1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How old is your church?

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Salty, Nov 25, 2003.

1. lizzybee

lizzybee New Member

our church is celebrating it's Sesquicenntennial in 2004--our town celebrated it's Sesq. in 2003.

Our congregation has been the same congregation since 1854--it's our 3rd building due to fires that swept the town. It was built in 1901 and is so beautiful.

I love to imagine all the people who worshipped in those very pews, walked up those steps every Sun--pretty neat.

Malissa

2. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

Last July our church celebrated our 80th Anniversary. (but we don't look a day over 70 :eek: )

3. atestring

atestring New Member

started in April of 2002.

4. moira3

moira3 New Member

They aren't my churches, but in my hometown of Plymouth, Mass. there are some very old neat churches. I grew up down the street from an old Congregational church that is just beautiful with history.

5. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

June 10th, 1978 - 25+ years
    We met in multiple store fronts before moving into our current building in 1988

6. Jim Ellis

Jim Ellis New Member

My church, Licking Baptist Church will be celebrating 200 Years in 2007. :D

7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Spring Grove Primitive Baptist Church - Constituted March 30, 1974 at a south Houston Civic Club. Building purchased in northwest Houston on August 25, 1974. The building itself was built in the latter 1940's as a house.

We sold the building last year, but we're still meeting there through the end of this month. After that, who knows where we'll end up.

9. mortenview

mortenview New Member

The church I pastor will be 55 years old this coming October. We are an Independent Baptist Church. Used to be a BBFI affiliated church, but no longer.

Just a note .... less than 5% of the people in Washington State go to church or claim a particular religion.
    That's a lot different than in the Midwest or South where I have pastored and preached before coming here.

However, the folks are open to listening to the Gospel.

10. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Tumbling Creek Primitive Baptist Church, formally established as a church in 1786, but services were held at the spot at least as early as 1773. This was in territory that was officially proscribed for white settlement by the Treaty of Lochabar with the Cherokee Nation, but didn't stop folks from barging on in anyway. The Revolutionary War probably hindered an earlier formal constitution.

The present building was constructed of yellow poplar in 1853, and was used as a field hospital in October 1864 after the 1st Battle of Saltville. We have spent a good deal of time and money in the last couple of years improving and fixing the building, so perhaps it will survice another 150 years.

11. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church was built in the early 1940's. It is supposed to be the oldest Independent Baptist congregation in the state of Arizona. I know for a fact that it was the first Baptist church in our area which was mostly Mormon for nearly a century.

Jason

12. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

the church I attend is 55 years old.

13. dawna

dawna New Member

our church a couple of years ago just celerbrated its 200th birthday!!!

14. Rosell

Rosell New Member

My church just passed its third "official" birthday in January, 2004. The fellowship groups that met prior to joining together to form it are about a year older than that. So we're new kids on the block.

15. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

Rosell, I've got you beat I believe! Up until today we were a "church in prospect". We have been meeting together and doing all the things that a scriptural church does, but today, yes today Mar 7, 2004 we formed by Covenant. I was sent out by 1st Baptist Church, Lizton In. in Dec of 2003. We are not yet one day old.

Thanks ------Bart