1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How much grape juice is too much grape juice?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Jun 21, 2007.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

If a cluster of grapes falls to the ground in a vineyard, and no one is there to hear it...

...does it still intoxicate the Deacon?

My apologies who expected any rational posts. I'm fresh out.

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I needed a good laugh.
    Also since I posted this thread, I didn't mean for it to be all that serious.
    I meant it to show the absurdity of the statement made in another post.

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

HA! well we have a 50-50 chance most all the time on the rationality circuit with most all the posters don't we?

4. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While reading comments from these last several debates about alcohol, it occurred to me that alot of people don't really know how the alcohol gets into beer or wine.

Basically, alcohol is nothing more than a byproduct that yeast cells make when they eat sugar. Some posters act like it's a highly complex evil process, while others act like it's completely natural. I think the answer is that it's natural, but there is work involved to control things or else the end result will wildly vary.

But yes, yeast eats the sugars in the grape juice and that produces alcohol and CO2, but the CO2 floats off and the alcohol stays. Very simple. But, to get a consistent, silky, safe, interesting, and flavorful finished product, it requires some human work, but I'd hardly call it evil. The yeast is what is doing most all of the work. That's what they were born to do... eat sugar, make alcohol.

5. npetreley

npetreley New Member

That's right. That's why it's incorrect to say it's not natural. It is very natural.

6. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Therefore:
    If alcohol is the waste product of yeast when it eats sugar.....
    Then:
    Alcohol is yeast feces or urine.

Hmmmmmmm:rolleyes:

Yep. Sounds like good wholesome stuff to me!:laugh:

7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

LOL! It's not feces or urine, it's a chemical by-product. Regardless, given the choice between consuming yeast-filled grape juice (which can lead to a yeast infection) or yeast-free wine, I'll take the latter. Remember, grape juice of today is not the grape juice of yesteryear. They didn't start pasteurizing it until the latter half of the 1800s. Then again, wine of today isn't anything like wine of NT times. It had to have far less alcohol in it then because they drank so much of it. That's why they had so many parts water mixed with the wine.

8. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. "Waste" products are of no use to the organism, but they are not the same as human wastes.

By that logic, you should stay away from all kinds of foods, including cheese, bread, yogurt, etc.

9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

True.

I really think the grape-juicers should live like they believe the the NT folks lived and drink nothing but stagnant water and fresh squeezed grape juice without refrigeration. In fact, go the whole 9 yards and make grape syrup and mix it with the stagnant water. I think that would be a very educational exercise.

10. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Drank nothing but stagnant water? Surely you jest. Why could they not squeeze the grapes fresh? Is it absurd? No. Is it in the bible? Yes.

Genesis 40:11
    11 And Pharaoh's cup was in my hand: and I took the grapes, and pressed them into Pharaoh's cup, and I gave the cup into Pharaoh's hand.

Thats a cup of new wine.

11. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

So, mead would be yeast feces from consuming bee barf.

Sounds evil.

Oh, wait, the Bible says that honey's OK. Right? I hope so.

12. npetreley

npetreley New Member

It is a dream. Do you normally get your facts about grape juice from a dream? Just because the words are in the Bible doesn't mean you get to take them completely out of context and call it the "truth". In the same dream the blossoms became ripe grapes instantly. Does that mean that's how grapes grow?

Either grape-juicers have no integrity whatsoever, or they just regurgitate grape-juice propaganda they read or hear from others who have no integrity. I can't imagine any sincere Bible believer would intentionally misrepresent something from a dream as factual evidence.

#72 npetreley, Jun 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2007
  13. npetreley

npetreley New Member

One of my favorite drinks is tea and bee barf with goat's milk.

14. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's what people don't realize. Not all alcoholic drinks in the past were as strong as what people think of today, even though alcohol was in fact present. For example, the pilgrims actually landed on Plymouth Rock because they ran out of ale. Yes, they drank alcoholic ale, all the time, even the kids. But, it was like 1.5% at the most. The everyday drinks for hydration did have alcohol but it was pretty weak, basically just enough to make it safe from organisms and stuff.

15. npetreley

npetreley New Member

The bold part is why they HAD to have less alcohol. Alcohol dehydrates, so drinking anything with strong alcohol content for hydration would be futile. There was enough to kill some bacteria, but not enough to dehydrate.

16. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Factual evidence of what? What is it that you think I am presenting? I am presenting that the bible mentions pressing grapes into a cup, which apparently you think the cavemen in the old testament were incapable of figuring out, and all they knew to do was mix puddle water with grape jelly or they had to drink pinot noir. But it isn't rocket science.

17. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Corndoggy, that the alcohlic content was much less has been mentioned a couple of times I do believe.

(everything has been mentioned at least a couple of times . . . ;) )

18. dan e.

dan e. New Member

true....everything has been mentioned a couple of times.

19. dan e.

dan e. New Member

true, everything has been mentioned a couple of times.

20. npetreley

npetreley New Member

The bible mentions pressing grapes into a cup in the SAME context of a dream that mentions blossoms become ripe grapes instantly!

You can't yank that out of context and conclude that was how they drank grape juice, and then even make a LARGER leap of logic and call it "new wine". If you can't admit that's improper exegesis, I have no more to say to you.