1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How many rooms does your Church have?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by UnchartedSpirit, Jun 11, 2007.

?
  1. 1

8.7%
  2. >/= 10

8.7%
  3. >/= 20

30.4%
  4. >/=30

8.7%
  5. >/=40

13.0%
  6. >/=50

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. More than 50...

30.4%
  1. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

I used to love wandering through Churches I visited when I was younger. I thought that I should have access to everything back then! Plus, Churches can be so roomy! Almost like going into a city college building or something!

(counting rooms in more than one building of your church is ok, I don't think it would mess up any of the data)

#1 UnchartedSpirit, Jun 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  2. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm guessing more than 50. I included all of the buildings on campus, not just the sanctuary -- the youth building, the day school and the seminary. Hope that's OK.

I love going thru churches too. Sometimes just walking thru the place will give you a feel of the church, its ministries, etc.

3. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

wow my church is very poor....there are two distinct rooms....the church proper and the vestry.

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I could count them, but the building has multiple sections and I think I'd lose count.

5. UnchartedSpirit

um, maybe if we excluded the bathrooms....

6. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Not including restrooms and counting the rooms will dividers as one...i would say about 20.

7. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

I'm guessing we have about 10 - 15 between the 2 buildings. We are actually about to start construction on a new 5,200 sq. ft. educational building in a couple of weeks. We are sooooo excited!

8. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

What constitutes a "room"?

We have 2 buildings. One is the sanctuary and the other is the kitchen/dining room. On the back of the kitchen, there is a storage "room". Behind the pulpit, there is the baptistry "room".

That is besides the 4 bathrooms.

9. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

And then do we count all the little cubicles around assembly rooms, the sure sign of a church educational building that was built back in the day when all the kids went to "opening assembly" and then broke up into their little classes. I cannot tell you how many such rooms we have -- with six or eight little spaces off the main space -- and the same thing multiplied over and over. It is not hard to find more than 50 rooms in even modest-sized churches built that way.

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

When I was a baby, our church had four distinct rooms. Two closets, a small entrance hall, and the auditorium. The auditorium was heated by two large stoves, in the winter, and 'cooled' by opening the windows in the summer, if we had a breeze. Oh yeah, and a path to an outbuilding with two sections, a coalhouse and an outdoor bathroom.

After remodeling, in the early fifties, we were down to three 'rooms', a miniature closet, an entry, but with some nine nooks, that served as Sunday School rooms.

Many years later, the auditorium is still just three spaces, but the nooks are gone to become part of the main auditorium.

However we have added an educational building, and another addition to it and now have "indoor plumbing" and I have no idea how many rooms, with a third addition under construction that will serve as a "Family Life Center", with a spare gym/auditorium, supposedly, but I expect it to be in full time use shortly, for an auditorium, as we are close to maxing out in terms of seating, today. The auditorium we use was actually built in 1850, so has served us for a century and a half with three or four incarnations of the seating, and ws originally a "two-door" church, in the style of the old 'Shaker model' with mens and ladies entrances.

I would guess that we soon will be at or near 100 rooms, but I have never bothered to count.

You might read a bit about us, and maybe about our 225 year history, as the third oldest Baptist church, "West of the Alleghenies", serving the Lord since 1782, at this link.

http://www.forksbaptist.com/templates/System/default.asp?id=34283

And I was privileged to be elected as the Church Moderator (and I have been the de-facto historian for some time, since the passing to glory of the real ones), for the 226th year, last month.

Ed

#10 EdSutton, Jun 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2007
  11. UnchartedSpirit

Not so... even in my city...

12. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've only been attending my church for about a year.
    How many rooms, I have no idea!

Not that we are so big but the site was a historic farm and we have quite a few old buildings.

Let me try to number the buildings:
    There's our Plantation church office which was built in the 1700's,

There's a cold house next to it with stairs down to an underground storage area.

The new sanctuary which is connected to the old garage, a old barn and a few Sunday school rooms.

then there's the old Mill house (currently the youth building), complete with a pond with running water (the workings have long ago rusted shut and rotted)

Then there's three private residences,

the storage barn, with tractors, trucks and a few cannons (don't ask :laugh: ),

And of course what church would be complete without a blacksmith shed.

Rob

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm going to have to really work this through:

Sanctuary, 2 lobbies, kitchen, new lobby, meeting room, parlor, nursing room, bookstore - 9

Nursery level - 7

Fellowship Hall level - 5

Gym level - 5

Nursery School - 3

Office level - 13

New office level (same level as office but new space) - atleast 12

Wow! That's 56 - I didn't think we had more than 50! Interesting! LOL!

ETA - I totally forgot backstage! That's 4 more so that makes 60!

#13 annsni, Jun 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2007
  14. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I really have no idea.

Our church was built, parts torn down and rebuilt, added to, remodeled and new, old building bought and remodeled but not connected. :laugh:

It took me four years to learn my way around the "main building". The main building consists of the "new sanctuary" (built on the site of the old one), the "old" Sunday school building that was fused to the new sanctuary, the fellowship hall and the family life center (complete with a gym). Because of the way the new sanctuary was added you can't access all the parts of the 3rd floor from the 3rd floor! You have to go down to the second floor and go up a different staircase. All the pieces of the "main" building are connected by hallways and interconnecting classrooms line the halls. Ya'll confused yet? :laugh:

Then there is the "annex". It used to be the old county health department. The annex used to contain SS classrooms for the youth (7th-12th). But then we bought the old funeral home on the block to the side of us and remodeled it into a "Student Center" and moved all the youth classrooms down there. They even have their own chapel. I never needed to go into the annex so I have no clue about how much space was there. Haven't needed to into the student center either.

The building committee might know how many rooms we have............

15. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea. I have never counted them or asked anyone how many we have.

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have pastored a LARGE church (think: Christian School and all that entails) but presently in a home church. So "one". :thumbs:

We meet in a large room (seats 70 without crowding). We often "spread" to pray, study, EAT, fellowship.

17. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

I answered 20 since that about what the main church in city has. But now it came to me that we have also smaller church buildings in villages outside town.

18. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

bump .......................................