1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How would you answer?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by PackerBacker, Jan 31, 2002.

1. paul hadik

paul hadik New Member

Packerbacker:

I have a friend who is a missionary and often gets those surveys every year and finds them frustrating also. I appreciate your being honest with your sending church. I notice from your tag that you are from Wisconsin.
    Good, they definitely need missionaries. It is apparent they are under divine wrath from watching their football team a couple weeks ago.
    Of course, this all brings up the separate issue of missionaries and deputation. Have you ever thought of you or your wife getting a full time job in the country to which you are thinking of serving? Not only will it improve your language skills, but you will spend more time with the people you have gone to serve. Most countries have small colleges looking to hire English teachers. Just a few hours a week and you can probably generate almost as much money as you would raise over 2 years of deputation.
    anyway, something to think about.

paul

2. PackerBacker

PackerBacker New Member

Hey come on guys. This topic is not about honesty, standards, jobs, or EB's secret knowledge of my inner thoughts and motives. ;) How would you answer the question I originally posted? A simple yes or no would be fine. Thanks

If you all want to talk about missionary surveys, let's start a new thread in the missions section.

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ernie Brazee:

Some pastors do have standardsa nd the Lord is blessing their churches because of it. Who are you people here to mock them for standing for righteousness, and holiness?

Kinda like the scribes and pharisees the Lord called hypocrtites

Ernie
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The question is whether these pastors are adhering to sound biblical standards or man made add-ons.

The Lord did condemn the Scribes and Pharisees. They revelled in their self-righteousness and added their own legalistic traditions to the law of God... sort of like declaring that only one English version of the Bible is correct to use when there is no biblical basis for it.

Standards are a matter of the heart. If they represent the outward workings of an inward spirit then great. But if they are the result of legalistic pressures then they have everything in common with phariseeism or judaizers and nothing in common with godliness.

4. PackerBacker

PackerBacker New Member

Looks like this thread is drifting away from it's original intent. Thanks for the input from those of you who answered.

My answer I sent in was "no". I explained that while I used the KJV I would never go so far to say that other versions are Satan's books. Contrary to EB's assumption, I explained that we wanted to be honest and that we would respect that churches decision to drop our support if our answer was not appropriate.