1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How the Southern Strategy Made Donald Trump Possible

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Crabtownboy, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What we see today is the fulfillment, the logical end of the road of Nixon's Southern Strategy.

From: https://newrepublic.com/article/130039/southern-strategy-made-donald-trump-possible

Polling in South Carolina, which holds its Republican primary on Saturday, reveals the single most salient difference between Trump’s supporters and those of his rivals: They are much more likely to endorse white ethnic nationalism and to express nostalgia for traditional Southern racism.In light of this polling, Trump’s campaign can best be understood not as an outlier but as the latest manifestation of the Southern Strategy, which the Republican Party has deployed for a half-century to shore up its support in the old Confederate states by appeals to racial resentment and white solidarity.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where do we start? With the underlying conspiracy theory? The overt racism? Orrrrrrrrr......the stupidity of the entire op?

Oh I know.....How about the Democrat tickets available right now. Let's see, one old white lady who is rich and deeply tied to wall street and has some health issues she is trying to hide, orrrrrrrr................one very old white dude who is crazier than a loon. Is there any diversity available for the office of President of these United States?

Nope, but to distract from that fact they want to ignore the vast diversity on the Republican side and instead try to rehash some old conspiracy theory about a southern strategy from Republicans, which by the way, is a political tool to distract from the long history of racism from the Democrat party.

Yea, I think I will just stick with that one single fact.

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rev. I knew you would reply quickly and continue to spout Socrates cave comments. Your words were no surprise. I could have almost quoted them to you.

Rev. have you never read Lee Atwater's words about the Southern Strategy of Nixon and the Republicans. After all you cannot call him a Democrat. He was a Republican and an adviser for Reagan and Bush and was the Chairman of the Republican National Committee.

Read his words Rev.

Republican strategist Lee Atwater discussed the Southern strategy in a 1981 interview later published in Southern Politics in the 1990s by Alexander P. Lamis.[54][55][56][57]

Atwater: As to the whole Southern strategy that Harry Dent and others put together in 1968, opposition to the Voting Rights Act would have been a central part of keeping the South. Now [Reagan] doesn't have to do that. All you have to do to keep the South is for Reagan to run in place on the issues he's campaigned on since 1964 . . . and that's fiscal conservatism, balancing the budget, cut taxes, you know, the whole cluster...

Questioner: But the fact is, isn't it, that Reagan does get to the Wallace voter and to the racist side of the Wallace voter by doing away with legal services, by cutting down on food stamps?

Atwater: You start out in 1954 by saying, "Nigger, nigger, nigger." By 1968 you can't say "nigger" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "Nigger, nigger."

Or you can watch and listen to him in the interview at:

But thanks for the dumb label. Again I consider it a very large compliment.

Attached Files:

4. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Democrats are forever claiming that they voted against the Civil Rights Act in 1964 but then, 100 years after the Civil War, abandoned their racism.

But the facts do not support them. Democrats continued to win in the south. They swept the south in 1976 with Carter. As Delano said, not all Democrats are horse thieves... The last of the southern Democrat aristocrats Mary Landrieu was just defeated this year, double-crossed by her own party.

"...And what happened in the 1960s wasn’t the parties’ “changing places” on racism and civil rights; it was the Democrats’ — some of them, at least — joining the ranks of civilized human beings for the first time. It only took them a century."

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/394137/landrieus-loss-end-epoch-kevin-d-williamson

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The real southern strategy:

"These Negroes, they're getting pretty uppity these days and that's a problem for us since they've got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we've got to do something about this, we've got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference... I'll have them niggers voting Democratic for the next two hundred years".

Democrat President Lyndon Johnson

6. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It just could be that Trump does almost as well among Democrats as he does with Republicans. At any rate, a Trump or Rubio nomination indicates a likely Democrat victory of an elderly white communist or an elderly white lady whose husband did very well in the South himself.