 in 10.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We still hold that there are non sign gifts are in operation though, correct? We still have teachers, givers, encoragres, those with great faith etc?

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say that while te sign gift such as Tongues, Healing, Givng a prophesy ceased, we still have teachers, givers, administartors etc in churches!

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see that thee sign gifts no longer operate, but are you saying that we need none gifted to teach/give/have faith etc?

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of them, when needed.

And just so there's no confusion, the Pentecostals and Charismaniacs have it all wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why wouldn't the Lord still use them in areas that have not heard of Jesus yet? I DO hold that fomost sistuations sign gifts have ceased, but wht about on mission fields?

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about non reveltion non sig gifts, such s taching, leading, giving etc?

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is where I am on the topic. I cannot denounce what I don't see Scripture as denouncing. Are these things going on (legitimately) somewhere in the world? My answer is "I don't know".

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's debatable, if you look at the passages where "gifts" are spoken of i.e. 1 Corinthians 12 and Ephesians 4 (although these are not "gifts" per se).

Ephesians 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

1 Corinthians 12
    4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
    5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
    6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
    7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
    8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
    9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
    10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

Many of these "spiritual gifts" are typified by tongues, interpretations thereof and other characteristics of "sign" gifts. So most of these - IMO no.

Apostles (obviously not a "gift" anymore) evangelists, pastors, teachers are the debatable types. I believe these individuals are perhaps predisposed by God to these offices and functions rather than a specialty "gift" such as the Catholic Church teaching of "The Call" in which one will pine away and be miserable until the "gift" or "call" is answered.

Predisposed - meaning it is His will for you to go to China. This is different for each of us and is the answer to prayer and seeking His will rather than a "gift".

Some others like "discernment" are simply those characteristics of a spiritually mature person.

HankD

13. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you think "apostles" not given to the church anymore? I understand those persons to be those who carry the gospel to places where it is unknown or not well known. Those persons are also called "missionaries."

On what basis do people make the claim that there are no more apostles?

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Missionaries are not apostles.

I personally come to that conclusion that no one today saw Jesus in the flesh baptized by John the Baptist
    and was an eye-witness to the resurrection. This was the criteria for Judas' replacement.

Acts 1:22 Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.

Yes, the apostle Paul was an exception specially chosen by the Lord.

Acts 9
    15 But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:
    16 For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake.

HankD

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We claim that there are no more Apostles in the sense of getting revelation frm God as NT ones did, as one of the requirenments for a NT Apostle have seen risen Christ, and get commissiond by Him!

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The text staes that the Lod confirmed Jesus and Gospel by signs and wonders, but ceased that once esablished, so that coul be norm fotoday... In a Muslim Nation, grants visions/dreams for example, andthen go to Bible only once established in area!

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't see any with gift to do miracles/healings today, do you? God can still do that, butnone gifted to do such!

Neither are tere modern Apotles/Prophets giving new revelation now!

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me, comes back to their purpose in Acts, to witness/conform Jesus, and to give guidane to church, but we now the canon and Spirit for that!

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree totally!

20. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, that was the basis for the selection for one of the Twelve, not merely an apostle.

If you count Paul as an exception, why can't there be more exceptions?

Of course, Paul was not really an exception. Your theology has mixed apostleship with the Twelve that walked with Jesus (among a number of other men and women that walked with Jesus) that symbolized the 12 tribes with God.