1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How would you deal with this?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by convicted1, Jun 5, 2011.

1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Bro. EW&F asked me this:
    To which I responded with this:
    EW&F:
    The reason why I started this here is because the thread this was in got closed before I could respond.

Now, the first step to alcoholism/drug addiction is to first realize you have a problem. Anyone who doesn't realize they have a problem, will not seek for help. As far as for what I'd do? The only thing I can/could do is talk with them, and pray for them. They have to put an oar in the water, too.

Alcoholism/drug addiction is a sin, but it is a sin of "choice". I have been places where they passed the "doobie" around, and I just kept on passing it to someone else....I chose not to smoke it. Sin is a choice, no matter what you make of it. Sure, we have the curse of death placed upon us because of what Adam did, but it's our sins that cause us to die spiritually.

So, what would y'all do if confronted with a drug addict/alcoholic who sought you for help? Here's what I'd do:

Step 1) I would ask them what caused them to fall into this addiction.
    Step 2) Why did you seek out me for help?
    Step 3) Ask them, "Do you realize that you can do this if you want to?"
    Step 4) At the end of the "drying out" process, I'd give them a list of good CHRISTian people they could talk to, if they have the "urge" to fall back into their old habits.

I know that this may not be in the correct order, because this is coming off the top of my head. Plus, there could be other things that I would add to this list. But addiction is no different than any other sin, its a choice to either do something, or not. But until you realize there is a problem, you won't seek out help. It's that way with me. Until I realized I was a sinner, I didn't seek after God. But when God showed me how wretched, vile, and totally lost I was, I then knew I needed help. I went to church and talked to people and read the bible and got the "counselling" I need. On May 24, 2007, I was healed of my "addiction", which was sin.

i am I AM's!!

Willis

PS Please feel free to add to the list I have provided....like I said, it may not be in the order I'd do it in, plus there could be other things I could think of later...please chime in y'all!!